Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello has resigned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yabadabado wrote: »
    H Redknapp 8/15
    J Mourinho 9/1
    R Hodgson 11/1
    Alan Pardew 14/1
    M O'Neill 16/1
    A Wenger 16/1
    S Pearce 18/1
    G Hiddink 18/1
    C Ancelotti 20/1
    Not much in the betting there.I suppose they will try to get Harry as part time until the end of the season and then make him permanent.
    Hiddink is the only one of them not in a job at the moment.

I'm amazed Pearce is so far out. especially behind the likes of Wenger would I wouldnt expect to be near the job. Not right now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Beefy78 wrote: »
    But England do have a chance of winning every tournament they enter. They're knockout cup competitions.

That's the kind of delusion that puts the England squad under so much pressure. Aside from the hometown decision in 1966, they've won nothing. The ability to grasp this important reality, would certainly make any new managers job a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

SlickRic wrote: »
    you're right...Capello's shíte.

that last tournament had nothing to do with players acting like brats, trying to undermine Capello, change his gameplan, and some of them putting in some of the worst performances of English players ever...lead by Terry trying to convince him that Joe Cole should've been playing.

this all after Capello had lead them to as smooth a qualifying campaign as England could hope for.

sure bring in 'Arry.

he's won far more anyway.

So Capello can't control the squad? I really don't see why he should be manager then. Those post match press conferences were so embarrassing.

It is the managers job to control the dressing room and bring out the best in his players. If he cannot do that then he has failed.

Who cares who has won what. It has obviously not mattered.

Roy Hodgson 3rd favourite :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Has anyone mentioned Terry Venables as a caretaker yet? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Roy Hodgson 3rd favourite :pac::pac::pac:

He's clearly not a proven manager at every level and his career started and ended with Liverpool. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I really have to LOL at how some of the English tabloids are spinning this, "CAPELLO HAD IT COMING NOTHING BUT WEAK PERFORMANCES" "THE ROT SETS IN AFTER THE LOSS TO GERMANY" haha. Some of the comments from English fans underneath make me think they're just as deluded. ( Not trying to generalize ! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

kmart6 wrote: »
    Why?! So you can be mature and abuse him?!

And why not?, there is more than one way to attack a man's xenophobia without insulting him.

Kirby wrote: »
    He's clearly not a proven manager at every level and his career started and ended with Liverpool. :rolleyes:

You think he's good enough to manage England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

That's the kind of delusion that puts the England squad under so much pressure. Aside from the hometown decision in 1966, they've won nothing. The ability to grasp this important reality, would certainly make any new managers job a lot easier.

What are they going for so, the laugh of it? How's that pressure, you go to a tournament to win it, why else would you go? This is a bad enough mindset for a country like Ireland to have, let alone a country with 60 million, where football is the number 1 sport.

• Advertisement

Delusion? English clubs have been at the fore of European football for the past 15 years, and at many other times since 1966 including the Notts Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa era in Europe. Do not see why expectations should be low.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Get a man in that has only an FA cup to his name :o

As with the Harry thread, plenty of coaches with lots more medals have failed, so why not?

International management is far removed from club football. How many club coaches wouldnt have many of their medals if they couldnt buy players but instead had to limit their choices to a specific pool of players?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Roy Hodgson would be a decent appointment actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's not delusion. Greece and Denmark have won major tournaments in the last 20 years.

England and Ireland can both win Euro2012. They almost certainly won't because there are far better teams than both but both should be going into this tournament believing they can win and doing everything they can to make sure they do.

Englands loss really

Stroke of genius by Capello too so he doesnt have to endure another major tournament with them and damage his reputation more then the WC did.

I agree with his decision to walk on principle alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

It wouldn't matter if Pep, Jose, Hiddink did a Holy Trinity, became one person and applied for the job, this is Harry's.

Part time maybe til the end of the season, and then leave Spurs for the role full time. I really can't see him resigning from them now, not when they have a bit of a shot at the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

greendom wrote: »
    Yes they'll probably end up having to give it to a man who can't text, doesn't know how to use the internet, fax machine or bank account. :D

Id say Bertie Ahern wouldnt be bothered.

IMO This would be the man for the job

53683142_45474784a9_o.jpg

and the England circus rolls on:D

What a joke. What other nation gives a toss about captaincy?

Probably a good few, but we dont get their papers or tv stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So Capello can't control the squad? I really don't see why he should be manager then. Those post match press conferences were so embarrassing.

It is the managers job to control the dressing room and bring out the best in his players. If he cannot do that then he has failed.

Who cares who has won what. It has obviously not mattered.

my attitude would be that Capello has controlled some players far more successful, and with far more reason to be spoiled brats, than that underachieving England team.

while yes, it is the responsibility of the manager to control the players, they're also grown adults, who i'm sure Fabio would never have expected to try to undermine him. then now the FA do the same with the Terry issue.

there's a small part of this that can be labelled as the fault of Capello. maybe he should've figured a way to get the respect of the players better. but most of the blame for any incident of indiscipline or undermining by the players is that the feet of the players. they're not children.

if Capello, who has lead them to as many victories as he has, cannot garner their respect. then i don't know who the English players will respect, and they need to take a look at themselves.

either way, the FA have handled the entire episode horrendously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

jive wrote: »

Likely starting 11
    Hart- V.good keeper, probably one of the best in Europe this year, inexperienced though
    Cole- Top player, hasn't been great this year probably in part due to Chelsea's back line being poor all season
    Terry?- hasn't been good this year, passed his best
    Cahill?- again hasn't been great, solid defender
    Johnson- been alright, not a world beater by any stretch
    Gerrard- Top player, hasn't seen much action for about a year
    Young- Good player, started season strong has had a dip in form though
    Barry- Solid player, not going to change a game though
    Parker- see Barry
    Rooney- Top player, hasn't hit the heights of 09/10 since being injured against Bayern
    Carroll- Had a good couple of months at Newcastle, has had injuries but looks average

]
    That would be a terrible England team.
    Harry likes to play with width as well likely to see two of Young, Lennon and Adam Johnson on the wings.

Cahill wouldn't make the starting eleven Terry questionable Johnson won't make the squad Richards and Walker would be much better options. Barry for Milner as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

kryogen wrote: »

I agree with his decision to walk on principle alone

+1, once his authority was undermined it was curtains on the relationship with the FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Harry Redknapp says he'll only do the England manager's job for the Euros. As long as they are used and untraceable.

Harry likes to play with width as well likely to see two of Young, Lennon and Adam Johnson on the wings.

Cahill wouldn't make the starting eleven Terry questionable Johnson won't make the squad Richards and Walker would be much better options. Barry for Milner as well.

Welbeck will surely start while Rooney is banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

daithijjj wrote: »
    Watch the wheel turn people. Redknapp now to be built up by media as the messiah and starting from the minute he walks in the door he will systematically be dismantled by the same people who build him up in tomorrow's papers.

Fair play to Capello, admire the guy to be honest, stuck to his guns and knows that team will do nothing imho.
    "Now" to be built up? They've being building him up for this job for 2 years! But yeah, completely agree
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Redknapp would be mad to walk out on Spurs now,he's doing a fantastic job there.
    To walk out on them and into that thankless poison chalice of a job would be madness.
    A poison chalice that's basically a part time job that pays about 5 million a year. Not bad if you're 65 years old. 5 year contract cos you know you're the only one the media will accept, even if you get sacked in 2 years you can't lose.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Capello's own fault for reinstating Terry as Captain. Did he ever even explain why he thought that was a good idea?
    He did. He said Terry was innocent until proven guilty.

I think the FA could struggle to find a manager,why would any manager with a brain want to take the England job,everything about it stinks of BS,even when England won game Capello was still doing something wrong the man couldnt win,so fair play to him for packing it in,Englands loss imo

Meh, people keep taking the Real Madrid job when it comes up.

Big Sam is interested, Madrid can wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Capello back to Real in the summer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Redknapp would be mad to walk out on Spurs now,he's doing a fantastic job there.
    To walk out on them and into that thankless poison chalice of a job would be madness.

Agreed. Doesn't mean he won't do it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_M%C3%B8ller_Nielsen

Clearly the man to take on the challenge in difficult circumstances.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Phil Jones for player-manager! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As Adrian Chiles just said on ITV that Capello was getting fed up with the FA anyway, over a long period and the FA were probably fed up with him,as were the fans.The FA also end up saving $hit loads of money on a pay-off.

Suits everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Capello back to Real in the summer .

Not a hope. He won the league and they sacked him! Capello/Mourinho to Spurs. Or maybe, if I'm going for an accum, Capello to City if they don't win the league, Mancini to Real and Mourinho to Spurs. I'd like to see an accum with those odds!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'm not saying it'd be the best England team, I was just throwing out a likely starting 11. Either way look at the players you want to put in. Lennon has played 4 times internationally in 2010 + 2011 and has never scored an international goal. Johnson doesn't even start regularly at club level, he has 7 starts this year.

Richards/Walker/Johnson are one and the same in terms of quality IMO, Richards would get the nod from me but he has just 12 caps since appearing in 2006, Walker has 2 caps. You don't really want that inexperience at a major tournament.

My point still stands!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    "Now" to be built up? They've being building him up for this job for 2 years! But yeah, completely agree

Up until now it was mild due to the court case. Warp speed now.

Incidentally, today is the perfect day for people to recognise how xenophobic England and its media really is. Here is the view of the average football fan in England and the media they read....1. We dont want no blaaady foreigner as England manager. 2. Kick racism out of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

The english FA are an embarrassment. I always thought Capello was far to good for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

I remember reading a comparison before on how previous managers of England changed their selection process over time with pressure from the media having an effect on team selection. I think it was how Sven picked Barmby and Trevor Sinclair for the 5-1 win over Germany in Munich as they suited the game best etc etc but overtime he became more influenced by the media with his selection.

I think Capello just had enough and the FA not consulting him was the final straw. Reading some of the tweets by English journos and footballing figures is laughable.

Wait and see how long Harry lasts. Guarantee is wont be four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

51288010.jpgimage_preview.php?i=76&u=12879241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

jive wrote: »
    I'm not saying it'd be the best England team, I was just throwing out a likely starting 11. Either way look at the players you want to put in. Lennon has played 4 times internationally in 2010 + 2011 and has never scored an international goal. Johnson doesn't even start regularly at club level, he has 7 starts this year.

Richards/Walker/Johnson are one and the same in terms of quality IMO, Richards would get the nod from me but he has just 12 caps since appearing in 2006, Walker has 2 caps. You don't really want that inexperience at a major tournament.

My point still stands!
    Not really imo Richards is far superior to Walker and Johnson, Lennon has been unfortunate with injuries and would of played more if it wasn't for them how Capello kept over looking Richards though was unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Stubborn from Capello imo. Yes the FA undermined him, but how important is the captaincy anyway? It's more symbolic than anything else. He didn't have to resign, he could have just carried on and went with the hand he was dealt with.

Also agree with one of the other posters in this thread about Capello not being all that for England. While he has shown over his career that he's a quality manager, sometimes things just don't work out and it doesn't mean he was necessarily quality for England. I don't think things were working out as well as they could have been - yes his friendly and qualification results were generally very good but as said already he utterly failed at the one competition he was in with them - World Cup 2010. You can blame the players, the media, this and that all you want but at the end of the day the buck stops with the manager.

For me, he was making some bizarre decisions like not picking Richards and playing Gary Cahill at the back who was woefully out of form. Other decisions raised a few eyebrows as well - Heskey starting at the last World Cup being one of them.

Just my opinion, I think Redknapp could do a good job with the talent he has at his disposal, that's if he takes the job which I will imagine he'll be offered. I could see him playing some of the younger players that deserve it instead of the likes of Bent. Staying at Tottenham until the end of the season and taking the England job now as well, wouldn't really see the issue with that either. I doubt he'd leave Tottenham high and dry mid season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    At least one player will be delighted.

1321853045-85.jpg

Good move by Capello imo.

Not sure, this fella could be the real winner there ;)

Kyle-Walker-Tottenham-Hotspur-Player-Profile_2670823.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Odds on next permanent England Manager:-

Harry Redknapp 2/7
    Stuart Pearce 5/1
    Guus Hiddink 7/1
    Roy Hodgson 12/1
    Alan Pardew 14/1
    Jose Mourinho 14/1
    Arsene Wenger 18/1
    Rafael Benítez 20/1
    Martin O'Neill 25/1
    Pep Guardiola 25/1
    Roberto Mancini 33/1
    Sam Allardyce 40/1
    Brendan Rodgers 40/1
    David Moyes 50/1
    Carlo Ancelotti 50/1
    Tony Pulis 50/1
    Sven Goran Eriksson 50/1
    David Beckham 66/1
    Steve Bruce 66/1
    Alex Ferguson 66/1
    Mark Hughes 66/1
    Marcelo Lippi 66/1
    Paul Lambert 66/1
    Alan Shearer 66/1
    Gianfranco Zola 100/1
    Steve McClaren 100/1
    Frank Rijkaard 100/1
    Phil Scolari 100/1

It will be such a fall for Harry, all these years building up relationships with journos and in a few months they will have put so many knives into him he will have to be identified by dental records......

The only reason to take the job from a footballing point of view is ego.

The money is great alright, and Id take the job for that alone.

I have had an idea for who could just take over for the Euros

Step forward..............

work.5309002.2.flat,550x550,075,f.mike-bassett-england-manager.jpg

Mike Bassett

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hart

Richards Smalling Jones Gibbs

Johnson Wilshere Cleverley Chamberlin

Welbeck Rooney

Sturridge, Baines, Young, Walker, Rodwell, Morrison (if he doesn't end up in prison), Tunnicliffe...

Future doesn't look too bleak, I think the 11 above could be incredible tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The English football team is the greatest soap opera in sport. I especially love it when they get new managers. There's this sense of blind optimism with an undercurrent of "This time it's going to be different!".

If Harry gets the job expect the press to be gushing like the Americans the day after Obama won the election. Of course one man can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. However this fact can never be mentioned and the sense of delusion and entitlement surrounding England's place at the top table of world football must be maintained at all cost. So in the end Harry will be blamed and a new saviour will be lined up.

AlKRtCzCIAAX1WS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

daithijjj wrote: »
    The FA is a combination of the 'cribbers corner' in the most distasteful golf club you can imagine crossed with the most expensive kindergarten imaginable. Get a feel for the press, move on changing opinion, totally and completely spineless and its mirrored on the pitch for as long as ive been alive.

Have to say daithijjj, you've been preaching the truth on this subject today. Some spot on posting sir!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

2co3rsm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Blatter wrote: »
    Stubborn from Capello imo. Yes the FA undermined him, but how important is the captaincy anyway? It's more symbolic than anything else. He didn't have to resign, he could have just carried on and went with the hand he was dealt with.

I think Capello just finally decided it's not worth the hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Jaysus, have the English FA shafted Fabio Capello for "I didn't do it" dodgy geezer 'arry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Jaysus, have the English FA shafted Fabio Capello for "I didn't do it" dodgy geezer 'arry.

He didnt do it, I believe NOT GUILTY means NOT GUILTY!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement