Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello has resigned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Rooney's 2 cents
    Gutted capello has quit. Good guy and top coach. Got to be english to replace him. Harry redknapp for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Jaysus, have the English FA shafted Fabio Capello for "I didn't do it" dodgy geezer 'arry.

He didnt do it, I believe NOT GUILTY means NOT GUILTY!!

Not guilty and innocent are two VERY different things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Blatter wrote: »
    Stubborn from Capello imo. Yes the FA undermined him, but how important is the captaincy anyway? It's more symbolic than anything else. He didn't have to resign, he could have just carried on and went with the hand he was dealt with.

Also agree with one of the other posters in this thread about Capello not being all that for England. While he has shown over his career that he's a quality manager, sometimes things just don't work out and it doesn't mean he was necessarily quality for England. I don't think things were working out as well as they could have been - yes his friendly and qualification results were generally very good but as said already he utterly failed at the one competition he was in with them - World Cup 2010. You can blame the players, the media, this and that all you want but at the end of the day the buck stops with the manager.

For me, he was making some bizarre decisions like not picking Richards and playing Gary Cahill at the back who was woefully out of form. Other decisions raised a few eyebrows as well - Heskey starting at the last World Cup being one of them.

Just my opinion, I think Redknapp could do a good job with the talent he has at his disposal, that's if he takes the job which I will imagine he'll be offered. I could see him playing some of the younger players that deserve it instead of the likes of Bent. Staying at Tottenham until the end of the season and taking the England job now as well, wouldn't really see the issue with that either. I doubt he'd leave Tottenham high and dry mid season.

A bad world cup, but knocked out by a brilliant german team on form, and if you remember the game, England were all over them for a period where lampard "scored".
    The heskey decision was hailed as brilliant by most journalists before the WC. I remember stuff along the lines of "If rooney could play along side any striker in the world, it would be heskey".
    Saying this, I hate spurs and 'arry. So spurs losing a manager is good, and harry making a balls of it will be nice to see too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A bad world cup, but knocked out by a brilliant german team on form, and if you remember the game, England were all over them for a period where lampard "scored".
    The heskey decision was hailed as brilliant by most journalists before the WC. I remember stuff along the lines of "If rooney could play along side any striker in the world, it would be heskey".
    Saying this, I hate spurs and 'arry. So spurs losing a manager is good, and harry making a balls of it will be nice to see too.

Gooner???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

He didnt do it, I believe NOT GUILTY means NOT GUILTY!!

The boys on Newstalk there played an interesting audio piece with 'arry and a journalist in a taped phone conversation. His story about a bank account named after his dog sounds a bit dodge don't ya think. A bit like Bertie when he says "I won it on da horses, your honour" or something to that affect.

Aye "a diamond geezer is our 'arry", the tabloids will proclaim, before they have the knives out for him when England fail to live up to their false expectations again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I think the F.A going over Capello's head by just stripping J.T of the captaincy without consulting him was wrong, that's if it happened like that of course.

The F.A should of consulted him on the decision, he is by nature a stubborn man so i think the outcome would of probably remained the same anyway.

I also believe this is not a bad outcome for Capello or the F.A, i reckon he didn't want to be there anymore anyway because lets be honest the captaincy is meaningless to be fair and the decision would of effected nothing, the decision probably would of improved things, this was just an excuse he jumped on in order to leave. I also don't think the F.A will lose any sleep over his decision either.

Capello only plays one way and hes stint at England has been overrated IMO and i don't think England are set up to play his style effectively.

I think Harry could do a far better job with the talent that is available, i also think the players themselves would take to Harry far better than they took to Capello.

Gooner???
    No, don't support anyone in UK at all.
    The boys on Newstalk there played an interesting audio piece with 'arry and a journalist in a taped phone conversation. His story about a bank account named after his dog sounds a bit dodge don't ya think. A bit like Bertie when he says "I won it on da horses, your honour" or something to that affect.

Aye "a diamond geezer is our 'arry", the tabloids will proclaim, before they have the knives out for him when England fail to live up to their false expectations again.

James Pearce was covering the entire trial for BBC and doing twitter updates. He sat through the entire thing in court. Someone asked him what he thought, and he said the jury had to come to the not guilty verdict, just wasn't enough evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

kmart6 wrote: »
    Rooney's 2 cents

Exactly whats wrong with the set up over there at the moment.

No, don't support anyone in UK at all.

Just wondering, why the hate for Spurs?

• Advertisement

Rooney's 2 cents

Keane just said Rooney should keep his nose out of it :pac:

Said he hardly helped Capello with his own antics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

It looks like Capello may have walked for another reason.
    If true the Kudos for him sticking by his principles were wasted.

Looks like he's off for more big bucks in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The 'got to be English' brigade would do well to remember Steve McClaren and Graham Taylor, and that a domestic appointment is not always the best idea.

The 'got to be English' brigade would do well to remember Steve McClaren and Graham Taylor, and that a domestic appointment is not always the best idea.

After Redknapp, it'll be "get a foreign manager".

Goes in cycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

What exaclty has Roy Keane said???

Their fans. And delusions of grandeur. I probably know more spurs fans than any other club too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

EdenHazard wrote: »
    What exaclty has Roy Keane said???

Criticising Rooney for suggesting Arry as next manager on Twitter, and that he should just focus on his club duties for now. He's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

AlKLbfvCMAAtvMk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Redknapp would be a complete fool to take over England right now. He has really built something on the brink of greatness at Spurs. They are playing attractive football and winning games. They have some fantastic players and never had a club had such a good chance of really mounting a serious challenge in one of THE most competitive PL's ever.

I'm pretty sure 'arry knows this, he should never take the job full-time because the FA are an utter joke, the media are disgusting regarding the manager at times and so many fans are unrealistic regarding their chances. He has the complete backing at Spurs from everyone. Walking away now would surely leave an incredible feeling of unfinished business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rooney is an idiot for suggesting Redknapp for manager on Twitter lol

He's right.

Keane is always right ***says in Dunphy rant voice****

• Advertisement

Footballers should be banned from social networking.

They haven't the intelligence for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The soap opera that is the England football set up never fails to deliver!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

I can see sky sports and other journos basically hounding Harry into the job. He is the guy that they love to love in England.

If another "foreigner" gets the top job then supporters will be up in arms that Harry didnt get the job.

From Harrys point of view its a chance to manage the national team, something he always wanted to do. England are in the Euros, and he doesnt need to qualify or anything.
    If he takes over and England fail then people will say give him a chance, its Capellos team and not Harrys. If he takes over and they win the Euros then he will soon be Sir Harry and can live of that glory for years.

There is nothing stopping Harry from taking the job now, he has already taken Spurs to the champions league before and its unlikely he is going to win a league title really.

In Kyle Walker and Scott Parker he has two of the top players in England right now and of course he would love to work with Frank Lampard too.

I think right now there has never been a better time for Harry to take the job but I hope as a Spurs fan he shows the same beliefs and ethics he applauded the chairman for in the Modric saga last summer and stays on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You couldn't make this up ......brilliant spectator sport this :-) a top international coach undermined, out the door and all the little ingerlanders wetting themselves over a shister who in what 30 odd years has one FA cup to show for it, and that experiment ( pompey) ended in his signings bankrupting the club ( but not the dog thankfully )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bit of a tough spot for 'Arry. Will the media turn on him if he turns down the job, I wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

They really are a joke over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Looks like the FA have messed up again. Was there any legal reason why they couldn't investigate the racism allegations against Terry, and punish him if they found him guilty before the court case? It has been suggested that there is, but I haven't seen it stated explicitly.

If there was no legal requirement to postpone their own investigation, then doing so was incredibly gutless and shows a serious lack of character and leadership. If they really couldn't proceed until after the court case, they were in a difficult position, but made the wrong call. It's their right to choose the manager, it's the manager's right to choose his team, his squad and his captain.

I don't agree with Capello wanting Terry as his captain, but I agree completely with him insisting on his right to make his own choice. We'll see what happens, but I think England needed Capello more than Capello needed England.

Some people are really annoying me, his name is Harry not Arry. Feckin children :mad:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bit of a tough spot for 'Arry. Will the media turn on him if he turns down the job, I wonder?

He knows he can name his price for the job. Rooney has even tweeted that he want harry. The entire english media want him. Harry could ask the FA for 10 million a year. What can they do? He's the only english manager that can do it, which means he's the only manager that can do it.
    And you get a free shot at a major competition. It doesn't matter how the team performs, he has the excuse of being thrown in at the deep end. And it's his last chance to do it as he's 65 next month.

There's so many things in harrys favour here it's actually frightening. Love to see england not get out of their group though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think any decent manager would take a job where they are not in full control of picking their squad and captain.

For me the FA have just made the job a lot less attractive to top managers.
    I personally think Harry Redknapp would be foolish to take the job now. He should wait and let somebody make a mess of it first and then step in as the saviour and on his own terms. In the meantime he can stay in charge of a club that looks to be on the verge of something big with a quality squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

NinjaK wrote: »
    They really are a joke over there

Who are you referring to here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Some people are really annoying me, his name is Harry not Arry. Feckin children :mad:

It's a tough spot for you but that comes across as being slightly over-sensitive.

It's affectionate more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ITV Headline news after the Boro v Sunderland game tonight -

"Capello walks out on England, Capello turns his back on England"

They love to blame everyone but themselves.

I'd say he resigned over being undermined to be honest. Surely the manager has the right to say who is and who isn't captain of the team, ridiculous that the FA have that power.

I don't blame him walking.

Roy Keane was right what he said this evening at the end of the above match that Wayne Rooney should be concentrating on his football instead of tweeting about Harry Redknapp should be next manager, they should all tweet off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭TheLynx

England have a host of up and coming young players e.g Sturridge, Jones, chamberlain etc

would like to see a manager whoever it may be take England to a world cup and do well as the potential is there to become contenders again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Who is this fúcking tool on SSN??

''We don't want these foreigners managing our country!!'' :eek:

The vitriolic character assassination by this Daily Mail Jeff Powell lad on Sky News is incredible.. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All the talk about how Capello did but in reality the players in the squad are just not as good as what the English media write them up to be.

Yes, there are some class players there like Rooney & Gerrard etc but the squad was found lacking in many departments.

Some said they underperformed but I think they actually played at their true level.
    This is backed up by Terry's call for Joe Cole to be their saviour, and we all know how well he has played since 2010.

Also, what is the England obsession with the captain anyway.....I think many Irish people would have to think for a bit before remembering that Keane is Irish captain, it's just not a big issue.

Now we're faced with the likely coronation of 'Arry, who will soon discover that he won't be able to roll down his car window on transfer deadline day and tell Sky Sports News what new players he's bought for England.

Press are going to build him up till June, lots of English will think they will win Euro 2012 because of media hype of new regime, England will be one of the bookies favourites only because the English have swallowed the hype and backed them and then it will all start to go wrong like every tournament, Redknapp's honeymoon will end and he'll wish he had been found guilty of tax evasion.

Finally: Why are English calling for an English manager? They have all failed in the past? This has led to Stewart Pearse being second favourite in the betting.despite being a failure as a coach and playing career defined by being 'hard' and two penalties separated by 6 years of tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Capello had the best win percentage of any permanent England manager. Gonna be very hard to replace.

512874100.jpg?Expires=1328732436&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=ar6FpS~aM5VlDg~NCFK8vs~sgm3u7HmTdBIeaBi5IDKVh5i~wkbKp5z-5fy3mSv~BH3lxUZ2spnS0N4rT8D6lrLoBJwYGO80uLjfhdAQCdKbEyym2S7PM4cE1bt33BD7kzPGdXLen0C5yj3WFRbuNymQUO~2m30j6nQM0Q0onY0_

And John Terry the captain with the highest win stats.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I see even Michael Owen has shared his opinion on it tonight. You will never play for England again, now back into your box theres a good lad :p

Looks like the FA have messed up again. Was there any legal reason why they couldn't investigate the racism allegations against Terry, and punish him if they found him guilty before the court case? It has been suggested that there is, but I haven't seen it stated explicitly.

If there was no legal requirement to postpone their own investigation, then doing so was incredibly gutless and shows a serious lack of character and leadership. If they really couldn't proceed until after the court case, they were in a difficult position, but made the wrong call. It's their right to choose the manager, it's the manager's right to choose his team, his squad and his captain.

I don't agree with Capello wanting Terry as his captain, but I agree completely with him insisting on his right to make his own choice. We'll see what happens, but I think England needed Capello more than Capello needed England.
    They could not investigate it as it was/is a police matter as the allegation was made to them!

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I see even Michael Owen has shared his opinion on it tonight. You will never play for England again, now back into your box theres a good lad :p
    Imagine that, an ex England player who was one of their best strikers ever sharing his opinion, the cheek of him, I hope he takes your advice and get's back in his box!

:rolleyes:

They could not investigate it as it was/is a police matter as the allegation was made to them!

That's what the FA are saying, but unless they are prohibited by law it's a cop-out. They are aware of what happened, they need to make a decision on the matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Good man Capello. Best decision you have made since being in charge of England. FA deserve the headache.

Rafa for the job :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Football in england is a bloody disgrace in my opinion.This whole JT saga and the carry on of the FA just says it all really.Its one drama after another with the carry on of certain players and all this twitter business has taken the focus away from football.I take my hat off to capello for walking away from the job!

That's what the FA are saying, but unless they are prohibited by law it's a cop-out. They are aware of what happened, they need to make a decision on the matter.
    I'm sure if they could investigate it they would have been called on it at this stage!!

The FA are too easily swayed by the gutter press. When an issue comes up they need to make a decision without waiting to see what the press say about it.

I'd love to see Hodgson get the job. It would be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Handy for the English media.

They now have a pre-prepared excuse for under-performing in the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Jayob10 wrote: »

I will loosely but succinctly translate Owen's tweets into one 'short'.

"the next England manager must consider my reputation".

As it happens, i think Harry should definitely be the New England manager, i think he could take the Patriots all the way to Superbowl glory next year.

*yea, ok im going, night*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

daithijjj wrote: »
    As it happens, i think Harry should definitely be the New England manager, i think he could take the Patriots all the way to Superbowl glory next year.

*yea, ok im going, night*

Haha it took me a bit, but very well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Their fans. And delusions of grandeur. I probably know more spurs fans than any other club too.
    That's because were better than you, and we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

We will bounce back like we always do were England, were fighters and will win the euros

• Advertisement
Advertisement