Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello has resigned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The FA are such idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yet another English manager gone due to off the pitch political farce in the circus that is the FA.

How many managers have been forced out of the job due to the gutter press and political correctness gone mad.

Terry Venables ,stepped down due to off-the-field business dealings
    Glenn Hoddle, sacked after a farcical witch hunt over comments made about his faith.
    Sven,the fake Sheik affair :D
    and now Capello.

England will never win anything with a) their media and b) the FA .
    One is as bad as the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭briany

God, the England circus rarely disappoints. Once again they have shot themselves in the foot with in fighting. At least this time they have done it before the tournament when there's still a chance of rallying and giving it a fresh go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Bring back Mike Bassett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Bring back Mike Bassett.

4 more years !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

kakee wrote: »
    I can see sky sports and other journos basically hounding Harry into the job. He is the guy that they love to love in England.

If another "foreigner" gets the top job then supporters will be up in arms that Harry didnt get the job.

From Harrys point of view its a chance to manage the national team, something he always wanted to do. England are in the Euros, and he doesnt need to qualify or anything.
    If he takes over and England fail then people will say give him a chance, its Capellos team and not Harrys. If he takes over and they win the Euros then he will soon be Sir Harry and can live of that glory for years.

There is nothing stopping Harry from taking the job now, he has already taken Spurs to the champions league before and its unlikely he is going to win a league title really.

In Kyle Walker and Scott Parker he has two of the top players in England right now and of course he would love to work with Frank Lampard too.

I think right now there has never been a better time for Harry to take the job but I hope as a Spurs fan he shows the same beliefs and ethics he applauded the chairman for in the Modric saga last summer and stays on.
    Walker wouldn't play for England yet I don't think, looking at Mondays game when Glen Johnson dealt with him comfortably for 90mins I can't see how he is going to take the shirt from Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

BTW, anyone see the FAI's Facebook page earlier?

They put up a status saying that Capello is gone and the boys in green will be delighted, followed by a loada ant-english comments from people.

Its been since deleted though, unsurprisingly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Harry would be best off agreeing to take it just for the Euros, for now, while also managing Spurs. That way, he'd get to dip his feet into the water with them, manage at a major tournament and see if it's for him. He'll also get to see how Spurs can finish the season and can think about which he'd rather hold on to.

If he jumped ship now, it'd be foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The whole JT thing stinks. So the FA didn't want someone as captain if they might be racist but it's OK to be part of the squad! wtf?
    Either they want him in or not or is this some new grade of 'might be a racist' that I don't know about?
    Capello was right to stand by his principles, previously he removed captaincy from Terry why did the FA question his judgement second time round just before a major tournament?
    If I wanted to make an excuse before a major tournament I would have done exactly what the FA just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

That's what the FA are saying, but unless they are prohibited by law it's a cop-out. They are aware of what happened, they need to make a decision on the matter.

If the FA punish Terry before the trial it could easily be argued it is prejudicial to the criminal proceedings which could lead the criminal proceedings to being thrown out.

They definitely are prohibited.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rio on twitter now backing Redknapp for manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Bit daft of the players coming out saying they want Harry Redknapp...fair enough if he takes/gets the job. But if he doesnt, anyone else is like second best and immediately starts off on the wrong foot so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

The_B_Man wrote: »
    BTW, anyone see the FAI's Facebook page earlier?

They put up a status saying that Capello is gone and the boys in green will be delighted, followed by a loada ant-english comments from people.

Its been since deleted though, unsurprisingly!

That's a bit sad really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Sky News have been disgraceful on this. Watched them for ten minutes at around 8.20am. Capello just didnt "get" the seriousness of Terry's charge and must be a cultural thing according to Sky :pac: They then went on to put forward the notion that he was a greedy little man.
    The English deserve failure. They dont know how to win. All this is is a massive collective consciousness denial as they dont think they are good enough in the first place so therefore sabotage their own chances at every opportunity.
    Capello built the Milan team of 1994. His management credentials will always be above reproach in my eyes. Yet the English think he is rubbish. Laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Sky News have been disgraceful on this. Watched them for ten minutes at around 8.20am. Capello just didnt "get" the seriousness of Terry's charge and must be a cultural thing according to Sky :pac: They then went on to put forward the notion that he was a greedy little man.
    The English deserve failure. They dont know how to win. All this is is a massive collective consciousness denial as they dont think they are good enough in the first place so therefore sabotage their own chances at every opportunity.
    Capello built the Milan team of 1994. His management credentials will always be above reproach in my eyes. Yet the English think he is rubbish. Laughable

Capello picked Green for the world cup.
    He brought Heskey and played him.
    He brought Ledley King to a tournament?
    Sacked JT as captain after wayne bridge incident-Sacked Rio ferdinand as captain without telling him and reinstated JT?.

thats only a few of his mistakes. Terrible manager of England imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

FA statement at 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You lot make me laugh, going on about the English press and expectations. Your problem is the Irish press re-printing/re-broadcasting everything that comes out of London. If you were constantly exposed to all of France's or Germany's press coverage then you'd likely be saying the same things about them.

Expectations? I don't know an English person who expects to win things. We expect to make the quarter finals of tournaments, we hope to make the semi finals but the dreams and the plans are to win one. Look at how fondly regarded Robson & Venables are for making the last four of Italia 90 & Euro 96. There's nothing wrong with those expectations and as a country with a population of 60m, whose three main sports are football, football & football, who are usually in the top ten in the rankings, usually qualify for tournaments and whose clubs feature at the business end of the Champions League most years they seem fairly realistic expectations.

Ireland are just as 'bad' so get your own house in order if an over the top media and unrealistic expecations are so bad. The morning after you beat Australia in the Rugby World Cup the papers were all full of stories about the route to the final. Can Ireland win? When you get knocked out it's a disaster, a failure and there are post-mortems. You lose to a strong Wales side last weekend and the papers are full of over-reaction and recriminations.

Part of living in sports-loving countries is striving for success, part of being a fan is dreaming the dream. Otherwise what is the point? And the media, in England, Ireland and every other country where sport means something feed off of that.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    You lot make me laugh, going on about the English press and expectations. Your problem is the Irish press re-printing/re-broadcasting everything that comes out of London. If you were constantly exposed to all of France's or Germany's press coverage then you'd likely be saying the same things about them.

Expectations? I don't know an English person who expects to win things. We expect to make the quarter finals of tournaments, he hope to make the semi finals but the dreams and the plans are to win one. Looks at how fondly regarded Robson & Venables are for making the last four of Italia 90 & Euro 96. There's nothing wrong with those and as a country with a population of 60m, whose three main sports are football, football & football, who are usually in the top ten in the rankings, usually qualify for tournaments and whose clubs feature at the business end of the Champions League most years they seem fairly realistic expectations.

Ireland are just as 'bad' so get your own house in order if an over the top media and unrealistic expecations are so bad. The morning after you beat Australia in the Rugby World Cup the papers were all full of stories about the route to the final. Can Ireland win? When you get knocked out it's a disaster, a failure and there are post-mortems. You lose to a strong Wales side last weekend and the papers are full of over-reaction and recriminations.

Part of living in sports-loving countries is striving for success, part of being a fan is dreaming the dream. Otherwise what is the point? And the media, in England, Ireland and every other country where sport means something feed off of that.

Why are you talking about rugby?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Great post Beefy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Big Sam is in for the job, via Twitter*

Just spent the last two hours on the phone to the FA. I can confirm, however, that nothing has been agreed.

It could have been very different, though, if the ***** let me speak to someone other than Wendy the ****ing cleaner.
    :pac:

*Not Sam Allardyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Beefy78 wrote: »

OK take your post reverse it and that's closer to the truth. There was no post mortem after the world cup in fact it's what I like about rugby. Getting knocked out of a world cup IS a disaster and a failure what did you want us to do, rejoice? There was no post mortem. We all accepted we had been beaten by a better team who had done their homework on us better than we had on them. So your entire post is nonsense!

MyKeyG wrote: »
    OK take your post reverse it and that's closer to the truth. There was no post mortem after the world cup in fact it's what I like about rugby. Getting knocked out of a world cup IS a disaster and a failure what did you want us to do, rejoice? There was no post mortem. We all accepted we had been beaten by a better team who had done their homework on us better than we had on them. So your entire post is nonsense!

What you're describing is exactly what happened to England after we got well and truly outplayed, outfought and outclassed by Germany in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I'm quite surprised that some people genuinely believe that Capello left as a result of some misplaced loyalty to Terry. It was clear since the World Cup that he was just going through the motions with England. He didn't want to be there, and the FA didn't want him there. His enormous contract made both parties reluctant to make the first move. In the press conferences in the immediate aftermath of 2010 it was obvious he was waiting for the bullet and a large pay-off. Unfortunately, for him, it never came. He certainly wasn't going to resign and sacrifice millions of pounds, so he stuck it out.

When the FA stepped in to strip Terry of the captaincy, Capello saw/seized the opportunity to get out of the job and still get a payout. He doesn't care about Terry really. His legal team will use the Terry incident to secure Capello a healthy severance package, claiming that it made his position as manager untenable.

As for England, few people considered them legitimate contenders for the competition anyway and Harry Redknapp is not going to change that.I've already put a (small) bet on them not getting out of their group. Even if they do, I think quarters will be their pinnacle.

Its outrageous that John Terry has been allowed to cause so much strife. If the man had any character he would have stepped down with dignity. Its quite common for people who are under investigation to step down from important roles until their case is dealt with. Its not a matter of innocent until proven guilty, its a matter of what's for the greater good. The fact that the current issue with Terry is just the latest in a long line, makes his audacity even more sickening. It seems he has started to believe the "Captain fantastic" crap that the English media has perpetuated over the years. Something which has baffled me.

How is he Captain fantastic? Sure he won some domestic honours with Chelsea, but that was helped, more than a little, by Russian oil money and a centre back partner called Carvalho.... It seemed when the latter left Chelsea, the bulk of Terry's ability followed him.... Regarding International level, England have merely sustained a long tradition of underachieving under his captaincy. Which begs the question... is Terry worth it?? I'd say no....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Capello is a Prima Donna and the fact that Terry was allowed to keep the captaincy after the whole Wayne Bridge fiasco says a lot about his intelligence or lack thereof. He forced the FA into making a decision he himself should have made. Now his pride is hurt and his arrogance is controlling his actions. A national team needs national passion and that's one thing a foreign coach can't provide.

I say good riddance to him.

John Terry is a scumbag. I don't think there's many who would disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Alan Pardew has just ruled himself out. It would be almost laughable but given the fervour they've whipped themselves up into about the manager being English, he's the second best choice on current form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Sacked JT as captain after wayne bridge incident-Sacked Rio ferdinand as captain without telling him and reinstated JT?.

Green was picked on form.

Heskey was picked as a foil for Rooney. Capello thought that getting the best out of Rooney was more important than picking him beside the likes of defoe, owen, crouch bent, agbonlahor etc etc. Heskey had been a good foil for a Michael Owen at his peak. Therein lay Capello's reasoning. And pretty sound reasoning at that given his other options and the obvious limitations in midfield.

Ledley King was deemed worth the risk because he is a great player.

Re the captaincy chopping and changing - as we now know, the English captaincy seems a decision that lies outside the hands of the manager. The gagging order put on capello as part of his severance from England means we will probably never know.

Given Capello's track record coming into the England job and England's track record before that, i would back Capello every day of the week on this. The man has won everything you can nearly win as a coach. He brought Milan to levels of football rarely seen and won La Liga with Real Madrid when everyone there wanted him to fail. One of the best managers of the past 20/30 years in world football and it's quite pointed that the likes of Ferguson should back him. Fergie knows what Capello is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Ian McGarry has said capello is in for the Inter Milan job when Ranieri gets sacked.

I don't believe Capello resigned solely because of the John Terry situation.
    He'll be back at work soon by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

amiable wrote: »
    Ian McGarry has said capello is in for the Inter Milan job when Ranieri gets sacked.

Straight swap, Tinkerman for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

what xenophobia in England?

what racism?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised that some people genuinely believe that Capello left as a result of some misplaced loyalty to Terry. It was clear since the World Cup that he was just going through the motions with England. He didn't want to be there, and the FA didn't want him there. His enormous contract made both parties reluctant to make the first move. In the press conferences in the immediate aftermath of 2010 it was obvious he was waiting for the bullet and a large pay-off. Unfortunately, for him, it never came. He certainly wasn't going to resign and sacrifice millions of pounds, so he stuck it out.

When the FA stepped in to strip Terry of the captaincy, Capello saw/seized the opportunity to get out of the job and still get a payout. He doesn't care about Terry really. His legal team will use the Terry incident to secure Capello a healthy severance package, claiming that it made his position as manager untenable.

As for England, few people considered them legitimate contenders for the competition anyway and Harry Redknapp is not going to change that.I've already put a (small) bet on them not getting out of their group. Even if they do, I think quarters will be their pinnacle.

Its outrageous that John Terry has been allowed to cause so much strife. If the man had any character he would have stepped down with dignity. Its quite common for people who are under investigation to step down from important roles until their case is dealt with. Its not a matter of innocent until proven guilty, its a matter of what's for the greater good. The fact that the current issue with Terry is just the latest in a long line, makes his audacity even more sickening. It seems he has started to believe the "Captain fantastic" crap that the English media has perpetuated over the years. Something which has baffled me.

How is he Captain fantastic? Sure he won some domestic honours with Chelsea, but that was helped, more than a little, by Russian oil money and a centre back partner called Carvalho.... It seemed when the latter left Chelsea, the bulk of Terry's ability followed him.... Regarding International level, England have merely sustained a long tradition of underachieving under his captaincy. Which begs the question... is Terry worth it?? I'd say no....

Excellent post, interesting theory and some very good points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Two comfortable qualifications in the bag though. "Terrible" does not mean what you think it means - particularly in the context of English managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

417040_10150653899256779_767766778_10784480_1615478038_n.jpg

SlickRic wrote: »
    what xenophobia in England?

what racism?

What a prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Dotsey wrote: »
    Walker wouldn't play for England yet I don't think, looking at Mondays game when Glen Johnson dealt with him comfortably for 90mins I can't see how he is going to take the shirt from Johnson.

Johnson souldn't play for England, I don't think, looking at Mondays game when Kyle Walker dealt with him comfortably for 90mins I can't see how he is going to take the shirt from Walker.

NWPat wrote: »
    Johnson souldn't play for England, I don't think, looking at Mondays game when Kyle Walker dealt with him comfortably for 90mins I can't see how he is going to take the shirt from Walker.

Neither should play for England as Micah Richards is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

I would say happy campers all round, English FA ( note deliberate use of English as opposed to THE) did not want Capello to lead them in the euros, he has had 2 bad touraments already, Capello most certainly did not want to be there either, good result all round thanks to JT, they could always depend on JT putting his foot into it again, only a matter of time. Both sides seized the opportunity.

As for the future manager, looking at the PL table, there are very few English Managers. Redknapp, Pardew, Hodgson, Pulis.

Not a great choice for Enlish FA, bar Redknapp.

Secman

NWPat wrote: »

Glen Johnson was playing out of position on Monday night and still looked a better player IMHO.

Agree with others that Micah Richards is probably the best English right back at the moment.

Superb athlete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I believe FC resigned more for the reason that he was undermined by the FA rather than a long standing loyalty to Terry. They went over his head in removing Terry and Capello as a proud, stubborn man saw this as an act against his authority. It's an extraordinary situation; manager quits post over captain racism row and is likely to replaced by another manager who narrowly escapes tax evasion charges. im very curious to see how the f.a handle this situation. how can harry manage spurs and take on england? will he quit now or wait till the end of the season? will he be appointed at all or appointed after the euros? what a mess this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Did you see players such as Rooney and Ferdinand tweeting "Next manager has got to be English" ..... yes, because Capello's utter "foreignness" was the root of all their problems. I had to laugh! Such notions

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    I would say happy campers all round, English FA ( note deliberate use of English as opposed to THE) did not want Capello to lead them in the euros, he has had 2 bad touraments already, Capello most certainly did not want to be there either, good result all round thanks to JT, they could always depend on JT putting his foot into it again, only a matter of time. Both sides seized the opportunity.

As for the future manager, looking at the PL table, there are very few English Managers. Redknapp, Pardew, Hodgson, Pulis.

Not a great choice for Enlish FA, bar Redknapp.

Secman

Pulis is welsh :P

Stuart Pearce :confused:

only for the Holland match!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Neil Warnock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Neil Warnock?

That would be epic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stuart Pearce to manage England for the Friendly against Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Capello is a Prima Donna and the fact that Terry was allowed to keep the captaincy after the whole Wayne Bridge fiasco says a lot about his intelligence or lack thereof. He forced the FA into making a decision he himself should have made. Now his pride is hurt and his arrogance is controlling his actions. A national team needs national passion and that's one thing a foreign coach can't provide.

I say good riddance to him.

Think I disagree with everything you said there. Capello a prima donna?

It's as simple as this. The FA hired Capello to manage the team. He picks the captain, he picks the players. Suits in the FA don't.
    As for a foreign manager not giving a team pride and passion, tell that to the Irish squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

if arry is appointed any players he admires who havent got a look in? i could see a randomer or 2 getting called up

and when heskey was starting everyone was going on about how 'emile was the ideal partner to get the best out of wayne'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If Arry says no or wants too much money, they will go for O'Neill.

When O'Neill says no they will go for Hiddink. And he will say yes. Thats where my money is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That fat guy is right, foreigners have no passion, that's why they never win anything.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    If Arry says no or wants too much money, they will go for O'Neill.

When O'Neill says no they will go for Hiddink. And he will say yes. Thats where my money is going.

I can't see the FA going for O'Neill again but you never know.

I think he's happy where he is now anyway.

All irrelevant IMO anyway as Harry will be the manager soon and only last about 18 months

Advertisement