Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrys Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

BERBA wrote: »
    agree 100% with above hatch , how do ya feel with your 4th now harry eh?

last night was a defining moment for our club. Gutted.

Villa - parker for vdv said it all ....

VdV tends to stop running after about 75 mins.

We were playing with 10 men. When VdV ran out of steam we were pretty much down to 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

mickman wrote: »
    what direct rivals are going to do that ? Arsenal will lose van persie and wont re-invest the money. They wont spend big during the summer, either will liverpool or newcastle. Even if the pool do spend big then it wont be big enough.

Arsenal will be a poorer team without rvp , thats for sure.

Next season is an opportunity for us to get back in champs league and win the europa league[/Q

next season city,utd and chelsea are going to be the top 3 so we can forget about them....our direct rivals are arsenal,liverpool,newcastle and maybe even everton if they start playing before xmas.that leaves 5 teams going for the last CL spot.if arsenal lose rvp of course they are going to re-invest,they have to.liverpool will have a new manager and that means new ideas and new players and they will never be as bad as they were this season.newcastles scouts have uncovered some fine players this season,who's to say they wont uncover a gem or 2 next season?and everton are just 1 or 2 signings away from becoming a real force again.
    what do we have?a manager who lost the plot halfway tru what should have been our greatest season,our best players seemingly want to leave(and i dont blame them),a demoralised squad who expected CL but now face (depending on the draw)long away trips to eastern europe in crap stadiums on thursday nights and a chairman who had his chance in the last 3 transfer windows to bring in some real quality to ensure our place in the CL for seasons to come but brought in stop gap solutions(saha,nelson etc).
    im sorry but the future of spurs looks very bleak for me right now.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Exactly. The same guy who told us we would challenge for the title, then decided it was the target to finish 3rd, then says it's great to finish 4th, and then say's we should be happy finishing above Liverpool and Chelsea, what land is he living in.

It's not just the parker for vdv change, although it's a good example, there are several examples. His handling of situations such as Bent, Keane, Lennon, VDV, Dos Santos etc etc has been awful. And his constant media talk, about himself during the England phase, the Modric issues and so on. He is not for us.

When we won 11 games out of 12 or whatever before Christmas, he said that if we kept up this form we would be right up there for the title. He was stating a mathematical fact when you think about it.

He is a manager of a football club, of course he has a tendency to try to highlight the positives when things go bad. Very few managers don't. He was probably trying to convince himself as much as anyone.

I think he's handled Bent, Keane, VdV and Dos Santos pretty well. I wish he would never leave Lennon out, but maybe he has concerns over his hamstrings.

He is a media whore, a chatterbox, a very open guy who loves to talk. It's annoying sometimes and amusing sometimes. I wish Levy would talk to him about it.

mickman wrote: »

next season city,utd and chelsea are going to be the top 3 so we can forget about them....our direct rivals are arsenal,liverpool,newcastle and maybe even everton if they start playing before xmas.that leaves 5 teams going for the last CL spot.if arsenal lose rvp of course they are going to re-invest,they have to.liverpool will have a new manager and that means new ideas and new players and they will never be as bad as they were this season.newcastles scouts have uncovered some fine players this season,who's to say they wont uncover a gem or 2 next season?and everton are just 1 or 2 signings away from becoming a real force again.
    what do we have?a manager who lost the plot halfway tru what should have been our greatest season,our best players seemingly want to leave(and i dont blame them),a demoralised squad who expected CL but now face (depending on the draw)long away trips to eastern europe in crap stadiums on thursday nights and a chairman who had his chance in the last 3 transfer windows to bring in some real quality to ensure our place in the CL for seasons to come but brought in stop gap solutions(saha,nelson etc).
    im sorry but the future of spurs looks very bleak for me right now.

I'm not so sure Chelsea will be top 3 next season. I'm not sure Di Matteo is strong enough to lead them in the Premiership.

Arsenal will find it very hard if they lose RvP. Much harder than we would find it to lose Luka.

Pool will be better, but they were awful this season.

Everton and Newcastle, who knows. They are a threat but I would give us a fighting chance of finishing ahead of both.

Redknapp did not lose the plot, that was a convenient paper story. The team went through a lull in form and it cost us big time. To claim that their heads were turned because of speculation in the papers. Come on. Think about it.

I can never understand people suggesting that Levy somehow bottled it by not spending more. He has shown himself to be a superb business man. Why would fans who know next to nothing about the clubs finances think that they know better than him as to how to spend the clubs money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Why would Levy have needed to spend more in January when we were 2 points off the top of the table and 10 clear of 4th?

After the Newcastle game we all thought Saha was a bargain. There's no excuses for not finishing 3rd, lets hope we learn from it and quick. It took 4 years to get over bottling it against West ham, we don't have 4 years to spare anymore so they need to get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    I know this is gonna start a long argument but I have to disagree. We are Spurs. We don't have a divine right to a great manager. Harry is far from perfect but he is the best manager we have had in about 20 years. The chairman knows that, the players know that, and I think the majority of the fans know that.

Bayern beating Chelsea cannot possibly make him less fit to manage our club, that is irrational.

Regarding your first statement, I agree, sure nobody is entitled to a great manager.

But as for the rest....I could be here all day mate. I suppose at the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinions, and I have no problem with that, that's what this place is all about.

But in my opinion, I want rid. I don't like the man. As I have said several times, I have no problem praising him to a certain extent for what he has done. But he failed us this season when it mattered. At such a crucial time and at a crucial stage in our history, we failed, and the buck stops with him.
    Not only do his football decisions baffle me, but the way he has treated some of the players, fans and the club in general at times has disgusted me. I don't want a man like that in charge of the club I love and always will love.

I'm not so sure Chelsea will be top 3 next season. I'm not sure Di Matteo is strong enough to lead them in the Premiership.

Arsenal will find it very hard if they lose RvP. Much harder than we would find it to lose Luka.

Pool will be better, but they were awful this season.

Everton and Newcastle, who knows. They are a threat but I would give us a fighting chance of finishing ahead of both.

Redknapp did not lose the plot, that was a convenient paper story. The team went through a lull in form and it cost us big time. To claim that their heads were turned because of speculation in the papers. Come on. Think about it.

I can never understand people suggesting that Levy somehow bottled it by not spending more. He has shown himself to be a superb business man. Why would fans who know next to nothing about the clubs finances think that they know better than him as to how to spend the clubs money?

i have thought about it and i dont think its a coincidence that we got back to winning ways when hodgson was appointed,the insecurity surrounding the whole england job/court case really hurt us,tactics seemed to go out the window,4-4-2 one week 4-4-1-1 the other and bale given license to roam was a big mistake too,harry lost the plot,2-0 at arsenal-2-2 at half time and he said he knew we were going to lose!!!wtf kinda manager says that??????the seeds of doubt were planted after that game and they grew and grew untill we finally got our act together and fell over the line into 4th,it wont be so easy next season.
    the 1st thing gary cahill will see when he wakes up this morning is his CL winners medal,we had a chance to sign him in jan,christ we had a chance to sign almost any player we wanted in jan.that was the time to invest...send a message of intent.we had money to spend,the sales of crouch,palacios,pav and hutton brought in around 30 million of which only 5 million was spent on parker who litterally fell into our laps because wenger baulked in signing him because of his age,do you really think that adebayor and gallas we looking over their shoulders for a 1st team place when saha and nelson were signed?we really missed the boat this season in more ways than 1

Regarding your first statement, I agree, sure nobody is entitled to a great manager.

But as for the rest....I could be here all day mate. I suppose at the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinions, and I have no problem with that, that's what this place is all about.

But in my opinion, I want rid. I don't like the man. As I have said several times, I have no problem praising him to a certain extent for what he has done. But he failed us this season when it mattered. At such a crucial time and at a crucial stage in our history, we failed, and the buck stops with him.
    Not only do his football decisions baffle me, but the way he has treated some of the players, fans and the club in general at times has disgusted me. I don't want a man like that in charge of the club I love and always will love.

Ok, fair enough, your opinion is your opinion. I think its the most natural thing in the world to want rid of the manager. I wanted rid of Ardiles, Gross, Santini, Ramos etc.

But sooner or later we need to get a long term manager. Redknapp is mainly liked by players, fans and chairman and has done very well with the club (in my opinion). I find him annoying at times, but I think he is a decent guy and a decent manager.

I think there is a better than 50/50 chance that fans will be calling for the head of the new manager by May 2013, and the vicious circle will continue for the next 50 years.

i have thought about it and i dont think its a coincidence that we got back to winning ways when hodgson was appointed,the insecurity surrounding the whole england job/court case really hurt us,tactics seemed to go out the window,4-4-2 one week 4-4-1-1 the other and bale given license to roam was a big mistake too,harry lost the plot,2-0 at arsenal-2-2 at half time and he said he knew we were going to lose!!!wtf kinda manager says that??????the seeds of doubt were planted after that game and they grew and grew untill we finally got our act together and fell over the line into 4th,it wont be so easy next season.
    the 1st thing gary cahill will see when he wakes up this morning is his CL winners medal,we had a chance to sign him in jan,christ we had a chance to sign almost any player we wanted in jan.that was the time to invest...send a message of intent.we had money to spend,the sales of crouch,palacios,pav and hutton brought in around 30 million of which only 5 million was spent on parker who litterally fell into our laps because wenger baulked in signing him because of his age,do you really think that adebayor and gallas we looking over their shoulders for a 1st team place when saha and nelson were signed?we really missed the boat this season in more ways than 1

Insecurity my ar$e, these are grown men, they are Premiership footballers, managerial changes are a fact of life. We beat Newcastle 5-0 in our first game after Capello resigned. The players lost the plot at 2-0 at Arsenal. They eased off and Arsenal ran rings around them.

January is not the time to invest. Gary Cahill is a decent player but Chelsea made him a better offer. I think Kaboul is just as good as him.

If anyone can show me a quote on Boards from the day after the Newcastle game where they say anything about us messing up in the transfer window, player unrest about 'Arry etc, then I will hold up my hands. Otherwise you have to accept that you are only making the facts fit with the hindsight. Levy and Redknapp may be paid a lotta money but they have the same inability to tell the future as you and I.

Insecurity my ar$e, these are grown men, they are Premiership footballers, managerial changes are a fact of life. We beat Newcastle 5-0 in our first game after Capello resigned. The players lost the plot at 2-0 at Arsenal. They eased off and Arsenal ran rings around them.

January is not the time to invest. Gary Cahill is a decent player but Chelsea made him a better offer. I think Kaboul is just as good as him.

If anyone can show me a quote on Boards from the day after the Newcastle game where they say anything about us messing up in the transfer window, player unrest about 'Arry etc, then I will hold up my hands. Otherwise you have to accept that you are only making the facts fit with the hindsight. Levy and Redknapp may be paid a lotta money but they have the same inability to tell the future as you and I.

redknapp is supposed to have a good relationship with most of the players,is it beyond the realm of belief that the better players in the squad were seeing what was happening and saying to themselves "well if he's off then i'm off too"?stability is key to success and we were in a very unstable position from feb to april.
    of course hindsight has 20/20 vision but i'd rather have a manager and chairman with the foresight to see when and where to invest properly.having a 20+million transfer kitty is all well and good when you look at the end of season accounts but its also like joining an expensive gym...its only going to do some good if you actually use the bloody thing:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

redknapp is supposed to have a good relationship with most of the players,is it beyond the realm of belief that the better players in the squad were seeing what was happening and saying to themselves "well if he's off then i'm off too"?stability is key to success and we were in a very unstable position from feb to april.
    of course hindsight has 20/20 vision but i'd rather have a manager and chairman with the foresight to see when and where to invest properly.having a 20+million transfer kitty is all well and good when you look at the end of season accounts but its also like joining an expensive gym...its only going to do some good if you actually use the bloody thing:rolleyes:

I think its very likely that those thoughts crossed their minds, but I don't think it affected their ability to concentrate for 90 mins.

I guess our stability was affected but I think we lost those games cos we were jaded. And also because we were not good enough to sustain a title challenge.

It would be great to have a manager and chairman who had the foresight to know when to invest and who to invest in. That would be actually amazing. Personally I think investment in January is usually a sign of panic. I think Gary Cahill was way overpriced, albeit a decent player.

Redknapp is mainly liked by players, fans and chairman and has done very well with the club (in my opinion).

I'd think you'd be surprised to see how many fans don't like him mate.

He was treated like a god by the White Hart Lane faithful when I was there recently. Too much in my opinion. It was OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

He was treated like a god by the White Hart Lane faithful when I was there recently. Too much in my opinion. It was OTT.

And how recent was that. Things have changed a lot since our slump. Early in the season it was all good when we were right up there in the title race and we were singing songs hoping he would turn down England and pays tax when he wants to etc. towards the end of the season I didn't see any of that love!

Your right, he was, wigan and Newc games in particular, but I think people (myself included sometimes) get caught up in the moment when your at games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

He could end up as Chelsea manager yet. I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Harry Redknapp, not fit to manage our great football club, close the door on your way out.

....Now your sounding like your Old Man :D:D

I'll give you a shout thurs/fri for that program ?

philon wrote: »
    ....Now your sounding like your Old Man :D:D

I'll give you a shout thurs/fri for that program ?

:D yeah sound have it here for you, I'll drop it down anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

heard from a reliable liverpool source that harrys name is in the frame for the liverpool job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Couldnt see it myself either. Or HR to liverpool for that matter.

If it was Utd or Citeh then that might be a different story but cant see HR leaving for any other PL team ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Hmmmmm!!!

So a buddy of mine tells me that Arry will be going before the weekend. Anyone else hear this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Rumours a plenty, new contract not on offer... AVB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I'm getting excited ! i'd love if levy game 'arry the heave ho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Why would we get someone who failed miserably at Chelsea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

He was the first name you had in mind?

Big Eck?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hope this is all rumour bollox. Better the Devil you know and all that. Unless Levy has Pep lined up! :D

... I wonder if Levy has blamed HR for us not finishing 3rd. At the end of the day it was caused by 2 things - England job talk effecting the players and tired players. Who else is accoutantable for that if not Harry! Oh dear.

Harry very quiet the last couple of weeks, very strange...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

but, Harry's gonna be england manager you know ;)

Advertisement