Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrys Future

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Rafa Benitez would be an outstanding appointment for Spurs.

Qualified for the top 4 every season he was in England bar the last one which is exactly what ye need.

Twice La Liga winning manager, Champions League, Fa Cup, etc.

When given money to spend spent well,

Torres, Mascherano, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Xabi Alonso, Reina.

Tactically brilliant, which is an area where Spurs have had issues thanks to Harry's rather cavalier attitude towards football.

All in all he'd be a great appointment for Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ares wrote: »

Qualified for the top 4 every season he was in England bar the last one which is exactly what ye need.

Tactically brilliant, which is an area where Spurs have had issues thanks to Harry's rather cavalier attitude towards football.

I love the way you mention the good ones only, he bought plenty of duds as liverpool fans will tell you during his time there.

He did, but when he spent large it was well spent with the exception of Aquilani. I'm not counting Keane it wasn't his purchase.

His duds mainy consist of players bought between the £4 to £10 million bracket.

Morientes, Crouch, Sissoko, Babel, Pennant, Dossena, Riera.

Crouch and Sissoko sold for considerable profit while the other sold while still resaleable.

He'd be a great appointment for Spurs. Who else of his pedigree would be attainable for Spurs this summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Johnson and Lucas are poison to football and I wouldn't want them near my team. Don't think I've seen Lucas do one bit of nice football EVER. Sideways passes or behind him is all he is capable for.

Johnson isn't fit to tie walkers boots so if Rafa wants to sign players like them I don't want him anywhere near our club!

To be honest the only 3 I'd take out of your choices are Torres alonso and Reina

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Benitez missed out on top 4 twice, although the first time it was somewhat made up for by winning the CL.

• Advertisement

Emoran wrote: »
    Johnson and Lucas are poison to football and I wouldn't want them near my team. Don't think I've seen Lucas do one bit of nice football EVER. Sideways passes or behind him is all he is capable for.

Johnson isn't fit to tie walkers boots so if Rafa wants to sign players like them I don't want him anywhere near our club!

To be honest the only 3 I'd take out of your choices are Torres alonso and Reina

You clearly don't watch very much football so do you? Lucas would walk onto the Spurs team.

Are you saying you wouldn't take Mascherano. Really? Or Agger? Skrtel even?

If Rafa went to Spurs, with Levy's fiscal management and Rafa's ability as a manager I'd expect Spurs to challenge for the league regularly, something that's only a pipe dream as long as Harry stays in charge.

There are few current managers of Rafa's calibre currently on the market.
    THFC wrote: »
    Benitez missed out on top 4 twice, although the first time it was somewhat made up for by winning the CL.

Granted. I meant to say qualified for the Champions League every year.

The league form that year would haven't been full on due to the Carling cup and Champions League runs that season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

You clearly don't watch very much football so do you? Lucas would walk onto the Spurs team.

Are you saying you wouldn't take Mascherano. Really? Or Agger? Skrtel even?

If Rafa went to Spurs, with Levy's fiscal management and Rafa's ability as a manager I'd expect Spurs to challenge for the league regularly, something that's only a pipe dream as long as Harry stays in charge.

There are few current managers of Rafa's calibre currently on the market.

Granted. I meant to say qualified for the Champions League every year.

The league form that year would haven't been full on due to the Carling cup and Champions League runs that season.

Lucas is a tidy effective player, has improved a lot in the last 3 seasons, but I wouldn't have him in the Spurs midfield at the moment. Good sub though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Ormus wrote: »
    Lucas is a tidy effective player, has improved a lot in the last 3 seasons, but I wouldn't have him in the Spurs midfield at the moment. Good sub though.

Me either, we have Sandro and Parker who are both much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ormus wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lucas is the best DM in the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

G.K. wrote: »

Really? Scott Parker was writers player of the year 12 months ago, has Lucas even been nominated?

I'm not saying he's rubbish but he'd be 3rd choice DM at our club.

Matter of opinion no?

I would say Lucas may be the most defensive defensive midfielder in the Premiership, but Parker and Sandro are better players.

Of course it's a matter of opinion, yes.

My opinion is that Lucas is the best DM in the EPL at a canter.

Of course it's a matter of opinion, yes.

My opinion is that Lucas is the best DM in the EPL at a canter.
    That's incredible, Lucas?? He's gone from one of the most under-rated players in the league to now being one of the most over-rated players on Boards. He's very good, but the best in the PL?? You're having a laugh.

THFC wrote: »
    That's incredible, Lucas?? He's gone from one of the most under-rated players in the league to now being one of the most over-rated players on Boards. He's very good, but the best in the PL?? You're having a laugh.

I don't think Lucas is much of a player, but as an all out defensive midfielder, there aren't that many of them in the top half of the Premiership. De Jong didn't get many games this season, Mikel is sluggish, United and Spurs use all round midfielders, as do Arsenal now that Song has developed.

A good midfielder should be able to pass and make runs forward when needed. Lucas doesn't have that in his game, but he is useful as a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Arry to Chelsea major bets going on in UK..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

buttt harry, england? no?

Suppose they've made their money off that racket, time to move on to a more lucrative venture....maybe he'll be off to barca in a couple of weeks :P

The fat Spanish waiter at White Hart Lane? Not in a million years!

I rated Lucas as the best DM before he got injured. I think his positional play and reading of the game is second to none in the EPL. Not to mention he made more tackles than anyone else in Europe in 2010/2011. Also, despite being injured from November onward, he was one of making the most tackles in the Liverpool team in the whole of 2011/12 (Although this is probably an indictment of Liverpool's other players instead of a positive sign toward Lucas, one could still argue that it points a lot in Lucas' favour)

Ormus, I don't know what you base 'A good midfielder should be able to pass and make runs forward when needed. Lucas doesn't have that in his game.' on. Frankly Lucas can pass he's probably Liverpool's most reliable passer in the CM position atm (Discounting Aquilani), and as for breaking forward, that's not needed if you are playing as a holder. Again, he can do it, but if you play with Gerrard in a midfield 2 then you are going to be needed back constantly throughout the game.

Seriously lads, what's going on with Harry and Levy ?
    Has there been a fall-out ?
    Will he be offered a new deal ? or is Levy disgusted that he apparently rejected the deal in Feb as he has assumed he would be offered the Eng job ?

• Advertisement

Whatever happens Harry, I hope the Vertonghen deal is wrapped up before he leaves, if he isn't offered a new contract. Vertonghen has already said he is admirer of Harry so if he goes before the deal is done we could lose him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i reckon Levy would get rid of him in the morning if he could based on not signing that contract last Feb and all the ****e that went with England.

Harry knows though that he has some of the "better" players on side , and Levy knows this too. Thus poker game ensues between both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

BERBA wrote: »
    i reckon Levy would get rid of him in the morning if he could based on not signing that contract last Feb and all the ****e that went with England.

Harry knows though that he has some of the "better" players on side , and Levy knows this too. Thus poker game ensues between both parties.
    You could be right,most of the players have come out at different times and said how much they get on with Harry.If he goes there could be chaos at the club.

I rated Lucas as the best DM before he got injured. I think his positional play and reading of the game is second to none in the EPL. Not to mention he made more tackles than anyone else in Europe in 2010/2011. Also, despite being injured from November onward, he was one of making the most tackles in the Liverpool team in the whole of 2011/12 (Although this is probably an indictment of Liverpool's other players instead of a positive sign toward Lucas, one could still argue that it points a lot in Lucas' favour)

Ormus, I don't know what you base 'A good midfielder should be able to pass and make runs forward when needed. Lucas doesn't have that in his game.' on. Frankly Lucas can pass he's probably Liverpool's most reliable passer in the CM position atm (Discounting Aquilani), and as for breaking forward, that's not needed if you are playing as a holder. Again, he can do it, but if you play with Gerrard in a midfield 2 then you are going to be needed back constantly throughout the game.

I do rate Lucas, he is a good defensive midfielder, but we already have 2 midfielders who are good defensively and better all rounders so we don't need one who is only good defensively. I shouldn't say that Lucas can't pass because he is a tidy passer but a very conservative one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Do we know Harry was defo offered a new contract is Feb? What I mean is, is there proof. I know there was plenty of paper and internet talk about it at the time but I dont remember any direct quotes from HR/Levy/Agents etc.

If he was and he turned it down then I'd be seriously worried about Harry been in charge for the start of the season.

i see harry spouting off to sky sports again this evening while he on the golf course. He said 'you don't let good players run down to the last year of their contract if they're any good and similiarly you don't let managers run in to the last year of their contract if they're any good.

Fcuk off to England 'arry:D

Lads I was fed up with the way the England thing worked out but 'Arry is our most successful manager in years. I don't think we can expect to have done any better.

I don't think we can expect to have done any better.

We could and should have got 3rd.

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    We could and should have got 3rd.

Exactly. You'd have taken 4th last August, but you wouldn't have taken it in January.. he failed.

After his little piece today, he doesn't half put the ball in Levys court and put him under serious pressure, something I wouldn't think Levy would be happy with.

Advertisement