Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrys Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Where do i buy the t-shirt in that article?

I want it!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Big fan of Redknapp, think he has done an excellent job with this side. Look at the previous managers we've had and Jol is the only one to stand out and got us to 5th twice.
    Form since Jan was poor, between court case and England job the team didn't play well... the Arsenal game, 2 up was the turning point...
    Can't blame him looking for the England job and I'm sure Levy and Harry had a gentleman's agreement.

Sammo13 wrote: »
    Big fan of Redknapp, think he has done an excellent job with this side. Look at the previous managers we've had and Jol is the only one to stand out and got us to 5th twice.
    Form since Jan was poor, between court case and England job the team didn't play well... the Arsenal game, 2 up was the turning point...
    Can't blame him looking for the England job and I'm sure Levy and Harry had a gentleman's agreement.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think 'Arry has his good and bad points but he is definitely the best we've had in a long long time.

Football fans are so impatient for success that they wanna get rid of the manager all the time. How do people forget so easily that when Spurs get in a new manager its almost always a disaster?

In my footballing consciousness, since 1990 there has only been Redknapp and to a lesser extent Jol, who have come in and been successful.

Gerry Francis did well at first, George Graham steadied the ship, Glenn Hoddle had an indifferent reign.

The rest are Shreeves, Livermore/Clemence, Ardiles, Gross, Santini and Ramos. All pretty much dismal managers who badly damaged the club.

Take a long look at that list and then try to reconcile the fact that people want Redknapp out. I know that the papers can talk about x or y flavour of the month and its easy to start to think that the new guy would be the final piece of the jigsaw to lead us to glory. But there is a much better chance that he will be a new Ardiles/Gross/Santini/Ramos.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    I think 'Arry has his good and bad points but he is definitely the best we've had in a long long time.

Football fans are so impatient for success that they wanna get rid of the manager all the time. How do people forget so easily that when Spurs get in a new manager its almost always a disaster?

In my footballing consciousness, since 1990 there has only been Redknapp and to a lesser extent Jol, who have come in and been successful.

Gerry Francis did well at first, George Graham steadied the ship, Glenn Hoddle had an indifferent reign.

The rest are Shreeves, Livermore/Clemence, Ardiles, Gross, Santini and Ramos. All pretty much dismal managers who badly damaged the club.

Take a long look at that list and then try to reconcile the fact that people want Redknapp out. I know that the papers can talk about x or y flavour of the month and its easy to start to think that the new guy would be the final piece of the jigsaw to lead us to glory. But there is a much better chance that he will be a new Ardiles/Gross/Santini/Ramos.

Not once have I said, or would I say that he has done a poor job, I'd be mad too. He has done well, but are you happy with that ? Are you happy with finishing behind Arsenal yet again, when we had such a lead, and when they had just lost there best player to Barca, and there next best player to injury for the season ? I'm not. That's not good enough for me, maybe I'm looking for too much. Remember we have the best side we have had in a long long time.

Not only the above, (and I know I'm probably boring you all with this) but the way he has behaved at time has been atrocious. He was only short of laughing at us when he was more than happy to answer questions in press conferences about the England job not too long ago. Now things have changed and he's doing interviews saying if Daniel thinks I'm any use, he'll offer me a new contract, who the fcuk does he think he is.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Not once have I said, or would I say that he has done a poor job, I'd be mad too. He has done well, but are you happy with that ? Are you happy with finishing behind Arsenal yet again, when we had such a lead, and when they had just lost there best player to Barca, and there next best player to injury for the season ? I'm not. That's not good enough for me, maybe I'm looking for too much. Remember we have the best side we have had in a long long time.

Not only the above, (and I know I'm probably boring you all with this) but the way he has behaved at time has been atrocious. He was only short of laughing at us when he was more than happy to answer questions in press conferences about the England job not too long ago. Now things have changed and he's doing interviews saying if Daniel thinks I'm any use, he'll offer me a new contract, who the fcuk does he think he is.

To be honest yes I am happy with a good manager who has done well. I think its possible that we could get a better manager but its much more likely that whoever we brought in would do a worse job.

I'm not sure how you figure that RvP isn't or wasn't even Arsenal's second best player, but yes I am gutted we finished behind them and threw away a big chance to finish 3rd. We failed big time after Christmas but at the same time 4th place was a good enough finish for me, and then again not getting Champions League means the season was not a success. Not a failure for Spurs either though. The 4 best teams in the Premiership got into the Champions League. We have no divine right to be there.

I think he would have loved a crack at the England job but he is happy at Spurs. I don't think he handled it all that badly. He talks to the press too much and its annoying at times but he doesn't come across as a bad guy.

I think he has a valid point about his contract situation. He isn't playing hard ball or saying he wants to leave or anything. All he said is if you want me sign me up and lets get on with it. There aren't many players these days who don't come out with something similar or worse when their contract is winding down.

To be honest yes I am happy with a good manager who has done well. I think its possible that we could get a better manager but its much more likely that whoever we brought in would do a worse job.

I'm not sure how you figure that RvP isn't or wasn't even Arsenal's second best player, but yes I am gutted we finished behind them and threw away a big chance to finish 3rd. We failed big time after Christmas but at the same time 4th place was a good enough finish for me, and then again not getting Champions League means the season was not a success. Not a failure for Spurs either though. The 4 best teams in the Premiership got into the Champions League. We have no divine right to be there.

I think he would have loved a crack at the England job but he is happy at Spurs. I don't think he handled it all that badly. He talks to the press too much and its annoying at times but he doesn't come across as a bad guy.

I think he has a valid point about his contract situation. He isn't playing hard ball or saying he wants to leave or anything. All he said is if you want me sign me up and lets get on with it. There aren't many players these days who don't come out with something similar or worse when their contract is winding down.

Do you mean you reckon Chelsea were better than us last season ?

Do you mean you reckon Chelsea were better than us last season ?

Well obviously they weren't better than us in the league but overall yes they were clearly better than us and deserve their place in next season's Champions League, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well obviously they weren't better than us in the league but overall yes they were clearly better than us and deserve their place in next season's Champions League, sadly.

I don't agree with this. Obviously they weren't the better team as over the course of the season they finished 2 places below us. They just happened to be in the Champions League, with a chance of qualifying by winning the thing, which nobody expected but through determination and the most amazing amount of luck I've ever seen in a cup run they managed it.

Both Spurs and Chelsea deserve to be in the CL. Unfortunately because of the structure of it, Spurs have to lose out. This doesn't mean that Chelsea were a better team, they just had a bit more luck than Spurs.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. Obviously they weren't the better team as over the course of the season they finished 2 places below us. They just happened to be in the Champions League, with a chance of qualifying by winning the thing, which nobody expected but through determination and the most amazing amount of luck I've ever seen in a cup run they managed it.

Both Spurs and Chelsea deserve to be in the CL. Unfortunately because of the structure of it, Spurs have to lose out. This doesn't mean that Chelsea were a better team, they just had a bit more luck than Spurs.

Chelsea were far better than us last season. They won the bloody Champions League ffs. The Champions League. We won nothing. We didn't even come close to winning anything.

I know that league position is usually the barometer for a successful season, but when a team wins the Champions League that changes things. A lot.

Chelsea were far better than us last season. They won the bloody Champions League ffs. The Champions League. We won nothing. We didn't even come close to winning anything.

I know that league position is usually the barometer for a successful season, but when a team wins the Champions League that changes things. A lot.

Ok, is it your view that winning silverware dictates a successful season? Did Liverpool have a better season than us? Yes Chelsea won the CL & the FA Cup, both cup competitions, where form goes out the window and anything can happen in that single game (or two games). If Chelsea had finished 17th but still won the CL, would they still be a better team than us?

Chelsea were not the best team in the CL. I think everyone can agree on this. What they had were tactics designed to nullify and absorb their opponents attacks, and counter. What they needed for this to succeed was discipline and luck, and as it turned out (because of who they were playing) more luck than I think anyone could have ever expected, or may have ever witnessed in a cup run.

Spurs were the 4th best team in the league, Chelsea 6th. The league included 38 games and is a much more realistic and accurate view of a teams form over the course of a season because, as already mentioned, anything can happen in a cup game, otherwise there would never be cup upsets. Form and results dictate how good a team was and in the league, Spurs were better than Chelsea.

Ok, is it your view that winning silverware dictates a successful season? Did Liverpool have a better season than us? Yes Chelsea won the CL & the FA Cup, both cup competitions, where form goes out the window and anything can happen in that single game (or two games). If Chelsea had finished 17th but still won the CL, would they still be a better team than us?

Chelsea were not the best team in the CL. I think everyone can agree on this. What they had were tactics designed to nullify and absorb their opponents attacks, and counter. What they needed for this to succeed was discipline and luck, and as it turned out (because of who they were playing) more luck than I think anyone could have ever expected, or may have ever witnessed in a cup run.

Spurs were the 4th best team in the league, Chelsea 6th. The league included 38 games and is a much more realistic and accurate view of a teams form over the course of a season because, as already mentioned, anything can happen in a cup game, otherwise there would never be cup upsets. Form and results dictate how good a team was and in the league, Spurs were better than Chelsea.

No, silverware alone does not determine a season but it is a major factor. The Carling Cup is not worth much. The Champions League is massive.

You shouldn't believe that stuff about form going out the window and anything can happen etc in cup competitions. Thats the kinda talk Sky use to hype things up. Chelsea won the CL and that means they were the best team in it. Its not a personality contest, its not an attractive football competition and its not about who can look good with the least luck. Its about winning. Winning determines success in professional football.

Every single team had good and bad luck this season. It doesn't matter. You will never be able to accurately measure who has had the most luck. There is no league table for luck. Yes of course Chelsea had luck but it was incredible what they achieved in Barcelona.

If Chelsea had finished 17th but still won the CL, would they still be a better team than us? I'm not joking but thats actually a very good question. I would say probably not but I'm not sure. I would say that they would have had a more successful season.

Yes Spurs were better than Chelsea in the league and the table shows it.

But for season 2011/12 it reads:

Chelsea: Won the Champions League and qualified for next year's.
    Spurs: Almost qualified for next year's Champions League

I agree with you that Chelsea definitely had a more successful season, there's no question about that. I still stand by Chelsea not being the best team in it, though obviously in 20 - 30 years time kids who didn't actually see their run won't know and will just assume they were!

I agree with you that Chelsea definitely had a more successful season, there's no question about that. I still stand by Chelsea not being the best team in it, though obviously in 20 - 30 years time kids who didn't actually see their run won't know and will just assume they were!

Well I do see your point, Chelsea played negative, defensive football. they played like underdogs, didn't strut their way to the trophy like typical champions. But I think that unfortunately there is a way to succeed playing that kinda football. It could be called a flaw in the game that those kinda tactics can triumph over open attacking football, but its not really Chelsea's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Some good points made by all 3 of you.

There's no getting away from it, Harry has been head and shoulders our best manager in 20 years. Only Jol comes kind of close. But by the same token, HR has the best set of players available to him in the same period.

When you read of the list of managers who failed miseribly and damaged the club you'd have to be very nervous about Levy giving Harry the boot unless he has someone extraordinary lined up to replace him...

Personally, I'd stick with Harry for another 12 months and give him some sort of contract extention. Surely he must realise that he directly/indirectly is responsible for the anti-climatic 2nd half of the season and will want to prove 'what might have been' by giving it his all next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Some speculation going round twitter that Harry is leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

flyswatter wrote: »
    Some speculation going round twitter that Harry is leaving.
    Denied by Harry ....

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/155210.html

• Advertisement

If or more like when Arry goes who'll come in? I'll only be happy if it's a top manager ala Hiddinck, Capello or the like and not someone unproven in the top 4 like Moyes or God forbid Martinez. Ok these 2 are good managers but why should we replace a manager who's got us into the top 4 in 2 of the last 3 seasons with someone who might do a job?

yiddo59 wrote: »
    If or more like when Arry goes who'll come in? I'll only be happy if it's a top manager ala Hiddinck, Capello or the like and not someone unproven in the top 4 like Moyes or God forbid Martinez. Ok these 2 are good managers but why should we replace a manager who's got us into the top 4 in 2 of the last 3 seasons with someone who might do a job?

But are you guaranteed the likes of capello would do a job ?
    Levy would like Rafa maybe, proven and no compensation to get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

No smoke without fire, i reckon Levy wants rid and so do i :D

But are you guaranteed the likes of capello would do a job ?
    Levy would like Rafa maybe, proven and no compensation to get him.

Course your'e not guaranteed but more likely than with someone the unproven at top level. Don't want Rafa but I'd take him over the likes of Moyes, Martinez etc.

Harrys gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Harrys gone

plenty of rumours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Harrys gone

Link, I'm not finding anything conclusive other than Daily Fail and Sun links

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Harrys gone

Link, I'm not finding anything conclusive other than Daily Fail and Sun links

no links. 2 mates (who dont know eachother text me within seconds of eachother), looks like twitter nonsense.

Apparently Des Cahill wad tweeting it a few mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

looks like he`s gone alright. sky sports have it now

Advertisement