Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 part-time masters at same time

Options
  • 08-02-2012 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm working fulltime in hse at the minute and looking at definitely doing one masters next year parttime. Its the masters in management at Smurfit. However there's another masters course that really interests me aswell at rcsi. It too is also parttime. Dates and everything are fine. Both are both over two years. I've no kids and no other responsibilities. Is it possible to perform well in both with obviously alot of hard work ? Anyone have any experience of doing two ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Will you be working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

yeah 5 days a week 5-9 plus certain amount of work outside these hours maybe twice a month

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

I think you'd be taking on too much. Even if the timetables don't clash, exams might, you'll need to study and you'll need time off- serious chance of burning out.

I'd do one at a time, and do them justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depending on how focused you are, you might manage it but as has been said exams etc could clash, provided of course they had exams and not just project work. Even so, project work is full time for most students so normal working on top of that may be a problem.

Any particular reason you want two masters? Are they in the same topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Two masters? Jesus, all I can think is of all the €€€€€€€€€€ involved! Really wouldn't recommend it- you won't be able to do yourself justice in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

The workload would probably be doable if you put your mind to it, the main problem would be that if they're part time masters they'll both be aimed at people currently working. So lectures/seminars etc will all most likely be in the evening time (6-9pm say). Which would probably create massive scheduling conflicts if you were doing both.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

I would not advise doing two masters and a job at the same time. The workload is balanced around doing one and a job - you'll end up getting two thesis projects to do at the same time and having major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

But doing two part-time masters, one after the other, could take between 4-6 years :eek:

It's a bit of a hard one to quantify OP. UCD frowns upon taking two courses at the same time (actively tries to bar it within UCD but merely tut-tuts if the second programme is outside the bounds of Belfield/Smurfit).

Perhaps take one for one year, and if that is going well, enroll to the second one? It also means that the climax of both (in terms of thesis/ project) won't collide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Are two masters really necessary...? Surely if you pick one relevant masters it would be enough for whatever field you're interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Thanks guys. Yeah it's crazy even contemplating doing 2 masters concurrently. I've definitely realised that. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on these two masters. I'm going to either do the masters in management in Smurfit or the masters in healthcare management in RCSi. anyone have any opinions on both courses. I work as a radiographer so i realise the one in RCSI is going to be a lot more focused in the healthcare field. Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I am a Smurfit grad, but my information on the MIM course is all second hand. The perception of it was always quite poor from the other masters, they were often perceived as being a "party class" where everyone passes.

I cannot say if this is true, its just the impression gained from myself and others.

Also, I personally know some people who got into the course with no experience (that I was aware of, summer experience perhaps?) who barely scraped their primary degree.

Even a search of the course on this forum yields some negative results....

I personally would not advise it. The Smurfit name is strong and may get you an interview, but I do not get a positive impression of the course. That said, talk to the lecturers about what your goals are and what you will learn etc,

See which one better meets your aspirations!

Advertisement