Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (or used) Desktop advice...?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I picked up a used Power Mac last year, and it's ok. It's annoying that I can't use it for a few things it now turns out I could do with on the machine.
    I need the latest browsers for work purposes, but can't use them on the Mac (PowerPC). I also can't watch Netflix on it, it won't install the latest Flash player. I recently cancelled Sky so would be watching a lot more tv online.

So I am on the look out for a desktop machine.

I am open to a Windows or Mac machine......Would be interested to see what Windows machine people would recommend...

I have a monitor already. Here are the specs for the Mac, I wouldn't mind getting similar RAM if I could. I would buy new or used, but really not sure what to go for:

Mac Specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G5 Quad
    Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2
    Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number Of CPUs: 4
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1

I am thinking that 2GB Ram could be enough, but wouldn't mind more if I could....
    blk.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I should have mentioned I am open to getting a Windows machine as well, so I am more in the dark about what Windows machine to get?

I wouldn't know where to start with a custom build.

I think just getting a new/used desktop would be my preferred option, possibly would go back to Windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if that Mac is an Intel based one you might consider using dual boot

Nope, it's not an Intel machine, it's a PowerPC

seachto7 wrote: »
    I should have mentioned I am open to getting a Windows machine as well, so I am more in the dark about what Windows machine to get?

I wouldn't know where to start with a custom build.

I think just getting a new/used desktop would be my preferred option, possibly would go back to Windows...

If you're based in Dublin I'd put a custom build together for you no problem. If not, there's plenty of people around the country willing to help wherever you are, just ask in B&U

• Advertisement

Hi,

Not up in Dublin I am afraid, I never thought about a custom build, but will have a look over on that forum.

I wonder could the mods transfer this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved to B&U.

cheers mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi,

Not up in Dublin I am afraid, I never thought about a custom build, but will have a look over on that forum.

I wonder could the mods transfer this thread?

It's really not as hard as you think building your own. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

The hardest part is getting all the right bit's you'll need to build it. But, that's were we come in. deconduo won't steer you wrong and his builds are always solid.
    You'll save yourself a lot of money in the end. And, you could always build a hackintosh too if you want to still use OSX.

See, this is my problem lol...

I am not swayed with Mac over PC. I notice the advantage of Mac when I am using recording software, in that it is seamless to use.
    My main problem is that it's a PowerPC, and not Intel. That means I am goosed for Flash and the latest browsers, which I would like to have in order to use some Firefox plugins for example....
    So if someone could butcher my Mac, then I would say "work away", but it seems it PowerPC is the issue....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'd go over to Macrumors and look on their PowerPC forum and see how others are getting around this issue. http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145

Think I might move away from Mac altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If the only advantage of the Mac is that it's fast at rendering stuff, wouldn't that mean you could just get a Windows machine with a decent processor? If you don't use anything that only works on Mac, why not go for Windows?

Anyway, if you decide to, fill this out and we'll spec a build for you.

Serephucus wrote: »
    If the only advantage of the Mac is that it's fast at rendering stuff, wouldn't that mean you could just get a Windows machine with a decent processor? If you don't use anything that only works on Mac, why not go for Windows?

Anyway, if you decide to, fill this out and we'll spec a build for you.

Yup, you're right there. I will fill it out over the next few days. (Who do I send it to?):confused::confused:

LOL, just post it here. :P

Is there an idiot button I can press?

Click-here-button.png

Good enough? :P

1. What is your budget? €400, SImilar to what I paid for the PowerPC Mac at the time, so would like to keep it at this, or under if possible!

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Work, which is SEO/PPC, so I would be running some software on it to run reports, analysis etc, some low level website maintenance.
    I would also use this for watching tv online.
    I would also use it to do some low level music recording, which would involve using some software plugins, but nothing too taxing...

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Not sure, I don't think I could.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1152x864] [Not upgrading anytime soon]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not sure....

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser. Would prefer Laser..

9. When are you purchasing? No timeframe...

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick

I'd go with deconduo's build from the first page. If you want to save a bit of money, Software4Students does Windows 7 for €45.50 vs. HVWS's €85. Should bring you to your €400 budget.

Cool, so this is something I never did before, do I just order all of it separately...?

deconduo's suggestion was for a Mac if I am not mistaken? So it would just involve gutting my existing machine?

• Advertisement

You order the parts from HWVS as-is. If you want them to assemble it for you (I'd give it a go yourself, it's not hard, and people here will gladly help) chuck this in your cart as well. You order Win7 from S4S as-is as well, and install* it when you get the computer.

*To install Windows, you boot into your BIOS (press delete on start up), and set your DVD drive as the default boot device. You then pop your Windows disc in, and it's very similar to a regular application install from there on. Because the version from S4S is an upgrade (that's why it's so cheap) there's a bit of an extra step, which basically means you do this twice (don't worry, the whole process is only about ten minutes, twenty in your case), but there's plenty of guides online for how to do this. If you don't want this extra step, you'll have to fork out the extra €40 for the full version from HWVS.

I just clicked on the link, what is "Rechner - Zusammenbau"

As to what it means, I couldn't tell you, but what it is the assembly service that HWVS offer done as an "item", if you like. Allowing you to add a custom set of components together, and getting them to assemble it.

Edit: Google Translate tells me it means "Calculator - Assembly".

If you're based in Dublin I could build it for you and install Windows etc.

Not based in Dublin, but would not be a problem..
    Leave it with me...:)

Advertisement