Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording Police Brutality in the US. (Graphic)

• 08-02-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFjQKcwbTdY&feature=share
    It is no secret that the United States has a serious problem with police abuse, brutality, and corruption. It is essential for civilians to document their encounters with police officers to ensure transparency, accountability, and safety to all of those involved.

There's some difference between US cops and our own Garda. Our Garda usually listen. They don't just start breaking limbs with batons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's some difference between US cops and our own Garda. Our Garda usually listen. They don't just start breaking limbs with batons.

Considering that some police depts in the US have been known to turn down potential recruits on the basis that they are 'too intelligent' to be cops; this is hardly surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Tell that to the poor sod in waterford who was pepper sprayed, punched, kicked, beaten, handcuffed and thrown in a van by the cops while one of them shirted the camera to pervert the course of justice!
    Actually just tell it to Nicky Kelly; no wait save it for Derek Fairbrother...your glad now that I didn't mention Abbeylara, aren't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Considering that some police depts in the US have been known to turn down potential recruits on the basis that they are 'too intelligent' to be cops; this is hardly surprising.

A bunch of us had to deal with cops while in America years ago. We had a house party, there were complaints about noise.
    The cops showed up, made us all sit down outside, and when anyone tried to ask them anything they just started shouting and using very threatening behaviour. We weren't some dangerous 'gang' or anything. Just drunken Irish on a J1 visa. They would shout and shout and shout right into our faces! My impression was that they were a bunch of idiots.

I think they inject testosterone and steroids. Roid rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A bunch of us had to deal with cops while in America years ago. We had a house party, there were complaints about noise.
    The cops showed up, made us all sit down outside, and when anyone tried to ask them anything they just started shouting and using very threatening behaviour. We weren't some dangerous 'gang' or anything. Just drunken Irish on a J1 visa. They would shout and shout and shout right into our faces! My impression was that they were a bunch of idiots.

Just thank Christ you werent brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Want to be enraged more by America's police force?

Watch this: http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/54162036

you can't even file complaints against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I love ameriacn cops. Them browns and the poor need taken down a peg or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

made us all sit down outside.

Oh dear lord, you were made to sit down? did you all pull through the ordeal in one piece. :eek:

Opening clip was justifiable use of lethal force in the states. Second clip was a copper who shot a guy when he thought he was holding his tazer no his gun..oops he went to jail for it if I recall correctly. Stopped watching after those that. presumably its the usual edited highlights with some hicksville state troopers acting the bollix thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Our Garda never have to worry about guns, they aren't trained to expect every person they arrest to have guns, but still that doesn't give them the right to beat people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Could do with a bit more of that over here IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Anybody who thinks we need that style of policing here is a fool. We do need a heavier policing style, but nowhere near the complete abuse shown in the video.
    I bet the same people would also complain when the gardai give them a talking to or a penalty point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Our Garda never have to worry about guns, they aren't trained to expect every person they arrest to have guns, but still that doesn't give them the right to beat people.

You didn't hear about that incident in Tipp last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

lividduck wrote: »
    Tell that to the poor sod in waterford who was pepper sprayed, punched, kicked, beaten, handcuffed and thrown in a van by the cops while one of them shirted the camera to pervert the course of justice!
    Actually just tell it to Nicky Kelly; no wait save it for Derek Fairbrother...your glad now that I didn't mention Abbeylara, aren't you.

We have the Garda Ombudsman to deal with that, a fully independent organization.
    In the US, at most they have is an internal complaints process. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks we need that style of policing here is a fool. We do need a heavier policing style, but nowhere near the complete abuse shown in the video.
    I bet the same people would also complain when the gardai give them a talking to or a penalty point.

No we don't. We need a more professional approach like they have in the UK. They'll call you 'Sir' the entire time, because it's respectful, they know they're public servants, they know they're always on CCTV and you don't diffuse any situation by acting aggressively, you inflame it more. A lot of ordinary level Gardai (and every Bangarda I've ever met) are just arrogant pricks, not brutes, just really overbearing ****. Even asking for civil service duties, signing forms etc, they have an attitude as if they're doing you a favour. They seem to get off on watching you having to almost beg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

We have the Garda Ombudsman to deal with that, a fully independent organization.
    In the US, at most they have is an internal complaints process. Good luck with that.
    America has an internal affairs department that is seperate from the main body of cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

While I'm sure the scenes shown in the videos are legitimate cases of pure criminal behavior on the part of cops, it's important to have some perspective on the situation - after all, we're talking about a country of over 300 million people.

I've had many interactions with police in America, and seen many more, and heard even more first hand accounts from people - and cases like those shown in the videos are very rare. They're definitely much more common in the big cities, and while they're not unheard of in smaller towns, they are a rare occurrence. Most of them happen in cities and states that are thoroughly corrupt to begin with, all the way to the top - but in most states, and most cities, this kind of police behavior would not be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I've noticed that in the majority of cases where police brutality has been reported on AH that I've seen, the majority of posters rally to the defence of the police. I find this unbelievable to be honest. People seem to refuse, for one reason or another, to believe that the police are capable of doing the stuff they are accused of. Many posters try whatever way they can to justify their actions and it drives me up the wall. Police are conditioned to act first, think later. They are way more capable and inclined than most to commit crimes of abuse.

It happens hundreds of times a day all over the world.

Google "police brutality" once a day and a new story will appear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2098240/Henderson-police-officer-seen-dashcam-video-brutally-kicking-motorist-suffering-diabetic-shock.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What I'm waiting for is a personal video recorder that will just stream video to the web. Some cops will and have attempted to destroy evidence before. Like in the Miami shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Everything in that video i crazy alright. The thing about the motorcyclist is insane.
    But at the same time I wonder. America has a population of what, 350 million? This video is perhaps a bit Michael Moore-esque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

A video which is the perfect example of cherry picking. A country of 300 million people is going to get this. And I ain't no supporter of the Yankee government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

talla10 wrote: »
    You didn't hear about that incident in Tipp last week?

Yes obviously there are gonna be occasions where guns are involved, but i doubt they think "gun" everytime they arrest/stop somebody in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Just studying this sort of behaviour at the moment in college, how good people turn bad?....assuming these cops weren born bad people.

http://www.ted.com/talks/philip_zimbardo_on_the_psychology_of_evil.html

Very interesting summary of a book based around an experiment which proposes that this sort of behaviour ( not a get out jail free card) is produced by the environment and the system which allows this sort of power to people. well worth the watch.

Bit of info, The 'dummy' prisons in the experiment were essentially tortured, humiliated in various different ways by the 'dummy' guards. the guards for all intensive purposes took pleasure in their humiliation, how is this similar to what is posted in the video above?.....He also compares this to the torture which took place in Abu Ghraib around 2003/4 at the hands of the US military.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

America has an internal affairs department that is seperate from the main body of cops.

During this entire Occupy situation I've never seen them say anything other than "Nothing wrong with that", over behavior which I have absolutely no doubt would land gardai in court facing serious assault causing harm charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

token101 wrote: »
    No we don't. We need a more professional approach like they have in the UK. They'll call you 'Sir' the entire time, because it's respectful, they know they're public servants, they know they're always on CCTV and you don't diffuse any situation by acting aggressively, you inflame it more. A lot of ordinary level Gardai (and every Bangarda I've ever met) are just arrogant pricks, not brutes, just really overbearing ****. Even asking for civil service duties, signing forms etc, they have an attitude as if they're doing you a favour. They seem to get off on watching you having to almost beg.

They are doing you a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MagicSean wrote: »

Not if its part of their job, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Bambi wrote: »
    Opening clip was justifiable use of lethal force in the states. Second clip was a copper who shot a guy when he thought he was holding his tazer no his gun..oops he went to jail for it if I recall correctly. Stopped watching after those that. presumably its the usual edited highlights with some hicksville state troopers acting the bollix thrown in for good measure.

You Moron .He repeatedly shot him at least 4 times which you cannot do with a tazer.It was murder and he should have got the needle.
    P.S.. A tazer is not that loud and could never be mistaken for a 9mm sidearm.

You Moron .He repeatedly shot him at least 4 times which you cannot do with a tazer.It was murder and he should have got the needle.
    P.S.. A tazer is not that loud and could never be mistaken for a 9mm sidearm.

He only shot him once..if this was the BART shooting. The cop claimed he had intended to taze to the guy and from what I remember other witnesses heard him say that he was going to taze him.

I think once he blew a hole in the guy and heard the loud bang he would have figured out that it was'nt his tazer he was holding.:P

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/08/local/la-me-bart-verdict-20100709

token101 wrote: »

I've never found them to be anything but polite and courteous, and helpful if I was getting forms signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Internal Affairs as presented in tv shows and films is nothing like how it is in real life. There is no single organization called Internal Affairs. Every department has their own and the make up of it is different. Some cities and counties have it made up of civilians or officers that report directly to the chief. Loads of different names for IA too. I think San Francisco was one of first departments with a civilian review board. Office of civilian complaints I think. But mostly IA is just made up of cops that were a bit on in years or cops with injures on the job that limited their duties. A lot would be still buddies or be known by kid people they would have to investigate. And from my experience in dealing with US law enforcement they are not hated like how movies portray it either.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Not if its part of their job, no.

It's not part of the job. Garda id and the back page of passport forms are. Nothing else.

Just to clarify. Gardaí are not obliged to fill out anything because another agency wants it. That is not part of the job and I challenge you to find something which states otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sounds good to me. I was in an estate before in which the Gardaí were repeatidly called for noise complaints for the same students and they did nothing about it. Sounds like yee deserved it. Especially when you say Just drunken Irish students to describe yourselves...you were drunk Irish students causing a disturbance to people who most likely live there with their families..have more consideration
    Old Perry wrote: »
    Just studying this sort of behaviour at the moment in college, how good people turn bad?....assuming these cops weren born bad people.

http://www.ted.com/talks/philip_zimbardo_on_the_psychology_of_evil.html

Very interesting summary of a book based around an experiment which proposes that this sort of behaviour ( not a get out jail free card) is produced by the environment and the system which allows this sort of power to people. well worth the watch.

Bit of info, The 'dummy' prisons in the experiment were essentially tortured, humiliated in various different ways by the 'dummy' guards. the guards for all intensive purposes took pleasure in their humiliation, how is this similar to what is posted in the video above?.....He also compares this to the torture which took place in Abu Ghraib around 2003/4 at the hands of the US military.

Do you study psychology by any chance? If so I call shenanigans on your entire field of study and possible future profession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's not part of the job. Garda id and the back page of passport forms are. Nothing else.

Just to clarify. Gardaí are not obliged to fill out anything because another agency wants it. That is not part of the job and I challenge you to find something which states otherwise.

There should be civilian clerical staff working in Police stations to carry out this type of work. There are civilian staff working in all sorts of sensitive areas.

Why is this not the case with our Police?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rodney King forum
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Not that independent now.

There should be civilian clerical staff working in Police stations to carry out this type of work. There are civilian staff working in all sorts of sensitive areas.

Why is this not the case with our Police?

People have always been wary about letting their neighbours know their business in this country. Somehow they feel more comfortable with a Garda handling their info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

People have always been wary about letting their neighbours know their business in this country. Somehow they feel more comfortable with a Garda handling their info.

Civilian staff have to abide by privacy laws AFAIK. It's a joke that Garda time is wasted on filling out forms.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Not that independent now.

Is that 2 year old article supposed to support some point. The Ombudsman have their own power to refer stuff to the dpp.

Civilian staff have to abide by privacy laws AFAIK. It's a joke that Garda time is wasted on filling out forms.

I agree with you completely. It's a matter of perception. People, especialy the older folks feel much more comfortable dealing with the uniform. It's what the reserve should be used for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Apparently there's quite a large Irish American influence in the police over there. No wonder.

Apparently there's quite a large Irish American influence in the police over there. No wonder.

Only in some areas like Boston and New York.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Is that 2 year old article supposed to support some point. The Ombudsman have their own power to refer stuff to the dpp.

The point I supose is that the Garda Ombudsman can carry out an "independent" investigation into an issue, find that a Garda breached regulations and recommend that the Garda in question should be disciplined. The recomendations are then rejected by a college of the Garda in question.

What is the point of an "independent" investigation into a breach of regulations when the outcome is decided by one of your colleges.

It's a bit like a Garda presenting a case against someone with rock solid evidence but the jury are all the accused's friends.

Only in some areas like Boston and New York.

They only have disproportionate levels of police brutality in some areas too. And NY happens to be top of the list.

What I'm waiting for is a personal video recorder that will just stream video to the web. Some cops will and have attempted to destroy evidence before. Like in the Miami shooting.

You can do this with your phone already afaik - there are websites out there that let you stream video directly. You would just want to have it set up in advance so it's ready to go.

Update: here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No they f***ing well are not doing you a favour. That's their job as public servants. Any cop who won't sign a form for you simply because he's not obliged to is an arrogant piece of **** and has no place in the public service.

Advertisement