Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Computer Science Manageable even with Ordinary Level Maths in the Leaving Cert?

• 08-02-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm Interested in studying Computer Science in UCD but I've heard that theres quite a lot of maths in the course...especially the first 2 years. I also HATE Maths but I'd love to do something with Software development which is why I'm thinking of puting up with maths for 2 more years. UCD require a B3 to enter the course which I can manage because I'm averaging about a B3,B2,B1 and I'm confident of scoring pretty well for the leaving. Also are the maths modules in Computer Science quite a step up from the Leaving or will it be grand after a while?

Is It hard? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'd imagine that the maths in computer science is very different from what you do in school. You doing ordinary level shouldn't affect your prospects too much, it's more you need to be very logical and have good problem solving ability in order to do well in comp sci, and you need the same style of thinking to do well in LC maths. There are standalone courses in software engineering in the uk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

In UCD, it helps a lot but it would be a requirement if it was that difficult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Unless you're applying to MIT, Berkeley UC, or Stanford, you should not worry about difficulty of the course or Maths involved. Honestly, it is taught at such a troublingly simple level. I would recommend to apply elsewhere, unless your aim is to develop your own product or firm. Sadly universities do not offer an in depth study, and it is learnable by yoursel at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

As someone who did Ordinary maths in the Leaving, and then went on to do a Computer Science course in college, I'd say ordinary level is only useful if you're capable of higher if that makes sense.

I left my course after 10 weeks of it, because the maths just got impossible. I remember trying to get my head around induction and other things that aren't covered in Leaving Cert ordinary maths. And the teaching in college is more independent, unlike secondary school, so you have to try and teach yourself the material to get on a level playing field, before the proper maths in computers kicks in.

It ruined it for me, just saying. Probably didn't do enough research into the course but if you think you can handle it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dmcb123

I did the introduction to computer science course in UCD and they said that all you need is a willingness to learn maths and they will teach you all you need to know. But thats all i can say :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm doing Comp. Systems in UL. I would recommend having Honours Maths, but if you work diligently, it shouldn't really be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

dmcb123 wrote: »
    I did the introduction to computer science course in UCD and they said that all you need is a willingness to learn maths and they will teach you all you need to know. But thats all i can say :/

If that was anything like the course I did in fourth year in UCC it does not give you any idea of what studying computer science is actually like, it was all fun stuff like web design and linux commands. I think it was more to try to get people into the course, than to really show what's involved. But it could be different in UCD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I've heard many suggest that people who struggle with subjects like maths should attend smaller colleges.
    That way the lecturers are more willing to give you a hand and there's less pressure on yourself?
    Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

A good friend of mine is doing CS in DIT and did OL maths - she wasn't really a mathsy person in school, but in college she's been keeping her head down and working her ass off. She has a brilliant work ethic and it seems to be paying off - she's gotten all As in her Christmas exams next to some people who would have considered themselves mathematical geniuses! Afaik, the maths is pretty different to LC maths - that's not to say it's harder though. If you study in college and don't resign yourself to failing, it should be perfectly doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

It's hard but it's not impossible. I did ordinary level maths for my leaving in 2001 and went on to do a degree in Computer Science. At times, yes I'll admit to it being very difficult. But my interest in the course and topic I was studing far outweighed the difficulties of mathematics for computer science. If you put your head down and work hard you'll get what you want. Whilst mathematics is essential to understanding a huge amount of CS it doesn't affect all parts of your course.

I completed the degree and graduated and I'm glad I stuck with it. Go for it, you've nothing to lose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

My brother did quite poorly in OL Maths and got a 1H in Computer Science. Now that's not to say he wouldn't have been good at Maths. It's just a different kettle of fish in the LC. Taught different and applied different. As has been said above, the main thing about CS is that you take a logical approach to solving problems. My brother was always natural at this so really CS was a good fit.

Don't let LC Maths tell you how good you are at real Maths and its real applications. Start talking to your career guidance counsellor and maybe try and take some aptitude tests in Logic and Reason etc (can probably even find some online).. and see if it's something you enjoy and are good at.

Best of Luck with whatever you do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

There's no denying that Honours Maths will make it easier to understand the maths involved in the courses.....but If Honours maths is not a requirement and usually for B.Sc courses it isn't then Ordinary level will suffice. The academics that design these courses want you to pass the course once you enroll so it is in their best interest to make the entry requirements accurate and aimed appropriately at the right level of leaving cert student.

One other thing that I feel should be mentioned...the Maths in third level is taught differently on these types of courses...what I mean is as a leaving cert student the maths you are doing is often very difficult to understand where and how you will be using it...the maths on your course is being taught with a specific purpose in mind and that purpose usually gets covered in a lab or a tutorial at some stage...which helps to make the maths that bit easier as you will see why it is needed.

Advertisement