Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Computer Science Manageable even with Ordinary Level Maths in the Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm Interested in studying Computer Science in UCD but I've heard that theres quite a lot of maths in the course...especially the first 2 years. I also HATE Maths but I'd love to do something with Software development which is why I'm thinking of puting up with maths for 2 more years. UCD require a B3 to enter the course which I can manage because I'm averaging about a B3,B2,B1 and I'm confident of scoring pretty well for the leaving. Also are the maths modules in Computer Science quite a step up from the Leaving or will it be grand after a while?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

momoamir wrote: »
    I'm Interested in studying Computer Science in UCD but I've heard that theres quite a lot of maths in the course...especially the first 2 years. I also HATE Maths but I'd love to do something with Software development which is why I'm thinking of puting up with maths for 2 more years. UCD require a B3 to enter the course which I can manage because I'm averaging about a B3,B2,B1 and I'm confident of scoring pretty well for the leaving. Also are the maths modules in Computer Science quite a step up from the Leaving or will it be grand after a while?

I did ordinary, got a B1, averaging a 1st, currently in 4th year. Don't let the maths deter you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'll be fine. Math in college in generally is nothing like how they teach it in the LC. You get far more detailed notes on a specific element, for instance in Engineering there is an entire module that purely looks at Matrices. Nothing else. So instead of needing to know 40 topics, you need to know maybe 3 or 4 in detail. There are also plenty of tutorials and help on hand.

Without trying to sound demeaning, strong math skills would really only be required for mathematical grounded courses such as Engineering and the sciences such as Physics. And even then, its manageable. I was never ace at Math but I've never struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I only did Ordinary maths in the leaving and found the maths to be grand as long as you go to lectures and tutorials.

• Advertisement
Advertisement