Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever dine and dash?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭

did you feel bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If I could understand what you were on about I might be able to respond properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

No but i worked in a hotel and i'm amazed the amount of people that do it.

B*****ds got me in so much trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

No, I am not a thief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭i_am_job

Blikes wrote: »
    No but i worked in a hotel and i'm amazed the amount of people that do it.

B*****ds got me in so much trouble!

Does the waiter/ess really get blamed for that ?? :eek: thats unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

We sure did, memo's and notices went up about taking the value out of our wages which just meant service suffered because people wouldn't take on more than 3 or 4 tables because they couldn't watch more than that for runners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Blikes wrote: »
    We sure did, memo's and notices went up about taking the value out of our wages

Surely that's not legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Did it once in Eddie Rockets where I genuinely tried to pay but there was no staff member around so I thought fcuk it.

Once in Barcelona aswell where I was going to get stumped with a hefty bill due to some other people p1ssing off without paying. Did I feel guilty? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Did it once in Eddie Rockets where I genuinely tried to pay but there was no staff member around so I thought fcuk it.

Once in Barcelona aswell where I was going to get stumped with a hefty bill due to some other people p1ssing off without paying. Did I feel guilty? No.

how long did you wait in eddie rockets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Well there was one waiter and when he went into the kitchen i left so a few seconds give or take:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

A guy I knew in College one did a runner after a late night meal in Eddie Rockets - he ran off but left his coat behind, which was worth more than the burger and chips he'd eaten.

Karma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In my opinion it is very poor form to 'dine & dash'. Theft. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A few minutes. Was no-one at the counter and no-one seemed too interested in taking my money so I just left. Wouldn't normally do that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zombot

We accidentally did once, we were having a drink with friends after eating and then hopped in the taxi without paying for the meal. We were horrified when we remembered, went back the following day and paid for it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

A guy I knew in College one did a runner after a late night meal in Eddie Rockets - he ran off but left his coat behind, which was worth more than the burger and chips he'd eaten.

Karma.

same type of story, a mate did the same , got 100 yards up the road and he lost one of his shoes, kept running followed by the bouncer, got home with just the one shoe on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Would never do it. I had to go back and pay for a coffee that I had forgotten to pay for a week later. The waitressing staff thought it was hilarious. :o

It's a s***ty thing to do. Not only is it theft but the waiting staff would get a bollocking, if not have to cover it. Worked last night and there were some dashers, and two staff members got in big trouble for it. One was in the kitchen, the other had gone on a break and the couple out the side door. You'd need eyes in the back of your head to see them. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I would never do it, would not feel right about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've done it a couple of times by accident, but I've always gone back to pay later.

I've only been tempted to do it purposefully do it once. I was after having a bad meal with really bad service and after 10 minutes of trying to get a waiters attention to get the bill I was on the edge of just leaving but decided against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

4 of us in Dakota in Dublin. Had dinner and a few drinks each. Left to go to another pub.

Sat down and realised we hadn't paid so I went back. Took them around 5 mins to find it on the register, came to around 150 in total.

They would have noticed when they totaled the till so glad we realised and I went back. I don't believe in karma at all but neither do I believe that stealing is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

diddlybit wrote: »
    It's a s***ty thing to do. Not only is it theft but the waiting staff would get a bollocking, if not have to cover it.
    The only time I've ever done it was after several attempts to get the bill, even more attempts to get the waiting staff to collect the money and yet more attempts standing in front of the till trying to get them to take the money off me. If the waiting staff both got a bollocking and had to cover it under those circumstances, then so be it, maybe they'll learn from the experience. And no, the place wasn't even that busy at the time before anyone asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Done it once but I feel it was justified. Ordered beef,over an hour later was served Lamb. Waitress swore blind it was beef. Wouldn't knock anything off the bill. I paid that one.
    Went to another branch of sane pub in a different city and service wasn't great. Seen my opportunity and took it.
    Would never even dream of it if the meal and service were up to scratch but charging top dollar for **** service. No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I could never do it. I have even on occasion notified the waiter that there is an error on my bill and that they have left off an item that I'd ordered. To be fair though, I argue the other way if I feel I've been overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Accidentally did it once somewhere in Dublin. We got finger food and stuff in a pub and then moved on. It was only when we got to the next place that we realised that we all thought someone else had paid for it. So one of the lads went back and sorted it.

Have had plenty of opportunity to do it though. We had breakfast in a hotel in Trieste one morning while waiting for a Ryanair flight home. When we went up to pay, the first thing they said was, "Oh, you don't have to pay", but when we explained it then took him five minutes to figure out how to ring in the breakfast on the till. We could easily have walked off without paying. But we're not scumbags so we didn't.

Alun wrote: »
    The only time I've ever done it was after several attempts to get the bill, even more attempts to get the waiting staff to collect the money and yet more attempts standing in front of the till trying to get them to take the money off me. If the waiting staff both got a bollocking and had to cover it under those circumstances, then so be it, maybe they'll learn from the experience. And no, the place wasn't even that busy at the time before anyone asks.

There's an easy enough solution to this. Stand up. Find the manager. Complain about the service. Pay. Staff gets a boll**king anyhow. Service improves. Theft not committed.

Most dine and dashers are just cheap and dishonest. Proposing that somehow you are improving an establishment by running out the door without paying, is just attempting to mask this fact under a veil of some form of twisted ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The old Bodega in Cork was famous for 'free' food in the first few years of its existence - they just didn't seem to have any system and people used to regularly walk out without paying and no one seemed to care.
    The only time I ever did it was similar to a post or two above - after spending about 10 minutes being ignored at the counter, I just walked out. No regrets - despite feeling cheap and dishonest with twisted ethics!:D

after spending about 10 minutes being ignored at the counter, I just walked out.

I can see how that would be frustrating, but in my experience most people who walk out without paying are either conciously trying to get a free meal or sometimes just forget in a moment of absent-mindedness. It's always nice though when the latter comes back to pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Nope, bad form and wouldn't ever do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xeneon

I work in a busy restaurant myself and we do get a fair few heads attempting this. The place is big and quite the tourist trap so it is bound happen considering how many come in.

I've only ever had people do a runner with small things like a pint or a coffee but a few people have tried to sneak off on larger bills in which I had to catch them on.

The largest bill would have been €121 from an English family sitting at the table closest to the front door. They had just about finished their mains before they tried to do a legger. Didn't even have the plates cleared and still some drink left. Father and 2 kids were out the door and mother was almost out before I ran up and showed her the bill.

Needless to say, I got no tip. Meh, sure beats me paying €121 euro :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Xeneon wrote: »
    I work in a busy restaurant myself and we do get a fair few heads attempting this. The place is big and quite the tourist trap so it is bound happen considering how many come in.

I've only ever had people do a runner with small things like a pint or a coffee but a few people have tried to sneak off on larger bills in which I had to catch them on.

The largest bill would have been €121 from an English family sitting at the table closest to the front door. They had just about finished their mains before they tried to do a legger. Didn't even have the plates cleared and still some drink left. Father and 2 kids were out the door and mother was almost out before I ran up and showed her the bill.

Needless to say, I got no tip. Meh, sure beats me paying €121 euro :cool:
    Would restaurants not be able to prosecute for theft as supermarkets and clothing do for shoplifting? Surely it's the same thing. They're walking out the door with the goods in their bellies and haven't paid for it. If restaurants were to follow suite then people would think twice about attempting it. A criminal prosecution is a huge deterrent I would think.

Would restaurants not be able to prosecute for theft as supermarkets and clothing do for shoplifting? Surely it's the same thing. They're walking out the door with the goods in their bellies and haven't paid for it. If restaurants were to follow suite then people would think twice about attempting it. A criminal prosecution is a huge deterrent I would think.

I think it's called theft of services. Finding them is the difficult bit, "dashing" is the appropriate term, they could be ages away before anyone spots that they're gone. I think a lot of businesses would also be reluctant to call the guards because it causes such a scene. (Happened once in a place that I worked, guy tried to pay a bill for his family meal with a fake Rolex.:))

I never understand people who dash when with kids, it's a really sh**ty lesson to teach them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

diddlybit wrote: »
    I never understand people who dash when with kids, it's a really sh**ty lesson to teach them.
    These people think it's OK, so they see no reason why their kids shouldn't learn how to do it.

They're just dirtbags, there's no understanding them.

Advertisement