Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever dine and dash?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I did it when in college. Not "proud" of it but it does not keep me awake at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xeneon

Would restaurants not be able to prosecute for theft as supermarkets and clothing do for shoplifting? Surely it's the same thing. They're walking out the door with the goods in their bellies and haven't paid for it. If restaurants were to follow suite then people would think twice about attempting it. A criminal prosecution is a huge deterrent I would think.

When it does happen it is logged but generally no action is taken unless it is a fair few hundred quid or a few grand then the guards are called in but that's rare. If it is a small amount then the waiter pays. It not really worth the hassle to sift through camera footage to determine who done a runner and call the guards to find this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I used to work at the till of a carvery in Clare when I was young and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who tried to get away with not paying.

Nearly always the same type, middle aged farmers and 'country men'. They'd just see you at the till and pretend they didn't and sit down and eat. I say on your average Sunday, 15 lads would try it. I'd go down to most of them and it'd always be the same 'oh jesus sorry i forgot' even when he'd have tried the same 2 weeks before!

Some days I just couldn't be bothered chasing them, management didn't know so it was no skin off my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I never have done it and I never would do it.

It's theft and it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

I did it before. I was in holiday in Spain with a few mates and after a nice 3 course meal and plenty of wine we decided to do credit card roulette for who pays the tab. I was the unfortunate one and the tab was pretty pricey so when i said i was going up to pay, i just went for a piss and did a houdini. never told them incase some didnt fell right but i didnt want to hand over that sum. When it was suggested we return to the same place to eat again the following evening cause it was so good. i had to protest that we should try new places while we are there. The lads even paid for my meal and drinks that night cos i was the one stung last time. So you can say it worked out quite well for me :). Not proud of it ! Not ashamed of it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

me m wrote: »
    So you can say it worked out quite well for me :).

There's other things you can say, for example, you can say that you've probably ripped off a local family run establishment that served you a nice meal because you were too cheap to pay what you owed.

Hopefully you get scammed in the future, interesting to see if you'll be able to take such a relaxed attitude to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

me m wrote: »
    we decided to do credit card roulette for who pays the tab.

I really don't get this... why not just split it? :confused:

It would have had the added 'bonus' of not fleecing a decent restaurant serving good-quality food.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I really don't get this... why not just split it? :confused:

Lads having 'fun'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Lads having 'fun'.
    Ah. I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xeneon

If the place was doing the usual Let's-Rip-Off-The-Tourist trick then I can understand it (some places would even charge tourists for table, chairs and cutlery) but if you were happy with the meal and service then that ain't cool bro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭davetherave

Did it once over in the States, by accident.
    Bill came to the table, I took the cash out of my wallet and had it in my pocket, had the tip in my hand. One lad went to the jacks, the second guy went off to get the 4th guys wheelchair. Waitress was walking by, put the tip on her tray "That was great, thanks very much".
    Out the door, in the car and off home. Back in the house anyway emptying the pockets onto the counter (phone, wallet , keys ) and there is Ulysses S. Grant, his twin brother and the bill from the restaurant looking back at me.

I went back and paid. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Did it once in a place. Requested the bill about five times waited an age, then just said to hell with it. Got up the road my friend had forgotten his umbrella so we said fair enough went back, picked up umbrella tried yet again to pay, still to no avail. Left again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

Xeneon wrote: »
    If the place was doing the usual Let's-Rip-Off-The-Tourist trick then I can understand it (some places would even charge tourists for table, chairs and cutlery) but if you were happy with the meal and service then that ain't cool bro.

Not my finest hour. I did say i wasnt proud of it. I tell you what if im ever back in the area again i will go into the restaurant and pay them for a meal i had 4 years ago. But im more broke now than I was then so chances are slim i will be back. You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

No, I wouldn't do it. My friend used to work in a restaurant and lost a lot of wages to scumbags doing it. I did get undercharged for a meal out with my family a few months ago and said nothing about it. I had been overcharged the last time I went to the same restaurant.

Advertisement