Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp / Bee Repellent

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Is there a plant, shrub or flower that repels bees and wasps? Have tried using waspinators in the garden but they don't seem to have worked at all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

SAN123 wrote: »
    Is there a plant, shrub or flower that repels bees and wasps? Have tried using waspinators in the garden but they don't seem to have worked at all.

WHY do you want to kill/repel BEES?????:mad:

Bees are vital for pollination and crop,plant/flower growth and are a vital link in nature and in this country.

They are an endangered species now,as people do not respect them and are so ill informed about them.

Bees are harmlesss and do so many great things.

Leave the bees alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Obviously not everyone is fond of bees, however it does seem odd to seek advice on methods of controlling bees (which afterall are a very important creature to gardeners etc) in a gardening forum? :confused:

I would suggest that you apply some common sense and refrain from using any flowering plant stock in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SAN123

Reason I want to repel bees/wasps is that I am absolutely terrified of them, have such a bad phobia. All the plants in my garden are plants that don't flower. I thought this would be the best forum to ask about this, as I have no idea of plants or flowers and people on this forum would be much more informed than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

As far as I know there is no such product that would repel wasp/bees.

The only was to reduce them in your garden is to have nothing at all flowering, no water source and no where for them to nest. We had wasp nests in our shed, in clump flowers, in space between trees. The best thing is to always clear up leaves/ debris and poke around in any spaces.

You know yourself you're never gonna have no bees/wasps so may be just as well to maybe work on the so scared of them. I've a big thing about spiders but it's not practical for me to run away everytime I see one as I'd never get any work down.

The only thing I would say is please to do not use any pesticides to get rid of them, as the others have pointed out bees are incredible important to our envrionment and we do not need to lose any more than we already have.

I don't have any flowering plants in my garden or water features, but every year there seems to be soooo many of them around the house. I do have a fern in the front garden that seems to attract them.

Will have to check weather or not there is a nest in it. How did you manage to get rid of the nest in your shed? Just in case i do have a nest in the garden

• Advertisement

We just left them at for the rest of the summer and then destroyed the nest in the winter.

Now's the time to check all your garden and clear all debris and keep checking through the summer.

If you have loads around the fern then you may well have a nest there.

Think I no what I'll be doing tomorrow so, yeah gonna go through the garden to check it all. Just don't want to go through this year like last year, they where everywhere, even put up waspinators but they didn't seem to work at all. thanks for your help Ophiopogon, but just one last question how did you distroy the nest?? where there still any left in it??

Well as much as I would not be scared by wasps I still don't want to take any risks with an angry wasp. I just poked a very large hole the whole way through it and left it for a while to see if there were any lingering and than just take the whole thing out. I wouldn't think there would be any around them just now anyway.

Just make sure to check all nooks and crannies as they can be crafty. I did see a nest between a tree and the shed once.

Thanks again Ophiopogon will have a check around tomorrow.

A wasp is not a bee and a bee is not a wasp.

They are 2 different creatures alltogether and a bee is vital for ecology and this country.

A bee is facinating to watch buzzing around from plant to plant collecting the nectar and pollen.

Do not kill or deter bees

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    A wasp is not a bee and a bee is not a wasp.

They are 2 different creatures alltogether and a bee is vital for ecology and this country.

A bee is facinating to watch buzzing around from plant to plant collecting the nectar and pollen.

Do not kill or deter bees

Paddy to be fair if someone is scared of something and asks for advice, there is no point in just saying don't kill them. They may be facinating for some and terrifying for others. Do you have any constructive advice to give here other than pointing out the obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Wasps play their part by feeding aphids to their young.

Bees go in two directions, honey bees and bumble bees.

I don't mean to be insensitive to your feelings but would it be less hassle all round to try to counter the phobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP

on holidays recently I saw many humming birds buzzing around busily like bees around the flowers. So small are the humming birds that some might mistake it for a bee?

But we all know a bird is not a bee and a bee is not a bird?

I'm aware a bird is not a bee and a bee is not a bird, also aware that a bee is not a wasp, and a wasp is not a bee, nevertheless still have a phobia on both bees and wasps alot of people think this is very irrational but, thats what a phobia is an persistent irrational fear of something. Had no intention of trying to kill either the wasps or the bees just wanted to repel them from the garden

I'm aware a bird is not a bee and a bee is not a bird, also aware that a bee is not a wasp, and a wasp is not a bee, nevertheless still have a phobia on both bees and wasps alot of people think this is very irrational but, thats what a phobia is an persistent irrational fear of something. Had no intention of trying to kill either the wasps or the bees just wanted to repel them from the garden

Instead of trying to repel these creatures why dont you seek medical and physological help for your phobia.

I mean there will be wasps and bees when you are outdoors and where ever you go,so I think you should focus on curing your phobia and not running away from it.

Pic of bumble bee on an allium flower head and pic of a bee hive with honey bees.

Both are wonderfull creatures to look at.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Honey bees won't sting you normally unless you go at the hive ,
    Bumble bees have their own job to do & don't normally bother people. The wasps also do a job in your garden eating young larvae of other insects. They only become a nusience late summer when their young are reared. You are really only talking about August Septepmber , the first frost kills them off & the queen wasp looks for aplace to hibernate. In August September youcould just make a wasp trap & put a few in your garden , half a large coke bottle put jam / old coke in the bottom turn the top half back into the bottle funnel side down & watch the wasps go in & not come out . Bumble bees & honey bees will ignore it

Thank you paddy147 for posting up pics but couldn't open them as i don't want to be up all night with nightmares

bertie1 thanks for the tips

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

That fern you are talking about does not flower but it does have extra floral nectaries which give off a sugary sap waterlike liquid , the bees & ants love it along with aphids as it is a source of sugar for them

Advertisement