Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 24mb broadband?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody have this? Whats the upload like? Speedtests would be appreciated. ATM I have 8 (getting 6) with .4 upload. I play a lot of online games and this is hurting me as my ping is about 60/70 without others online, once others use their laptops it goes through the roof.

Will the 24mb package help this much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What's your attenuation? Hugely depends on this (your distance from the exchange). I'm about 2.5km from the exchange and getting 11.8Mbit sync speeds and about real 9.5Mbit/s download speed on speedtests. Ping is 40. Happy out so far. Good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How do I find that out?

Also what upload are you getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

AdamD wrote: »
    How do I find that out?

Hi AdamD,

The download and upload speeds for all eircom broadband products are listed below. Please note these are the maximum speeds. If your broadband speed is lower than the average speed (about 75% of the Max speed) then take a look at the link below -
    Want to improve your broadband speed?
    ================================
    Standard broadband

================================
    Maximum expected speeds
    Home packages

Home Starter

Up to 1MbMaximum speeds:Download 1,024kbps Upload 128kbps
    Home Plus

Up to 3MbMaximum speeds:Download 3,072kbps Upload 384kbps
    Home Advanced

Up to 7MbMaximum speeds:Download 7,168kbps Upload 384kbps
    Home Turbo

Up to 24MbMaximum speeds:Download 24,576kbps Upload 768kbps

Business packages

Business Lite Plus

Up to 3MbMaximum speeds:Download 3,072kbps Upload 384kbps
    Business Starter

Up to 12MbMaximum speeds:Download 12,228kbps Upload 1,126kbps
    Business Enhanced

Up to 18/2MbMaximum speeds:Download 18,432kbps Upload 2,048kbps
    Business Advanced

Up to 24/1MbMaximum speeds:Download 24,576kbps Upload 1,024kbps

Next generation broadband

Maximum expected speeds
    Home packages

Next Generation Broadband Basic

Up to 8Mb Maximum speeds: Download 8,192kbps Upload 512kbps
    Next Generation Broadband Regular

Next Generation Broadband Ultimate

Up to 24Mb Maximum speeds: Download 24,576kbps Upload 768kbps

Business packages

Business Lite Next Generation

Business Lite Plus Next Generation

*Note: The maximum product speeds quoted for eircom broadband are not guaranteed and depend on the quality of your phone line and your distance from the exchange.

Want to improve your broadband speed?

You can also contact eircom Broadband Support for help or further advice with your broadband connection.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

@Ant

Quick question for you!
    I've been on 24mb for about a year and a half now, and when I originally signed up the router used to connect at around 15-16 meg, but the signal kept dropping out, so I rang support up and he lowered the connection to 12, everything was fine after that and has been since.
    The thing i'm wondering is now that my area has recently been upgraded to NGB and i'm only about 1km from the exchange, is there any possibility that the connection would be more reliable if the 12mb connection limit was brought up again?

How do I find that out?

If you log into your eircom router (192.168.1.254) password "broadband1" it will be on the main page. Measured in db. At the end of the day it's down to attenuation. Packages etc make no difference if the line can't support it.

My upload speed is about 500kbit. At the end of the day I'm paying €10 a month extra for probably around 3Mbit quicker speeds. Maybe should have just stuck with the 8Mbit package but I like as much speed as possible!

1762245291.png
    56481596.png

• Advertisement

broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 7168 kbps /512 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 32 dB /17 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 14 dB /23 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.43.168.94

Default Gateway: 159.134.155.6
    First DNS: 159.134.0.1(dns1.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.0.2(dns2.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS: 0.0.0.0

LAN4: 100M/Full Duplex
    Modem IP Address: 192.168.1.254

Modem Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP: Server

DHCP Range: 192.168.1.1 - 200
    Firewall: Low

Wireless Status: 54M
    SSID: eircom18733093

Channel: 6
    Security: Disabled
    Security Key: N/A
    WPS: Disabled

Can anyone translate that for me? :P

Any educated guesses as to what I would (roughly) receive if I were to be on the 24mb package?

What I get right now (on 8mb):

1762288316.png

Ping is a worry atm, thats my best upload result in a while, usually between .38-.4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

At a guess 15-16mbits.

gpf101 wrote: »
    If you log into your eircom router (192.168.1.254) password "broadband1" it will be on the main page. Measured in db. At the end of the day it's down to attenuation. Packages etc make no difference if the line can't support it.

My upload speed is about 500kbit. At the end of the day I'm paying €10 a month extra for probably around 3Mbit quicker speeds. Maybe should have just stuck with the 8Mbit package but I like as much speed as possible!

Not 100% on them as i'm in work at the moment, but I think from what I remember the attenuation was 23/9 last time I checked, could be wrong though.

I'll post the full results when I get home!

edit** sh1t sorry thought your reply was to me.....

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 7168 kbps /512 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 32 dB /17 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 14 dB /23 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.43.168.94

Default Gateway: 159.134.155.6

LAN4: 100M/Full Duplex
    Modem IP Address: 192.168.1.254

Modem Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP: Server

DHCP Range: 192.168.1.1 - 200
    Firewall: Low

Wireless Status: 54M
    SSID: eircom18733093

Channel: 6

Can anyone translate that for me? :P

Any educated guesses as to what I would (roughly) receive if I were to be on the 24mb package?

What I get right now (on 8mb):

1762288316.png

Ping is a worry atm, thats my best upload result in a while, usually between .38-.4

Yep as was said you should sync at around 15-16 Mbit giving you a real life download speed of around 13-14 MBit. Not sure of the pings, I can only go on mine which is <40 to Irish servers.

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Not 100% on them as i'm in work at the moment, but I think from what I remember the attenuation was 23/9 last time I checked, could be wrong though.

I'll post the full results when I get home!

edit** sh1t sorry thought your reply was to me.....

Your line looks decent if the downstream attenuation is 23db. That should sync at around 19Mbit, if you were connecting at 15-16 Mbit before and it was unstable then maybe your line isn't great. I'm not an expert but I'd guess the 24Mbit service available before was an ADSL 2+ service the same as the NGB ADSL 2+ 24 MBit service. The NGB would probably make no difference to the speed capabilities on the line if it was on a similar ADSL2+ product before the NGB.

When I called them they said my line could only take 12mb, which just seems like a waste of money to upgrade.

• Advertisement

gpf101 wrote: »
    Your line looks decent if the downstream attenuation is 23db. That should sync at around 19Mbit, if you were connecting at 15-16 Mbit before and it was unstable then maybe your line isn't great. I'm not an expert but I'd guess the 24Mbit service available before was an ADSL 2+ service the same as the NGB ADSL 2+ 24 MBit service. The NGB would probably make no difference to the speed capabilities on the line if it was on a similar ADSL2+ product before the NGB.

my stats!

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 23 dB /9 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9 dB /19 dB
    WAN IP Address:
    Default Gateway: 159.134.155.9

Might give them a ring later too see what they can do, cause as you said I theoretically should be able to get higher speeds!

1762703869.png

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Anyone who wishes to check what speed their line can support should use this handy online speed calculator
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php Just put in your Downstream Attenuation to check approximate speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

stevenf17 wrote: »
    @Ant

Quick question for you!
    I've been on 24mb for about a year and a half now, and when I originally signed up the router used to connect at around 15-16 meg, but the signal kept dropping out, so I rang support up and he lowered the connection to 12, everything was fine after that and has been since.
    The thing i'm wondering is now that my area has recently been upgraded to NGB and i'm only about 1km from the exchange, is there any possibility that the connection would be more reliable if the 12mb connection limit was brought up again?

Thanks stevenf17,

If you PM your broadband phone number I will take a look at this again for you. It might be possible now to raise the speed again.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Thanks stevenf17,

If you PM your broadband phone number I will take a look at this again for you. It might be possible now to raise the speed again.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Ah its grand.... rang up support last night and they tested the line and said it prob won't be stable if its put any higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

The problem i see stevenF17 is your noise margin is 9dB at 12megs. If you were to move up to 15megs the noise margin would drop to possibly 7db or lower. This would explain why you had problems before when you were on a higher package.
    If it was my line i'd stay on a stable 12meg as for 24meg, not a chance of that working.

Why is the security disabled. Its very possible others within range are using your network.

axle108 wrote: »
    Why is the security disabled. Its very possible others within range are using your network.

Its disabled because I know others aren't. Also had to plug Eircom modem in to get those stats, I use a different modem with a WEP key.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Ordered Eircom broadband, was told that the line was ADSL 1 (last generation broadband) capable and couldn't support speeds over 5 Mbps, so I ordered Broadband Home Plus (up to 3 Mbps). The line stats I observed were:

Speed: 3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 7 dB /4 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 28 dB /12 dB

These stats are very good and theoretically should have no problem with speeds up to 24 Mbps. After months of nagging Eircom, they eventually started saying that my line was ADSL 2 (next generation broadband) capable and could support speeds up to 11 Mbps. To quote the agent when I rang Eircom broadband support, my line stats are "for lack of a better word, awesome". Therefore we got onto the sales people and asked to be put onto the the NGB Regular (up to 8 Mbps) product. Now we're getting speeds of around 7 Mbps (at least 2 Mbps faster than the max speed they originally said our line could support).

Our line stats are now:

Speed: 8160 kbps /512 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 7 dB /4 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 18 dB /20 dB

Given the still very low attenuation on our line, I rang up to enquire about the speeds we'd get if we upgraded to the NGB Ultimate product (up to 24 Mpbs). To my annoyance (and bemusement), the technical agents were now telling a (third) different story. Now they reckoned we could handle no more than 7 Mbps. We get that speed on an 8 Mbps product, have no problem with disconnections, have very low attenuation figures, and high noise margins. Our line is still "awesome", yet they keep changing their minds about what story to tell us when we ring them. To cap it all off, the last technical support agent I spoke to didn't seem to have a clue what she was talking about (I kept mentioning the 7 decibel attenuation figure as a low number is good, but she tried to tell me higher figures were better, and she also kept mistaking decibels for Mbps!).

On a 24 Mbps product I suspect we'd get speeds around 20 Mbps, if not more (based on the 7 dB attenuation), yet Eircom won't entertain the prospect of allowing us onto that product. Well, that's until they change their story again!

The moral of the story is, just because Eircom say they've tested a line and got a poor result, it doesn't mean you should just leave it there. Keep nagging and nagging them if you believe they are understating your line's capabilities. We were originally getting 2.65 Mbps and had a download allowance of 30 GB. Now we're getting 7 Mbps, have an unlimited download allowance, and we're not paying one cent more for it!

We'd like to upgrade to the 24 Mbps product, but we've to wait until Eircom change their minds about our line's capabilities again before doing so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 crysis1977

Its disabled because I know others aren't. Also had to plug Eircom modem in to get those stats, I use a different modem with a WEP key.

How are you sure others aren't, as for WEP there was lots of issues with this encription.

• Advertisement

How are you sure others aren't, as for WEP there was lots of issues with this encription.

The wireless barely makes it to my bedroom on one side of the house and my neighbours on the other side are 80 years old, and they have internet of their own :P Unless somebody is physically sitting on my property with their laptop out, they won't be getting our wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

My downstream attenuation is 37.8. Is there anythin that can be done to improve that. I'm on the ngb 24mb package and never get over 9mb.

Its extremely frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are two simple factors that will impact upon your broadband speed (neither of which you really have any control over)

1) Line length.
    2) The type of metal that makes up the cables running from your house to the exchange.

24 mbit/s is only possible if you are actually living IN the telephone exchange and plugged your router directly into the DSLAM.

Typical speeds are something like 8-10mbit/s if you're at the edge of the exchange's area to about 21mbit/s if you're close by and the copper is good quality.

That's why it's marketed as "up to XX Mbit/s"

DSL technology has its limitations.

To be perfectly honest, if you're getting poor DSL signals and are at the edge of an exchange's footprint, and cable isn't available, you're far better off to look at FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) products as the speeds will never improve unless eircom rebuild the local access network in your area almost entirely.

Speeds on other technologies are more reliable. For example, on cable, the coaxial and fibre infrastructure used to connect to people's homes is actually designed to carry broadband signals (originally TV broadcasts). So, it's far more capable of carrying high speed data than a simple twisted copper pair which is all eircom are using.

DSL is basically just a hacked on technology that was added to the phone network. When you think about it, it's amazing it gets the kids of speeds it does over such a low-spec wiring network. Phone lines aren't even well shielded!

The only thing you can do in your house is make sure that the internal telephone wiring is not introducing extra noise.

To do this, the best approach is to remove all the extension wiring entirely and just use a DECT cordless phone and the DSL modem connected to a splitter at the 1st eircom socket where it comes into your house.

In this day and age, it's relatively unusual to actually need physical extension sockets.

In general, older internal phone wiring was not particularly suited for data. It tended to be straight (non-twisted pair) cable and it can pick up quite a lot of RF interference by acting a bit like an antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I've just been upgraded to the "Up to 24mb Next Generation Broadband"

Here are some results from Speedtest.net and Pingtest.net -

1776591765.png

1776468565.png

56979294.png

How do they compare with my line stats ?

See below -

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)19879 / 765

SN Margin (dB)6.00 / 17.90

Line Attenuation (dB)8.70 / 4.50

Are my results from Speedtest about right ?

Thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yeah, those speeds are pretty much what you'd expect from a maxed-out DSL line with ADSL2+.

However,
    It looks like you're relatively close to the exchange, but you've got a slightly noisy line. The Signal-to-noise (SN) ratio's not great at 6dB on the download. Do you hear crackles if you pick up the phone?
    You might want to check your internal wiring and make sure that DSL filters are correctly fitted to any phones/faxes/sky boxes etc.

The line's quite short though, the attenuation levels are extremely low! Which means you're either very close to the exchange and/or the copper quality is excellent.

Solair wrote: »
    Yeah, those speeds are pretty much what you'd expect from a maxed-out DSL line with ADSL2+.

However,
    It looks like you're relatively close to the exchange, but you've got a slightly noisy line. The Signal-to-noise (SN) ratio's not great at 6dB on the download. Do you hear crackles if you pick up the phone?
    You might want to check your internal wiring and make sure that DSL filters are correctly fitted to any phones/faxes/sky boxes etc.

The line's quite short though, the attenuation levels are extremely low! Which means you're either very close to the exchange and/or the copper quality is excellent.

Hi ,
    I'm only about a two minute walk to the exchange :D and it's a fairly new run of cable to the exchange .

The internal wiring in my house could be better , but I don't get any crackles on the line .

I also have my router connected to an upstairs socket instead of the master socket in the hall , due to practical reasons .

Thanks for the reply .

Yes SNR is very low, unusual your not experiencing drops in connection . I see your speed is very good, just wondering do you switch off the modem regularly.

Yes SNR is very low, unusual your not experiencing drops in connection . I see your speed is very good, just wondering do you switch off the modem regularly.

Hi ,
    I don't switch off or reboot the router regularly .
    It's pretty much left on 24/7 . It's a Motorolla Netopia 2247-42

I ran a test earlier and set vuze to download a few well seeded torrent files at the same time and got a total speed of 1.9MB /s (according to the vuze speed counter)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SNR Margin generally shows around 6db for ADSL2+ irrespective of line speed, it will negotiate as high a speed as possible until the SNR hits 6db after which it will not go any lower (SNR Margin) or higher (Speed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

I have next generation broadband for 24 mb and when i was living in Kilkenny my router said i had 17 mb and now i moved to Clonmel and it says i have 11 mb and never gets higher than that. I think there is a problem with the line but i can't get a tech to come and check it out. What do you think I should do ?

Advertisement