Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16amp plug

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Got a welder from eBay. It has a 2 pin 16 amp plug on it.

Can I get a 16 amp fuse for a standard 3pin plug or do I need to fit those blue out door 3 pin round plug and socket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Forget about what plug is on it, What ratting is the welder??

The smaller of the blue plugs is 16A, but you'll need to have the scoket for it correctly wired in.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Forget about what plug is on it, What ratting is the welder??

The smaller of the blue plugs is 16A, but you'll need to have the scoket for it correctly wired in.

What you mean by ratting? What should I be looking for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You might have to put in a 16 amp socket for it alright, but not certainly.
    In answer to your question asking can you gat a 16 amp fuse for a 13 amp plug top, no would be the answer to that.

But as said, get the ratings off the welder, it should have a rating plate showing primary current, and secondary current on it, or something to that affect.

Ok it says 230v-50/60hz

10a-160a

l1max 26a

Which one of those figures is what I'm looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It looks like single phase 26A.

You'll need the larger blue plug and socket for that...

• Advertisement

It looks like single phase 26A.

You'll need the larger blue plug and socket for that...

I see those blue socket s on the end of 110 v leads, can you get them to fit on a wall where a standard socket was?

Maybe you could take a photo of the rating plate up close. Or a link to the actual welder.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Maybe you could take a photo of the rating plate up close. Or a link to the actual welder.

Agroverd greencut arc160 inverter welder. Not much info about on eBay page. There home page is in Spanish.

Can't copy link I'm on iPhone.

Agroverd greencut arc160 inverter welder. Not much info about on eBay page. There home page is in Spanish.

Can't copy link I'm on iPhone.

It should be ok with the 16 amp blue plug alright. You will have to put in a blue socket for it. A 15 amp round pin plug and socket setup would probably be ok as well.

Where are you going to use it, in a shed/workshop?

It should be ok with the 16 amp blue plug alright. You will have to put in a blue socket for it. A 15 amp round pin plug and socket setup would probably be ok as well.

Where are you going to use it, in a shed/workshop?

I'm going to have to remove the standard socket I have and put in one of those blue ones?

I Have a double standard socket in my garage, there is heavy cable (one used for electric showers) going to that socket (for submersible pump) so I'll connect the socket up there.

Not sure where I can plug pump in if I put in one of those blue sockets ?

• Advertisement

I'm going to have to remove the standard socket I have and put in one of those blue ones?

I Have a double standard socket in my garage, there is heavy cable (one used for electric showers) going to that socket (for submersible pump) so I'll connect the socket up there.

You could loop from the 13 amp one into the blue one, or if the fuseboard is above in the garage, run a new circuit from it. An electricians job to do it properly really.

It would be far better on its own circuit really.

Sockets should have an RCD, and arc welders are good for tripping the MCB`s for the sockets when an arc is actually struck, or sometimes when they are just switched on. It will probably need a 20 amp C type MCB powering it to stop the nuisance tripping. Normal MCBs used in houses would be B type.

Its never as easy as it seems with this electrical stuff.

You could loop from the 13 amp one into the blue one, or if the fuseboard is above in the garage, run a new circuit from it. An electricians job to do it properly really.

It would be far better on its own circuit really.

Sockets should have an RCD, and arc welders are good for tripping the MCB`s for the sockets when an arc is actually struck, or sometimes when they are just switched on. It will probably need a 20 amp C type MCB powering it to stop the nuisance tripping. Normal MCBs used in houses would be B type.

Its never as easy as it seems with this electrical stuff.

Had a look at the fuseboard, 20 b is for the pump.
    Need to change that to 20 c?

Yes if you are going to supply the welder from there, but you could try it with the type b and see how that works. If its just the pump supplied from that, you can loop the blue socket from that socket. Put it right beside it if its a surface box, and loop with a but of 2.5 twin and earth.

If the type b breaker trips every time you try to use the welder, change it to a 20A type c.

Yes if you are going to supply the welder from there, but you could try it with the type b and see how that works. If its just the pump supplied from that, you can loop the blue socket from that socket. Put it right beside it if its a surface box, and loop with a but of 2.5 twin and earth.

If the type b breaker trips every time you try to use the welder, change it to a 20A type c.

The wire going there only supplys the pUmp, pump doesn't come on for long, it 6 square wire( I think same wire that goes to electric shower)
    I can loop frOm standard socket to 16a socket so, place it beside it ?

The wire going there only supplys the pUmp, pump doesn't come on for long, it 6 square wire( I think same wire that goes to electric shower)

Yes, or if i was doing it, id probably put the blue socket connected in place of the existing one, and loop out of the blue one to the newly placed original socket.

The terminals may be bigger in the existing socket though, but it might be tight to fit in the 6 sq and 2.5 into either sockets terminals. Whichever socket is connected where original is now, will have both cables into it.

Yes, or if i was doing it, id probably put the blue socket connected in place of the existing one, and loop out of the blue one to the newly placed original socket.

The terminals may be bigger in the existing socket though, but it might be tight to fit in the 6 sq and 2.5 into either sockets terminals. Whichever socket is connected where original is now, will have both cables into it.

That's what I'll do, thanks for your help

Advertisement