Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

bluewolf wrote: »
    Muffin, I asked because if you are on welfare you can apply for rent supplement/rent allowance? have you enquired about it?
    I did look into applying for R.A last year, but was told that I wouldn't get it because I am not homeless or about to be made homeless.

To get rent allowance you have to be renting for six months privately and then you can apply for it if you have an income of €150* or less.

*I think the figure is €150, although I could be wrong on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm heading to dublin tomorrow : )

I had a lovely omlette for dinner : )
    I'm heading to cork tomorrow so :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Oh, Muffin, I feel your pain. *hug* I'm in the same situation regarded finances when it comes to moving out- no job, limited welfare means, a lack of jobs or skills and an unwillingness to work for free.
    Hope for the best and expect the worst as I always say.

In other news, I will be turning the ripe old age of 24 on Sunday. So far, I'm unaware of any plans to celebrate but I'm thinking I might try and go to The George for Kareoke on Saturday night if there's nothing going on.

Y'all are very welcome to say hello if I do make it out. :)

For now, though, I'm going to go crack open my one Easter egg. Toddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

That's a crappy situation Muffin, I'm sure there's plenty of us here willing to listen if you need to talk about anything.

I just saw the weather forecast for the week, looks like I'll be getting out my winter coat again :eek: , it's April ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Heading to limerick tomorrow :(. Daughter has a diabetic appointment at 9.30 which means we won't be out till after 12 and that's if they find her file and also if her blood sugars gave improved, they were right bad the last time... Not looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiera wrote: »

Damn,what a coincidence,I'm going to dub and your going to cork :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Kiera wrote: »

Damn,what a coincidence,I'm going to dub and your going to cork :-P
    I know, what are the chances? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

sometimes im astonished at how fúcking idiotic i truly am.....

i left my usb with my thesis on it which is is due this week..at home

thank God ive backed them up on emails and my hard drive!!

im an actual idiot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

god, I've just had an attack of allergies or something, eyes watering, runny nose and sneezing like hell... I hope I don't get a cold or something. but omg, that was awful!

My mother has the TV on behind me and it is blaring, I'm here with a pounding headache with my earphones in playing music at a low volume.

Going to make some bread now, baking always makes me feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Muffin I hope you feel better soon. I admire your composure, I would have flipped by now if I was you. Nobody deserves to be treated like that, especially not by family. You should deprive them of your culinary masterpieces in retaliation :p

grindelwald, I hope your daughters' appointment goes alright :)

My housemate is wandering around singing Thank You For The Music. Interesting child. Also, I has one of these...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsQaX_R-dQzuLBz-MNqQiGeGBA7is6DnuiuFNVtIW1dK568SUxPg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Susie_Q wrote: »
    My first Easter without a chocolate egg - wah! I just skyped my amazing mother who said she bought me an egg and will hide it in the attic until I'm back in Ireland in August - JOY!

Also I love the thought of eating an Easter egg in August, think of the jealousy! :)

This sounds awesome!

Reminds me of the time that me and my best friend Gary went into Tesco at Halloween a few years ago, and bought several Halloween Bracks, and stuck them in my mum's freezer. We then defrosted them and ate them around six months later, and they tasted a million times better than they ever did at Halloween! We even had a special un-Halloween Brack party, just to share them with everyone. :o

Mmmm I have such a craving for toasty hot buttery Brack right now ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Phone interview tomorrow evening. :D

Have never done phone interview before.

Don't know how to approach phone interview. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Phone interview tomorrow evening. :D

Have never done phone interview before.

Don't know how to approach phone interview. :confused:

^ Good luck :)

Worst thing about 4 day weekends? Going back to work after them. Really wish I had tomorrow off too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The clue is: It's Kiera. :p

You should get one of those USB chargeable ones, just make sure not to leave it stuck in the side of your laptop when your brother comes over.

Or maybe leave it plugged in and then he might not take the laptop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not working and I'm not in education.

I've my name down for two Fas courses, so hopefully I'll get a place on one of them, preferably the ten week course.

Looking for jobs, but there is nothing in my town (Mullingar).

Now that I have my name down for two courses, I'd need a permanent job, even if it was just a few hours a week, because if I got a job for say a few weeks or months, and things still hadn't improved I would have to wait six or nine months before being able to apply for another Fás course.

If I get the ten week course, I could then go on and do further computer courses with them and hopefully within a year or two, go to a college liek A.I.T or D.I.T and do computers or something.

I've tried telling them how the comments make me feel, but they either listen and ignore or don't listen.

My mother knows I suffer from depression, my granny doesn't and I don't want her to know, because she doesn't really understand it.

As well as that, some other family members don't know about my depression and I don't want them knowing either.

+1

Thanks for listening guys, I've no one else really to talk about it, can't talk to my family cause they'll go back to mam and blab everything I say and it will cause more trouble.

I remember one time I spoke to one of my aunties about my mother, she went back and told my mother and it caused a row between my mother and granny and they didn't speak for almost three months.

I can (and do) talk to my boyfriend, but there is only so much he can listen to, he has his own issues and it's not fair for me to dump all my problems on him all the time.

if you're not working or in education why not go on the dole and apply for rent allowance? house share, move out, get away from toxic people.

krudler wrote: »
    if you're not working or in education why not go on the dole and apply for rent allowance? house share, move out, get away from toxic people.
    I am on Social Welfare, but still won't get rent allowance or rent supplement because I live at home and I am not homeless and not about to be made homeless.

I posted this earlier
    I did look into applying for R.A last year, but was told that I wouldn't get it because I am not homeless or about to be made homeless.

To get rent allowance you have to be renting for six months privately and then you can apply for it if you have an income of €150* or less.

*I think the figure is €150, although I could be wrong on that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78036697&postcount=9452

I would need to be renting, privately, for a minimum of six months before they'd look at an application from me.

If I was being physically abused/assaulted, then I might have a chance, but because I'm not, I don't have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

You ok?

Yeah I'm ok, he just pushed me into talking about something I *don't* talk about....so annoyed at myself for getting so upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Oh dear lord I'm 30, eek! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

careymary wrote: »

On the plus side it's your birthday!

Happy birthday! :D

• Advertisement

Happy Birthday, hope you have a fab day :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

This is going to sound incredibly ungrateful and selfish but I just need to write this somewhere before I start having a panic attack...

One of my friends is getting married this summer (at 23, madness!) and asked me to be a bridesmaid, which was an absolutely amazing thing to be asked to do and was totally unexpected. We've known each other for four years with our friendship surviving the distance of the atlantic ocean and having only seen each other a couple of times since she moved home after six months of living here. This is a big deal and she is a really good friend of mine!

But here's the problem, I hadn't realised that she was expecting bridesmaids to pay for their own dresses. Shoes I could handle, flights I'm willing to pay for because I'd be going anyway but I hadn't counted on an extra €100/€150 on the dress she's chosen and now I'm worried what else I might have to pay for. I am earning money this year (thankfully!) but I'm trying to save as much as I can so I can afford college next year and I'm really starting to panic over how much this could all cost me. I'm nowhere near loaded and I have a huge mental issue with money. It has caused many a panic attack in the past. I freak out, I'm in tears now just because of this.

Then again, there's nothing I can do. I will pay and I will be the best bridesmaid that I can be, I just needed to let that out tbh.

And because all of the above I also feel completely horrible about feeling this way. As if I'm betraying my friend.

/selfish bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

This is going to sound incredibly ungrateful and selfish but I just need to write this somewhere before I start having a panic attack...

One of my friends is getting married this summer (at 23, madness!) and asked me to be a bridesmaid, which was an absolutely amazing thing to be asked to do and was totally unexpected. We've known each other for four years with our friendship surviving the distance of the atlantic ocean and having only seen each other a couple of times since she moved home after six months of living here. This is a big deal and she is a really good friend of mine!

But here's the problem, I hadn't realised that she was expecting bridesmaids to pay for their own dresses. Shoes I could handle, flights I'm willing to pay for because I'd be going anyway but I hadn't counted on an extra €100/€150 on the dress she's chosen and now I'm worried what else I might have to pay for. I am earning money this year (thankfully!) but I'm trying to save as much as I can so I can afford college next year and I'm really starting to panic over how much this could all cost me. I'm nowhere near loaded and I have a huge mental issue with money. It has caused many a panic attack in the past. I freak out, I'm in tears now just because of this.

Then again, there's nothing I can do. I will pay and I will be the best bridesmaid that I can be, I just needed to let that out tbh.

/selfish bitch

Chill... there's nothing selfish about that post. Your friend probably has no idea of the stress and worry she's putting you under. Perhaps a quiet word, tell her you're trying to budget and could you give you an idea of what expenses there will be. Once she lets you know, if they exceed what you can afford, just tell her. No doubt she will understand and you can figure something out.

Don't worry yourself sick over this. A little honesty and communication goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've never been involved in a wedding as a member of the bridal party but I thought it was pretty standard for the bride to buy the bridesmaids' dresses? As a kind of thank you? On the understanding that they'd pay for their own transport and accom and chip in for the hen night.

Oh, and you're not selfish MCR. Just pragmatic. I'm sure she'd hate to think you were stressed or upset about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Yep, usually the bride pays for the bridesmaid dresses - that also includes shoes, accessories, hair and makeup. Don't be afraid to talk to her about it, esp since you're also expected to pay for flights, accommodation, food etc. You shouldn't go broke for the privilege of being a bridesmaid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Also, just back in the office today after 5 nights at a lovely hotel in a relaxed beach town. So hard to come back to work! I don't even have an Easter egg to munch on!

bride pays for dresses & often accommodation

tell her to cough up or you're wearing your own dress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I take it that your friend is in the US, over there it's standard for the bridesmaids to pay for their dresses, unlike here. Having said that, I'm sure if you told her your worries you could work something out. She probably has no idea how stressed you are over this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Me too!! Since Sunday:D You know, it's not too bad. I was dreading it but I think I kinda like it;)

I'm getting married next year and I'll be paying for my bridesmaids dress/shoes/accessories etc. I wouldn't have it any other way, I just thought it was the norm to do that:confused:

• Advertisement

Happy birthday!

^It is the norm here, but not necessarily in other countries.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, in America the bridesmaids pay for their own dresses. I know this first hand as my Irish friend decided to adopt the tradition when she married an American. She picked a stupidly expensive dress too, and it wasn't nice.

Lovely day yesterday spent in pyjamas.

The inlaws came over with a box of easter eggs (literally 8 full sized eggs in there) for the child. Dunno what I'm going to do with them.

Then got dressed and went to the Galway Food Festival Quiz, came second after leading all the way to round 9. Good fun though, and I managed to palm easter egg off on unsuspecting adjacent teams.

ETA: Best team name was "Like a Bap out of Hell"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Happy Birthday to Careymary and be-lated to Lucyfur! :)

DasKitty I made choc chip cookies yesterday with Ella's massive leftover easter bunny. No way I was having another day of chocolate sugar induced meltdowns!!

i could do with some sugar right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

Hey,hello strangers!!

Haven't been here in a while. I'm smiling as I'm currently in Melbourne spending time with my delightful nieces:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Christ on a bike...it doesn't rain but it pours!

I'm not sure you all remember but last January I went for a college course and didn't get it and this meant I was stuck in my crappy job, and then last week I got a new job! Well didn't I only get an e-mail the other day to say that I have been called to interview for my course in a different college and country! I'm absolutely thrilled.

On the downside...only a week left with the boy until he moves away! It's going to be bloody hard, the longest we've gone without seeing each other in the last year was 1 week, now it's going to be weeks and weeks on end! Oh well, if it's meant to last it will last :)

• Advertisement

I know Acoshla said this before but wedding forums are scary, scary places... Some mentalist asserting that she wouldn't attend a friend's wedding if she didn't like the invitations, she must be a great laugh at parties

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Dolorous wrote: »
    I know Acoshla said this before but wedding forums are scary, scary places... Some mentalist asserting that she wouldn't attend a friend's wedding if she didn't like the invitations, she must be a great laugh at parties

Ah stop! What are people like? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!

I have avoided all wedding forums at all costs :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Back from limerick, my daughters appointment went ok, bloods down by .6. No great but better. She grew 2cm and put on 4kg since her last appointment in January. She is just 1 inch smaller than me now. :eek:

They are happy with the weight gain and said her insulin control is getting better, you can't gain weight if you don't take enough insulin.

Would the weather ever make up its mind...

Oh and happy birthday guys.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

a girl I work with has a sideline in wedding stuff outside of work and she has some horror stories from brides, what is it about weddings that turns normally sane people crazy? freaking out over the most minute details that nobody will remember nor care about. one woman lost the plot because the font she wanted on her invitations wouldnt match the one used on the guest table names at the reception. honestly who even noticed that kind of stuff? people just want to be fed and drink at receptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Got my final History assignment of the year grade this morning - a First, booya!

It also gives me an overall First for my continuous assessment mark for the year. Couldn't be happier if I was twins!

a girl I work with has a sideline in wedding stuff outside of work and she has some horror stories from brides, what is it about weddings that turns normally sane people crazy? freaking out over the most minute details that nobody will remember nor care about. one woman lost the plot because the font she wanted on her invitations wouldnt match the one used on the guest table names at the reception. honestly who even noticed that kind of stuff? people just want to be fed and drink at receptions.

B-but the chair covers! Everyone loves chair covers right?!

Then again we're planning on having lots of retro gamer references in ours so probably the wrong person to ask :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Happy Birthday Careymary and Lucyfur :)

I was chatted up by a 30yo guy at the weekend, I'm only 20... he thought I was 25 :eek: I should get Botox or something :rolleyes:

EmilyO wrote: »
    I was chatted up by a 30yo guy at the weekend

You saying 30 is old? *narrows eyes*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I should be doing work, but I'm sitting in the recliner watching Loose Women and not out of my PJs -gonna regret this later on!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

one woman lost the plot because the font she wanted on her invitations wouldnt match the one used on the guest table names at the reception. honestly who even noticed that kind of stuff?

Fonts?

Yeah, I always notice fonts. Usually if they're garish or Comic Sans though. But I'm weird like that. :pac:

Funniest thing I remember from my time in the trenches was the girl who almost called off her wedding because the groom wasn't concerned enough about the florist not being able to get the exact shade of cream roses she had wanted. It took all I had not to respond with: Wah, wah, wah.

Those forums are comedy gold. Every other thread went something like this:

Bride: ZOMG, my fcuking *bitch* of a bridesmaid is after getting pregnant and will be FAT in the photos. I'm thinking of sacking her, am I wrong here???

Lone voice of reason: Yes, actually. You're completely overreacting.

Bride: Who the fcuk asked you anyway???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Fonts?

Yeah, I always notice fonts. Usually if they're garish or Comic Sans though. But I'm weird like that. :pac:

Funniest thing I remember from my time in the trenches was the girl who almost called off her wedding because the groom wasn't concerned enough about the florist not being able to get the exact shade of cream roses she had wanted. It took all I had not to respond with: Wah, wah, wah.

If you think that the brides are bad, the mother of the brides are worse! I worked in a bridal shop and they were the ones picking out every little detail and if the mother in law was there too the bride would be in her dress crying her eyes out because the two mothers were being so horrible. It happened on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I want 2 euro B&J ice cream but Dunnes Stores is so far away. :( Crampy McCramperson here. :( I couldn't possibly go to the gym like this and ice cream is definitely the only cure! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

I must be the oddest bride i couldnt care less about alot of the stuff people think i should care about ha ha my bridesmaid told me she would get hair extensions if i wanted her to !!! WHAT ?! I dont get bridezillas !!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement