Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Those forums are comedy gold. Every other thread went something like this:

Bride: ZOMG, my fcuking *bitch* of a bridesmaid is after getting pregnant and will be FAT in the photos. I'm thinking of sacking her, am I wrong here???

Lone voice of reason: Yes, actually. You're completely overreacting.

Bride: Who the fcuk asked you anyway???

those same people would probably complain if the bridesmaids looked amazing and stole her thunder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

My driving test is tomorrow!!! :eek:

I have absolutely no clue how it'll go so I'm just going to give it my best shot and see. Funnily enough, this attitude has really calmed my nerves and I'm more giddy now than anything else. :rolleyes: :D

I have absolutely no clue how it'll go so I'm just going to give it my best shot and see. Funnily enough, this attitude has really calmed my nerves and I'm more giddy now than anything else. :rolleyes: :D

best of luck, do they still do that thing where they make you reverse around a corner? the one driving manuever I've literally never done once since I had to do it in my test over 10 years ago, I dont understand why you'd ever do it, just find someplace to turn and do it safely, not reverse out into traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

krudler wrote: »
    best of luck, do they still do that thing where they make you reverse around a corner? the one driving manuever I've literally never done once since I had to do it in my test over 10 years ago, I dont understand why you'd ever do it, just find someplace to turn and do it safely, not reverse out into traffic.

Thanks! Yeah you still have to do that, it's the most unsafe move ever :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Aye, they still do that. Hoping to do my test in the summer. Here's the marking sheet. Good luck, TeletextPear.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Good luck T Pear! Just relax and do your best! I gashed my finger on the door going into the test centre, tester and I had no plasters so had to wrap a many old tissue round finger for duration of test. For some reason though, it helped take my mind off the test and I flew it. And I was the most nervous testee EVER. So, best of luck, and maybe pack a few plasters and tissues, just in case ?!:confused::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

^manky not many :rolleyes:

Thanks! Yeah you still have to do that, it's the most unsafe move ever :confused:

its makes NO sense, if a garda drove past as you were doing it they'd probably pull you on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Black Oil wrote: »
    Aye, they still do that. Hoping to do my test in the summer. Here's the marking sheet. Good luck, TeletextPear.

This may seem like a stupid question but do they use the same marking sheet for all vehicles? Would that marking sheet be relevant for a motorbike test lets say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

This may seem like a stupid question but do they use the same marking sheet for all vehicles? Would that marking sheet be relevant for a motorbike test lets say?

They have a motorcycle bit at the bottom of the marking sheet, so I guess it is used

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It has a heading for motorbikes, I'm not sure how much of the rest applies for a bike test, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Orla K wrote: »
    They have a motorcycle bit at the bottom of the marking sheet, so I guess it is used

I didn't scroll all the way down :rolleyes: Thanks for that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I've done it a few times, mainly in cul de sacs or estates. I do it at least once a week...

I failed the first test it was on the 3rd of January 2007 and my baby's due date, i guessed he would be early, he came on the 29th and i sat my test on the 3rd. I knew i would fail as i was only driving a couple of months (i got my licence years before for ID purposes).

I re -sat the test in April 2008 and passed, talked my way through it, vocally made note i was a little wide doing the reversing turn (my 3rd time ever doing it), vocally made note of speed limits, clear roundabouts, commenting about traffic and their indicators at round abouts, stop signs and even said 'sorry im going a bit fast im doing 53 in a 50 zone' and i eased off the accelerator. She said she ' you passed you talked your way through it'.

I never had any lessons, and i didnt know the route, i also had never driven on some of the roads she took me on, and i told her too....

Most people remain silent during their test bet she has never met anyone as vocal as me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My first test I had a fcuking deaf-mute of a tester and he made me unbelievably nervous. Second time I had a guy who was absolutely dying of a hangover and we both yapped non-stop through the whole thing. Passed that time with only two marks on the whole sheet :D

Forgot to say good luck tomorrow teletextpear!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

tatumkelly wrote: »
    This is going to sound incredibly ungrateful and selfish but I just need to write this somewhere before I start having a panic attack...

One of my friends is getting married this summer (at 23, madness!) and asked me to be a bridesmaid, which was an absolutely amazing thing to be asked to do and was totally unexpected. We've known each other for four years with our friendship surviving the distance of the atlantic ocean and having only seen each other a couple of times since she moved home after six months of living here. This is a big deal and she is a really good friend of mine!

But here's the problem, I hadn't realised that she was expecting bridesmaids to pay for their own dresses. Shoes I could handle, flights I'm willing to pay for because I'd be going anyway but I hadn't counted on an extra €100/€150 on the dress she's chosen and now I'm worried what else I might have to pay for. I am earning money this year (thankfully!) but I'm trying to save as much as I can so I can afford college next year and I'm really starting to panic over how much this could all cost me. I'm nowhere near loaded and I have a huge mental issue with money. It has caused many a panic attack in the past. I freak out, I'm in tears now just because of this.

Then again, there's nothing I can do. I will pay and I will be the best bridesmaid that I can be, I just needed to let that out tbh.

/selfish bitch

Chill... there's nothing selfish about that post. Your friend probably has no idea of the stress and worry she's putting you under. Perhaps a quiet word, tell her you're trying to budget and could you give you an idea of what expenses there will be. Once she lets you know, if they exceed what you can afford, just tell her. No doubt she will understand and you can figure something out.

Don't worry yourself sick over this. A little honesty and communication goes a long way.

Thanks all for the responses (am on my phone so can't quote everyone). Yea she is American, I hadn't realised that bridesmaids pay for their own dresses there.

I might see how things go and talk to her. I do know that part of this is my own mental issue about money so I don't want to make a fuss over nothing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Good grief no! It's a vital manoeuvre. You do it every time you reverse into a parking space or your driveway. It's so much safer reversing in and driving out than the other way around.

Actually, come to think of it, you do it every time you (unsafely) reverse out of a parking space...

you do reverse into the driveway/parking space don't you?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Good luck tomorrow Teletextpear! I passed my driving test on my third attempt which was, incidentally, my due date!

First time I had this guy who was an absolute ass. We were up in the test centre and I stood up in the waiting room when he called me, took one look at me all the way up and down *shock horror, a pregnant 18 year old!* kind of tutted and then said 'I suppose you had better come this way'. He was still giving me x's when we got back to the office after the test had finished and we were sitting down! I was going to appeal it but it would have taken too long and I needed to get my test so I just reapplied asap.

Second time I had an absolute gent, lovely guy, chatty asked if I was nervous, not to worry about it etc. Test was going perfect until it came to the bloody reversing around a corner. I did it fine but then as I was reversing back to park some idiot decided he was going to pull out of hos drive almost on top of me. I pulled forward to let him out and that's what I failed on :/

Third time I had the same asshat they gave me the first time. We were walking to the car and he said 'you look very familiar, have I met you before?'. I said 'yeah- you had the pleasure of failing me back in September, thanks for that by the way!' and a big smile, that shut the ****er up. Anyway passed with only 2 grade 1 marks so that was that done.

Just woke up from a nap since half 11 with the little lady. It was fcuking awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

waiting on my thesis moderator to send me chapter one but i have it all pieced together!!!

IM NEARLY DONE!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

PRAISE BE TO JESUS!!!!!! :D

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Good grief no! It's a vital manoeuvre. You do it every time you reverse into a parking space or your driveway. It's so much safer reversing in and driving out than the other way around.

Actually, come to think of it, you do it every time you (unsafely) reverse out of a parking space...

90% of the time i reverse into a parking spot, I never reverse into my drive way, unless i have shopping in the car and its raining...

Its way easier to reverse park :D even in my 7 seater.... I passed my test in that car :D

• Advertisement

Lola92 wrote: »

Third time I had the same asshat they gave me the first time. We were walking to the car and he said 'you look very familiar, have I met you before?'. I said 'yeah- you had the pleasure of failing me back in September, thanks for that by the way!' and a big smile, that shut the ****er up. Anyway passed with only 2 grade 1 marks so that was that done.

Just woke up from a nap since half 11 with the little lady. It was fcuking awesome.

Think i had about 5 marks on the page, cant remember i was too happy at passing to notice, went staight in a applied for my Full Licence :D

Mid day naps:D, i used to do that with my eldest when she was a baby... didnt have time when my other 2 came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Well the white bread I made isn't nice at all IMO. Granny loved it. Mam hasn't tasted it yet, but last night gave me great praise for the last time I made it, apparently if she tried it, it would have ended up in the bin. Don't know what changed her behaviour :confused:

Going to make chicken and vegetable soup today hopefully :D

Going to the cinema tomorrow with my cousins girlfriend and their three kids, going to see The Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists, kisd are going to be so excited. The youngest is three today, can't believe it. He's as cute as button, well, they all are, love them to bits, even if they drive me bonkers sometimes :D :pac:

So hungry now, hope mam comes home soon with the ham, have such a craving for a roll with red chedder cheese, ham and tayto crisps :D

Trying to persuade Mr. Muffin to come to see the Titanic with me this Friday, hopefully he will come :)

It's raining here, yet it's sunny and cold, wish it was sunny and warm again. My dad and his family are abroad and it's currently 32°C there now, and it's the evening time too. :)

Hope everyone here is having a lovely day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

How have you never had to reverse around a corner? It's perfectly safe, as long as you do it right (i.e. not into traffic!)

I don't see how it's unsafe! Unless of course if you do it from a minor road to a major road, which is illegal.

Plus, it's obviously good to be able to use the technique, as it's the exact same as reversing into a parking space!

cdaly_ wrote: »

depends on the space tbh, theres a difference between reversing in a car park where you can clearly see cars and expect it and reversing around a street corner into oncoming traffic, thats madness, just pull in and do a u turn where you can see both directions.

depends on the space tbh, theres a difference between reversing in a car park where you can clearly see cars and expect it and reversing around a street corner into oncoming traffic, thats madness, just pull in and do a u turn where you can see both directions.

There is a time and place for that maneuver, that's why in the test it is done in an estate or cul de sac.

Some times you cant do a U-Turn, road markings may have a double or single continuous white line, also some roads are too narrow for a u-turn, these of course would be country roads...

Off to kickboxing tonight :D loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I wish this day would just hurry up and end.

How have you never had to reverse around a corner? It's perfectly safe, as long as you do it right (i.e. not into traffic!)

I don't see how it's unsafe! Unless of course if you do it from a minor road to a major road, which is illegal.

Plus, it's obviously good to be able to use the technique, as it's the exact same as reversing into a parking space!

thats how the guy who did my test made me do it, from an estate side road onto a main one, was ridiculous. obviously you can reverse safely in car parks and quiet streets, I mean doing it on a busy road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I wish this day would just hurry up and end.

+1 and I would like to add I wish this week would end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Just been called to do Night Duty tonight. Happy cause I need the money, sad cause my sciatica is still acting up and it's gonna be a painful night :/

thats how the guy who did my test made me do it, from an estate side road onto a main one, was ridiculous. obviously you can reverse safely in car parks and quiet streets, I mean doing it on a busy road.

he shouldnt have, that's illegal

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »

I know, I failed that test because I didnt use my handbrake at each point during the 3 point turn, which itself is stupid, he had me out for nearly 40 minutes I think he just neededto fail someone and wanted to make me do something he could fail me on, passed no problem the second time with a different tester.

I know, I failed that test because I didnt use my handbrake at each point during the 3 point turn, which itself is stupid, he had me out for nearly 40 minutes I think he just neededto fail someone and wanted to make me do something he could fail me on, passed no problem the second time with a different tester.

:eek: Never used the handbrake once during my turn about, think I did it in 4 could have done it in 3 in the small car but not the big car.

I never got any driving lessons either I took 4 before I took my first test, didn't take any before my second...

Do you have to use your handbrake during the turnabout. I failed my first test due to coasting.... Got 5 ticks on that alone :eek:

:eek: Never used the handbrake once during my turn about, think I did it in 4 could have done it in 3 in the small car but not the big car.

I know I couldnt believe it, eevn my instructor was like "eh wtf?" when I told him, thats just unnecessary, doing a 3 point should be done as safely and quickly as possible not stopping to put on the handbrake for a second. that tester was just a twat.

I know I couldnt believe it, eevn my instructor was like "eh wtf?" when I told him, thats just unnecessary, doing a 3 point should be done as safely and quickly as possible not stopping to put on the handbrake for a second. that tester was just a twat.

Sounds like you got him on a bad day.... I though a turnabout should flow instead of stopping starting.... Least you didn't get him the second time... I bet some of the testers enjoy the power they have :/

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Passed my driving test first time :D

Genuinely thought I failed though my reverse around the corner was abysmal. I still couldn't do them properly until about 6 months after my test :o I messed up my hill start too but I think my tester knew it was just because of nerves because he let me do it again and it was slightly better.

I also didn't have to do the under the bonnet check; when I was leaving the test centre after the theory questions the tester told me to pop the bonnet and he would follow me out.. but just then it started lashing rain so he abandoned it :D I was lucky.

I think that feckin choc has got me into bad habits again sigh. Dying for some b&j! Time to cut out the sugary junk til i re adapt
    Headache from it and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

In a lab until 6... Absolutly knackered and I have to go to the pub tonight because my friend is home from london.

Have an obscene amount of work to do...vomit!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

My mobile rang as I was doing my reverse around the corner for my driving test. I had forgotten to turn the thing off and had thrown it in the back seat of the car in my handbag. The tester was really nice and even asked me if I wanted to park up and check my phone incase the call was important. I said no and continued and went on to pass my test. :)

However I was incredibly lucky not to have checked my phone, as it was my aunt ringing to tell me that my grandaunt who I adored had just passed away. My boyfriend at the time, had been waiting for me at the test centre in his own car, and when I came out I was all hyper and wanting to call everyone to tell them I had passed. He took my phone told me that I didnt want to get points on my license on my first day and told me I would get my phone back when I get home. In my hyperness I didnt argue and drove home phone-less. He had already got a call form my aunt and knew I never would have been able to drive home after hearing the news so he waited until I had got home safely to tell me.

I will never ever forget my reverse around the corner for my test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wish someone would just make dinner for me!

*trudges to the kitchen*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Chicken Thai green curry tonight. Nyom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Dolorous wrote: »
    I know Acoshla said this before but wedding forums are scary, scary places... Some mentalist asserting that she wouldn't attend a friend's wedding if she didn't like the invitations, she must be a great laugh at parties

If I ever get married I am so not going on those forums! I'm the type of person that doesn't worry about what other people think about those kinda things. It'll be our day so who gives a f**k about other people really. If it's what the bride and groom want it doesn't matter about anyone else.

Best of Luck!

Happy birthday to careymary and Lucyfur. :D

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

awec wrote: »
    The best type of curry! :)

Yup it's defo my fav :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

I did my driving test 3 times !!! The first tester was sooo rude and would point in the direction he wanted me to go by waving his hand in front of my face !!!

The 3rd time the tester yapped the whole way thru ... Passed me and asked me for a hug .... Bleugh ...

We're nearly on V5 lads!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

awec wrote: »
    The best type of curry! :)

Red > Massaman > Green :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I think that feckin choc has got me into bad habits again sigh. Dying for some b&j! Time to cut out the sugary junk til i re adapt
    Headache from it and all
    I read that as "dying for a BJ" :o

Making soup now, can't wait until it is cooked, hope it is nice :)

I read that as "dying for a BJ" :o
    Glad I'm not the only one who read it as that :cool::pac:

Just looked at the number of replies and I'm in second place, 14 posts behind Acoshla.. Lol. :cool:

Not looking forward to cycling home this evening. Did something to my back last week, it's been quite sore all day, and on the way in to work this morning it took me 3 attempts to get off my bike when I got to the office... must have looked pretty silly to anyone watching :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement