Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Wireless Cam

• 08-02-2012 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

A neighbour gave me a wireless cctv camera to try out in the calving shed. Its approx 85 meters from house. The leaflet says it has a 100 mtr range.

There is only 2 trees blocking the line of sight but still the footage is very bad. You cant see anything most of the time and its just grey fuzziness.

Why is this, the leaflet said it would even allow for an external wall?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Can you try it out at much shorter range eliminating the trees? Say a garage or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I had the same problem. 100 metres clear line of sight.

I had to put a signal sender in the middle... Camera transmits signal to the camera reciever.. reciver is connected with a scart lead to the TV signal sender,, Tv Signal sender recives image and is connected to the telly.

Bit of messing with the channels on the camera and TV signal senders, but it works grand. They are under a bucket on a wall for three years now! Oh yeah, need to bring power out also.

Other thing I did was to buy a cheap 2.4 ghz ariel with the correct connecter and I put the camera ariel outdside the shed. I don't know if you can do that.

Job done. This allowed me to go around the line of sight obstructions and stay in bed a night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

Figerty wrote: »

I had to put a signal sender in the middle... Camera transmits signal to the camera reciever.. reciver is connected with a scart lead to the TV signal sender,, Tv Signal sender recives image and is connected to the telly.

Bit of messing with the channels on the camera and TV signal senders, but it works grand. They are under a bucket on a wall for three years now! Oh yeah, need to bring power out also.

Other thing I did was to buy a cheap 2.4 ghz ariel with the correct connecter and I put the camera ariel outdside the shed. I don't know if you can do that.

Job done. This allowed me to go around the line of sight obstructions and stay in bed a night!

Where can you get them receiver /transmitters, i might try that instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

What is the lighting like? A lot of those cameras need very good light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I've the same camera and need to get an ariel was wondering where you got yours?
    The camera works ok in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Mr.Success wrote: »
    A neighbour gave me a wireless cctv camera to try out in the calving shed. Its approx 85 meters from house. The leaflet says it has a 100 mtr range.

There is only 2 trees blocking the line of sight but still the footage is very bad. You cant see anything most of the time and its just grey fuzziness.

Why is this, the leaflet said it would even allow for an external wall?

Trees block signal more than most walls! Trees contain alot of water. Water blocks radio signal better than most walls do. Signal will get worse when leaves appear on trees (more water contained in trees with leaves).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12dbi-WiFi-Magnetic-Base-Omni-Antenna-Aerial-SMA-2-4GHz-/250396817202?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3a4cd03732
    I have this aerial haning from a RSJ on the wall, just run the cable into the camera.

Just check if you have a male or female connector on the camera.

This one has a bit more gain. but be careful too much gain can screw up wifi signals etc.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4GHz-25dbi-Yagi-Wireless-WiFi-Antenna-RP-SMA-Female-/260938266039?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3cc121f5b7

TV signal sender

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4G-Wireless-AV-Home-Receiver-Sender-Kit-4-TV-DVD-VCR-/220760315049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33665714a9
    td5man wrote: »
    I've the same camera and need to get an ariel was wondering where you got yours?
    The camera works ok in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Has any of you a recommendation for a product you could use before the video sender to take input from say 2-3 cameras and send it in one feed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

"dbi" is a useless measure of gain, and most aerial manufacturers use it for sales, "d Bd" will give give you true readings

also at 2.4 Ghz useless you use top quality coax cable you will have serious losses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

leex wrote: »
    Has any of you a recommendation for a product you could use before the video sender to take input from say 2-3 cameras and send it in one feed?

If you want multiple cameras, probably better to use IP Cameras and a Wireless Access Point/Router instead of video senders.
    link foscam ip Camera:

or else a Complete system.
    link wireless camera server:

Of coarse at the end of the day you won't beat a wired system for reliability.

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »
    "dbi" is a useless measure of gain, and most aerial manufacturers use it for sales, "d Bd" will give give you true readings

also at 2.4 Ghz useless you use top quality coax cable you will have serious losses

Hello SnowMan,
    Don't care if Dbi is meaninless. It's working..my ould man had a ringside seat on a C-Section on Monday from the kitchen.

I have this system up and going and I have a perfectly acceptable picute as good as TV reception on the analog (since I cleaned the camera lens). Range of about 70 metres with the signal sender in between to get around sheds in the way.

THe camera -TV reciever can take four channels and I have two camera on a 8 second changeover time. So it works grand.

My next step is an IP camera to be able to check in from work, and to put a remote camera up the land so I can see the back of the farm that is the other side of a hill.

Advertisement