Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average weekly income for Fruit Picking jobs

Options
  • 08-02-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

From anyone's experience from doing fruit picking, what was your weekly take home pay? Did you get paid hourly, weely or by weight?

Is it totally dependent on where you do it or what you do?

We will be starting ours in April in Mildura and just trying to get a grasp of what the going rate is / should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It varies a lot.
    Some places pay by the hour, more so for people driving machines, or ATVs, trailers etc.
    Some places are by volume. Would depend on the fruit itself.

Then you have to account for weather food and accomdation are included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

master-t wrote: »
    From anyone's experience from doing fruit picking, what was your weekly take home pay? Did you get paid hourly, weely or by weight?

We will be starting ours in April in Mildura and just trying to get a grasp of what the going rate is / should be?

riverboat bungalow...

been there, done that.

kicked out of o malleys twice in one night, met hiv positive guy in my dorm

all in mildura...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

master-t wrote: »

500 bucks a week i think at least, but prepare for rise and shine at 5am.

oranges, lemons, grapes are the main ones up in mildura.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

riverboat bungalow...

been there, done that.

all in mildura...

Cheers for the heads up there!

We were looking at Oasis Backpackers and have been advised that the Mildura Fruit Company is great if you can get it. It's all indoors work but on shifts which are - 5am - 3pm, 8am - 5pm or 5pm - 3am (these can change apparently). Hard work but repititive and you can listen to your IPod as you sort oranges and pack them.

I suppose it's guaranteed work and income and a way of saving a small bit each week. I have heard people making about 750-950 a week then minus 200 for accom per week. Not too bad but long hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

riverboat bungalow...

been there, done that.

all in mildura...

What was your overall experience of Mildura? I've spoken to a few people about it - two whom were there for regional work - and they said it's best to avoid the place, only go there as a last resort etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

What was your overall experience of Mildura? I've spoken to a few people about it - two whom were there for regional work - and they said it's best to avoid the place, only go there as a last resort etc..

I have heard some rough stories about it to be honest. Fights with locals and tourists doing their regional work on nights out are apparetly common enough.

Would anyone reccommend an area they went to? Due to good pay, nice area, general good experience etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Hi I never really post on this just look at the games section. But I am going to post today.

Please please do not ever come and stay in oasis backpackers in mildura..It is the worst scam ever. I am sitting in the tv room at the moment on the slowest computer ever, I was advised that this was the place to be however on arrival I soon found out that it is not...We replied to an ad on gumtree for orange picking and a couple of hours later we got a call from a farmer saying that we had to register with harvest hoppers (80 dollars) Which we did not have to register..He said to come up here and we could start working the next day.So we got the train from melbourne (4 hours) to swanhill and then a bus (2 hours) to Mildura.

On arrival to the hostel we paid our 150 dollars weeks rent and an extra 20 dollars for the night we arrived.We were also asked to pay a 50 dollar deposit incase we lost our keys.(We were never told this)

It has now been five days and we still have no work.I was talkin to a couple of lads who are here over 3 weeks and have only had a couple days work and when they do work its 45 dollars a day.... You get paid 20 dollars per orange bin.It is a complete joke... The place is filthy, The bedclothes are ancient and smelly, One of the lads here has a rash from the bedbugs..It is the most horrible place I have ever been.. I hate it and am leaving soon, I only came here to save some money and now it has cost me more,I would leave right now but dont have enough cash to go.I have to wait on a bailout bank transfer from my folks to leave..... Its the biggest scam ever.

Advertisement