Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing my first dinghy/catamaran

• 08-02-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I’m looking to buy my first dinghy or catamaran for a bit of fun on the water. I probably won’t do a huge amount of racing – the biggest appeal would be being able to bring a friend out with me for a sail. I have 3 seasons of sailing done (RYA Dinghy Level 1&2, ISA Catamaran Level 2, RYA/ISA Day Skipper Tidal). I’d like to be able to singlehand my boat occasionally (I weigh less than 9st). I'd like something with an asymmetric spinnaker and ideally trapeze wires too. With my tight budget, these are the boats I’m currently considering:

Hobie Cat 16 (maybe a bit too big and powerful for me at the moment – or would I love it as I got more experienced?)

Hobie Cat 15 (lots of fun, super fast and double trapeze, possibly a bit difficult to right with a light crew)

Topper Topaz Vibe (probably too expensive, very few on the market, don’t know much about them)

RS 200 (looks perfect except I’d like the option of a trapeze)

RS Feva (looks like good easy low cost fun, they have a low PY rating but the reviews suggest that they’re fast and fun?, no trapeze)

Topper Topaz Tres (everything at a cheap price but a little bit pokey, anyone got any experience with using the spinnaker and trapeze on them?)

If you have experience with any of these boats (or another boat that might suit my needs) perhaps you could rate them for me - these are the categories that I think are important to me:
    • Durability (can handle a few knocks without needing repair)
    • Longevity (unlikely to feel the need to change boat in a few years)
    • Low maintenance cost (cost of replacement parts etc multiplied by how often things need to be replaced)
    • Safety (parts unlikely to fail while out on the water etc, low chance of injury while sailing, easy to right from a capsize)
    • Fun (exciting sailing)

Thanks for your help!

Comments

Advertisement