Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agent or Private Selling?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I am putting my house back on the market again after having it with an agent in 2011. I was wondering if anyone would recommend Private Selling over using an agent. I am very interested in hearing the views of potential buyers. Would you as a buyer be more inclined to go through agents in your search/buy??????
    All advice very much appreciated!!!!!! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Use an agent. Buyers dont want to deal with an owner. And no one is going to give an owner a booking deposit so you could have all sorts of messers wasting your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lollypop2

Yea that makes sense....... I didn't have a good experience with the first agent but that wouldn't turn me off either. I need all the help I can get in this climate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    And no one is going to give an owner a booking deposit so you could have all sorts of messers wasting your time.
    A buyer could always give a booking deposit to your solicitor. Some buyers do not like estate agents showing them a property, as they can be so pushy, and have 100 other properties to show potential purchasers.

I know one seller very disappointed with his estate agent. He told him in 2007 he wanted to sell the property by auction for whatever it went for. The estate agent persuaded him to put it on the market by private treaty. Its still for sale, now @ 40% of what the estate agent said it was worth in 07. One potential purchaser said they were put off going to view it because of the estate agent, who has hundreds of properties and is not selling hardly any. Some have found the best way to sell a property is to sell it cheap yourself. One chap I know done a better job of marketing it on the net that estate agents could, who had to be seen to promote hundreds of properties equally. Plus he saved the price of a good month long round the world holiday. Not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Vanderbilt

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Use an agent. Buyers dont want to deal with an owner.

I wouldn't agree. Searching for a house, it would be price, location, condition that would be the deciding factors not what agent is involved or if was a private sale.

I'm surprised the on-line age hasn't led to a big growth in 'my house for sale at XX address.com' adverts.

A lot more uncertainties as a buyer so the engagement of professional services (Surveyors/Solicitors etc) is essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Vanderbilt wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. Searching for a house, it would be price, location, condition that would be the deciding factors not what agent is involved or if was a private sale.

I'm surprised the on-line age hasn't led to a big growth in 'my house for sale at XX address.com' adverts.

A lot more uncertainties as a buyer so the engagement of professional services (Surveyors/Solicitors etc) is essential.
    Personally, as a house/apartment hunter at present, I would be quite happy to buy direct from the seller. I see no sense in talking to an agent who relays my information/question to the seller, who in turn answers the agent who then relays the info to me. Much easier to talk directly with the seller. - More convenient and quicker.

OP., Do make sure you have a current, valid BER Cert as required by law if you are selling or letting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Vanderbilt wrote: »
    good point. By selling it yourself I think you can keep bumping it up on daft.ie and similar websites, whereas estate agents with dozens or hundreds of houses for sale cannot do this.

I agree also "Searching for a house, it would be price, location, condition that would be the deciding factors not what agent is involved or if was a private sale"

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Hey OP

Have you thought about letting the property for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Penguino wrote: »
    Hey OP

Have you thought about letting the property for a while?

Not always thought to be a fantastic option if you intend to sell at some point in the future. There is a school of thought that renting out a property, or at least certain properties will immediately devalue them. Of course if its not intended to put the property onto the market for a considerable time or it was previously let, that would be a different matter.

From a buyers point of view I think some people will prefer to deal with the intermediary that is the Estate Agent. More would rather cut out the middle man and loathe Estate Agents that much, they would rather deal directly with the vendor.

My best advice if you do go down the private sell route is to remain balanced and objective. You probably will get extreme low ball offers perhaps, but take them on the chin, don't throw a hissy fit, just decline them and move on. The ball is well and truly in the buyers court these times. You should be accommodating to potential buyers as in if they wish to view at a time that does not best suit you, you should by hook or by crook accommote them at that time. Goes without saying you should have the house as clean and well maintained as possible for potential viewings. It would seem that clutter is very offputting to potential buyers. I'm sure there are lots of other tips and hints freely avaiable on internet.

Advertisement