Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disposing of a field of last harvest's straw

• 08-02-2012 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Lads

I have a field of barley straw which was left on the ground to get rid of. I 'm just wondering what would be the best approach to take in getting rid of it. I was thinking of spreading it out with a rake and disc harrowing it.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

bale it when the weather picks up? If it was cut in good conditions and left in the sward it would bale up perfect for bedding,....... whenever good weather comes along. otherwise flail topper but then you will have other problems of not chopping the straw across all the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

A neighbour had the same problem with a 45 acre field.
    He went out a week ago and went through it with an old forage harvester (without the spout) and it did a good job.
    He said that at this stage the straw had more value as a fertiliser than trying to dry and bale it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 No.3

Yes

I thought of baling it if the weather dried it out. The forage harvester might be an idea to break it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

We had this probem two years ago I think. We used a double chop to chop it up but the straw still got blocked up in the plough. I was trying to plough that field but I got sick **** of it so I went home and came back that night with a lighter, it made a perfect job of it and I ploughed it the next day the same as if it was a grass field that was after being sprayed.

How much a bale would you get for straw on the ground up 'til now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 No.3

Yes thats the problem with ploughing when there's straw on the ground. Nothing worse than blocking and more blocking. I don't think anyone would pay much for the straw if it was baled now. Allthough it would make grand bales if it dried out because it hasn't been touched with a rake since it was cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

No.3 wrote: »
    Yes thats the problem with ploughing when there's straw on the ground. Nothing worse than blocking and more blocking. I don't think anyone would pay much for the straw if it was baled now. Allthough it would make grand bales if it dried out because it hasn't been touched with a rake since it was cut.

sometimes that weathered straw can be mighty for bedding ,the weather must toughen it up some way , only hard to get it dry for baling this time of year

Advertisement