Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to look for month-by-month lease in Dublin?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi, I might be moving to Dublin for a new job, however I am not sure how long I will remain in the City (could be moved around in Job)-therefor I would rather not commit to a 1 year or 6 month lease. Does anyone have any advice where I could look, e.g. websites, for month-by-month leases? I want a whole apartment as opposed to a house share. Opinions on how realistic this is are also appreciated :) Dont mind paying a deposit and guaranteeing I will give a months notice before I leave, just dont want to be tied into a year lease!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Daft.ie have a section for short term lettings. Most places charge by the week, but you may be able to negotiate a better rate if you are willing to commit to and pay for renting by the month. It may seem very expensive upfront (which it is) but utilities such as gas, electricity, cable TV, broadband, refuse, bin collection etc etc are normally included in short term lets, so factor that into your budgeting. I did it last year when I moved back to Ireland, and was looking around for somewhere long term. The overall monthly cost wound up being about double what I would have paid if I was in a traditional 12 month lease. I was fine with it for a couple of months but any longer than that would have been crippling financially.

I loved the flexibility of being able to move into my new apt without having to worry about giving notice or losing my deposit. I loved not having to deal with setting up gas, electric, broadband accounts of my own. I also found that the standard of accommodation was very high overall as the target market of most short term seemed to be tourists or business travelers who expected hotel standard accommodation. The flip side of that is tourists and business people want to be within easy reach of touristy hot spots and main business districts. As a result, 90% of the properties on offer were in Dublin 1, 2 or 4. If you are ok with that, great. If you want something out in the suburbs, you may have a harder time finding what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Look for either a Periodic Lease or a Part 4 lease as they both give you the opportunity to leave with 28 days' or a month's notice. However, if you stay longer than 6 months with a Part 4, the notice period increases.

Advertisement