Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

method of planting alder/birch in bog?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

i've about an acre of bog at the top of a field and i doubt id ever be able to turn it into grazeable land, i'm considering planting it with alder and birch (i don't want to plant conifers on it) from what i've read these are the most suitable broadleafs for the ground, i stand corrected if this isn't the case though. i'd be doing it myself so whats the best way to go at it? same as conifers and pull drains and plant in the heaps pulled out or what, said i'd best ask ye lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

jack77 wrote: »
    whats the best way to go at it? same as conifers and pull drains and plant in the heaps pulled out or what, said i'd best ask ye lads!
    i think you are describing mounding or something close to it, this would be the best method for you methinks. main thing to remember is weed control after planting and more than likely it requires phosphate in the first year and urea around year 3

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

thanks greenfingers, does the phosphate have to be dug in to the ground before planting or is it a case of just spreading it on the top? sorry if its a stupid question i'd like to give the trees a good start as i can

plant the trees first and apply about a handfull to each tree just scatter it on and around the tree, ground rock phosphate goes out at 350kg/hectare but i reckon its a better job on very peaty ground (and where broadleaves are involved) to apply about 200kg/ha in the first year and then another 200/ha as required in year 3/4/5 depending on the progress. urea goes out at 250kg/hectare generally at year 3

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

What is the growth rate of birch and alder compared to sitka spruce does anybody know?

fodda wrote: »
    What is the growth rate of birch and alder compared to sitka spruce does anybody know?

very difficult to say, extremely dependant on the particular site.

if we were to take a relatively fertile reclaimed shallow bog site. a good yield class for birch or alder would be 8 or even 10. sitka spruce would be somewhere around 18 to 20

• Advertisement
Advertisement