Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is old enough to get a female childs ears pierced?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's standard to do it to newborns in spain iirc

I was also surprised as well as SSR when I heard the first reactions on boards about it - for me it was kinda normal too and I never really thought about it
    i think in my case i'd let them do it when they're old enough to decide

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Is there any room for a middle ground in here?

I think it looks a bit skangery and should be left well alone until the child comes looking for it (early teens onwards).

But all this 'dangerous' and 'evil' stuff... a bit over the top, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours as this concerns parents more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its perfectly normal all over Central Europe.

My daughter got it done when she was about 6 months old. She cried for about 1 minute and then was absolutely fine.
    I am not 100% sure the reason they do it here and I wasnt thrilled with the idea but I would say virtually every girl here has it done before they are 1 and many in the hospital.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*mod note*
    Closing the poll .
    People can give their own opinions on thread about what is or is not a good age.

Please keep your opinions and comments nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Got my daughters ears done for her communion when she was 7/8. Got infected, let them close up and she'll let me know if and when she wants them done again......

That for me was the age......7/8 as is old enough to know it will hurt a bit and can decide if she still wanted it done. She did and so we went ahead.

I wouldn't lose the head and say it was "disgusting" to see a younger childs ears pierced just that it's not for me or mine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Tow

Nevore wrote: »
    I think it's 1 anyway, it can kind of walk but can't really talk, just points at stuff and makes nonsense words

I am sorry to inform you that a child is not an 'it'.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I think even 12 is too young.

I had mine pierced at 16, at my own expense but with my parents' permission. At least at that age I was able to take responsibility for making sure that I kept them clean, avoiding infection and could make an informed decision about whether or not I wanted to have little holes in my ears for the rest of my life.

I know that it can be a cultural thing, but I do not understand people having tiny baby girls' ears pierced. For me it is in the same league as dressing them up in "sexy" clothes. And as for baby boys with pierced ears... I won't get started! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tow wrote: »

The thread was started in After Hours, so I think we'll forgive the OP for that.

Another mod note:
    I've deleted some posts that were not appropriate for this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Keela11

Tow wrote: »

Well actually since most people don't form a gender identity until about 2 and half, "it" technically is.

I would let my child pierce their ears (regardless of gender) somewhere between 10-12 depending on their maturity/understanding/desire. 16ish for other ear piercings and 18 for everything else.

I know a girl who had her ears pierced as a baby. She never wears earring and hates her holes but can't make them close.

No, it's not that big of a deal but a good general rule of thumb would be don't mess with somebody's body without their consent. Why some people think this doesn't extend to their children astounds me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Can a mod please temporarily move this back to AH so that I can post my opinion without getting an infraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I wasn't specifically asking the opinion of parents, I am not one myself, but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

My ex was Cuban and got them done pretty much at birth...don't. See an issue myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Can a mod please temporarily move this back to AH so that I can post my opinion without getting an infraction?

No;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I always told my daughter she could get them done for her communion (aged 8) if that was what she wanted. By then she was old enough to understand the process and the care that was needed.
    She didn't want them done at that point but I'd say if she asked me I'd let her (she's 9 now).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No;)

OK :D

Then I'll just politely say that inflicting pain on a child and cosmetically altering their body purely for fashion is wrong in my opinion.

Ok. it's hardly the worst thing in the world...the pain is short and not too bad, and the hole left in the earlobe can heal. But still...the concept is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

my parents insisted to get ears pierced when they are very small as there wont be any chance of accidents due to all other activities like playing( team play when we are big) or out abouts,and also because their skin is soft and doesnt hurt much at small age..i dindnt find it wrong doing it but had doubt about how things would work so got it done when my daughter was 18 months old :confused:but got it removed again because i feared that she might get some threads of the blankets stuck there and would cause problems as she jiggled all the too much by then..but when she got 2 and half she asked for it,i want to look good like mummy and daddy would buy me earings as gift then( jealous about the gift from my hubby to me :)) so i got her ears pierced,it didnt hurt much, she smiled when they pierced her ears and of course chocolate worked well togather :p
    so according to me 3 -5 years is the best time,but thats just my opinion,some may feel it right and some may think it wrong. but i guess all girls want to do it 1 day or other as this adds to their beauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Please dont ever do it. Let the person decide for themselves as an adult.

My parents had my ears pierced before my communion and they have been nothing but a disgusting itchy infected mess whenever I wore earrings since.

Now (Im nearly 40) I have two ugly holes in my ears that periodically decide to become infected anyway, and ooze for a day or two.

Its gross. You wouldnt tattoo your child so why pierce them?

I am against all body modification (unless for medical reasons) until the person is old enough to make (and possibly regret) their own decision on it.

I personally find piercing disgusting anyway and often think I can smell peoples piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

My sister had her daughters ears pierced when she was 1 or there abouts. She never said anything to any of us about going to get her ears done, and I think all of our reactions where more or less the same - 'what the hell for?' :confused:

I was allowed to have my ears pierced when I was about 12 or 13, and that was only when I asked if I could be allowed. I don't think theres any reason to have your childs ears pierced unless they express an interest in it, and you're sure they understand the after care that goes into it.

I personally thought it looked wrong on my niece, but the damage was already done before I could even ask my sister to re-consider and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The answer to the question is, when they are able to go to a reputable piercer, one who has been trained properly, who will do it with a needle and not one of those horrible horrible piercing guns. Why would anyone suppress their child to a blunt object being pushed at force through their ears?

• Advertisement

In some cultures they are done in the hospital but I see no reason for it here only vanity.
    I have each of mine pierced 5 times,once when I was 7 and the rest when I was 19/20 but I would not dream of getting my girls ears pierced until they are old enough to want and understand it.
    If they want them done at 7/8 I may let them but would prefer them to be teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I was slightly shocked to see a pic on facebook of a friends few week old baby with pierced ears.
    People did query it with the dad, baby's mum is Brazilian & it was done by the doctor in Brazil & apparently is the norm there.

It was a big deal for me to have mine pierced at 8 for my Communion, but I think I would prefer my little girl to wait until she is 12/13 to get it done.

I don't mind piercings per se, I have had my tongue/eyebrow/naval pierced so I'm not averse to them. Just not a fan personally of them in young children.

I particularly hate seeing toddlers with their ears pierced. I remember as a child a neighbour that was a few years older than me having a horribly scarred ear lobe where her ear had torn when she was out playing (can't remember how, obviously horse play/got it caught on something).
    I would hate to see that type of unnecessary injury inflicted on any child of mine!

Advertisement