Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost all power in plug sockets

Options
  • 09-02-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Last night we suddenly lost all power in our plug sockets.We still have lights and oven power though.I checked the fuse box and one of the switches is down and wont go back up.I killed all power,unplugged everything and left it for ten mins.Eventually I got the switch to go back up but it tripped again during the night.The apt was built in 2003 so its a relatively modern box.Any help?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Had a similar situation in my house a few months ago. Turns out it was one plug in one socket that was causing the problem, so I went around the house unplugging things one by one in a process of elimination and found the offending plug that was preventing the fuse switch from staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

K.C wrote: »
    Last night we suddenly lost all power in our plug sockets.We still have lights and oven power though.I checked the fuse box and one of the switches is down and wont go back up.I killed all power,unplugged everything and left it for ten mins.Eventually I got the switch to go back up but it tripped again during the night.The apt was built in 2003 so its a relatively modern box.Any help?
    Thanks

It may be a faulty appliance. Try plugging EVERYTHING OUT on the corcuit that's giving trouble. Then push the MCB back up in the fuse box. Then one by one, plug items back in until you find the appliance that causes the MCB to trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

TheBody wrote: »
    Thanks

It may be a faulty appliance. Try plugging EVERYTHING OUT on the corcuit that's giving trouble. Then push the MCB back up in the fuse box. Then one by one, plug items back in until you find the appliance that causes the MCB to trip.

Thanks but I can't get the switch to go back up . Any ideas?

Thanks but I can't get the switch to go back up . Any ideas?

Are all the sockets gone or just one circuit? Is it the RCD or an MCB that has tripped? The RCD is about twice the size of the MCB's if you don't know the difference. It'll prob say RCD on it somewhere too. The MCB's will have "B20" on them.

Just thinking here, the MCB may just need to be reset. Pull it all the way down and then see if it will go up for you.

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote: »
    Just thinking here, the MCB may just need to be reset. Pull it all the way down and then see if it will go up for you.

It's an RCD that has tripped.Tried resetting to no avail.All the sockets are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can try unplugging appliances first

and you can try turning off the mcbs

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Switch off all the 20Amp breakers that are on the RCD
    then reset the RCD

Then one by one switch back on the 20Amp breakers until you find the circuit that is causing the RCD to trip

It may be a loose connection on the faulty circuit
    my advise would be to get a sparks to test it for you

If you narrow it down to one circuit at least the rest of the sockets are working until you get the problem sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A loose connection alone shouldnt cause the RCD to trip.

Switch all socket MCBs off as said by others. Then see will RCD reset. If it does, then switch on the MCBs one at a time and see will one of them cause the RCD to trip. This is likely the problem circuit. Not certainly though.

But do this and see if that identifies 1 MCB thats tripping the RCD. Then post back for someone to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Switch off all the 20Amp breakers that are on the RCD
    then reset the RCD

Then one by one switch back on the 20Amp breakers until you find the circuit that is causing the RCD to trip

As above to narrow down which circuit it is that is causing the problem.

It would seem like there is dampness at the back of one of the sockets given that you were able to get it to stay up for a period last night before it tripped again.

If you are competent and confident you could (with the power off to them) unscrew the sockets on that circuit, one any one and look for any damp or other damage.

• Advertisement

If it happens to be a neutral earth fault, they can be hard to find, and to identify which circuit its on. The one its on may not actually trip the RCD when its MCB is turned on, if that circuit has no load on it.

This is the one area where the isolators for hard to get at sockets will be very helpful.

Tried all of the above suggestions. Thanks very much. Had absolutely everything plugged out and then realised the only thing on in the apartment was the immersion. Turned it off and now have power back. Looks like I'll be needing a sparks to see why the immersion is tripping the switch.
    Thanks for all the help, at least I can get back to work now!

Tried all of the above suggestions. Thanks very much. Had absolutely everything plugged out and then realised the only thing on in the apartment was the immersion. Turned it off and now have power back. Looks like I'll be needing a sparks to see why the immersion is tripping the switch.

I certain lad here, meercat, always suggests switching off the immersion first. He must be late getting up this morning:D.

Its probably the element. You could try the sink one, if its the bath one thats usually on, and see does that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

robbie7730 wrote: »

I certain lad here, meercat, always suggests switching off the immersion first. He must be late getting up this morning:D.

Its probably the element. You could try the sink one, if its the bath one thats usually on, and see does that work.

Just spotted this now

It's the first place I would look alright

I'm on nights this week so just up alright

• Registered Users Posts: 39 offaly odonohue

You get the problem fixed KC?

Just woke up to the same problem this morning :( seems to be the immersion.

Was it an expensive job? (money pretty tight)

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

its a very common issue for a callout

the esb store are selling incaloy heaters which should last longer

You get the problem fixed KC?

Just woke up to the same problem this morning :( seems to be the immersion.

Was it an expensive job? (money pretty tight)

regards

Hey,

Sorry its a rented apartment so the landlord paid for it.I'll try to find out and let you know if I do.

Advertisement