Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blu Tack Removed Paint!

• 09-02-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    As the title suggested, some paint on my walls have come off with blu tack :(

I think we have the same paint in the basement (im in a rental property) but im not 100% sure. Im just wondering how to go about fixing it? Surely if i just paint over it its gonna leave a ridge?

Thanks so much for any advice :)

SM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Yea you will probably have to fill the wall where the paint has come off and then paint each wall .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi. get a small platic drum of filler. fill out and sand . if you do not have the paint, if you can remember colour. Any paint shop do small tester samples and repaint It will take a little time to tone down in colour.
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

I rather think you'd be making work for yourself trying to fill a whole the thickness of the paint deep - why not just sand the area smooth (with a fine sandpaper) and paint over?!

nosedive wrote: »
    I rather think you'd be making work for yourself trying to fill a whole the thickness of the paint deep - why not just sand the area smooth (with a fine sandpaper) and paint over?!

No it would still be noticable and there could be a good few layers of paint
    on the walls.

sometimes those tubs of ready made filler are hard to sand when set they're like a cement I'd just get normal poly filler mix with water and then sand it and then paint the whole wall.

robbie1977 wrote: »

No it would still be noticable and there could be a good few layers of paint
    on the walls.

sometimes those tubs of ready made filler are hard to sand when set they're like a cement I'd just get normal poly filler mix with water and then sand it and then paint the whole wall.

What?!?!? How??.. .....nevermind, I give up. Never just a simple solution to anything - always an expert on hand. If your response is to be of any use to the OP please send them a PM with detail on what to do - if they knew what poly filler etc to use they wouldn't have asked such a basic question on boards.

I despair - I really honestly do.......rolls eyes.

• Advertisement

What?!?!? How??.. .....nevermind, I give up. Never just a simple solution to anything - always an expert on hand. If your response is to be of any use to the OP please send them a PM with detail on what to do - if they knew what poly filler etc to use they wouldn't have asked such a basic question on boards.

What do you want me to do give the OP wrong advise of would be easiest thing for them to do.

The OP has mentioned that the ridge left in the paint could be a problem
    so why give advice to leave it and paint over it.

What do you want me to do give the OP wrong advise of would be easiest thing for them to do.

The OP has mentioned that the ridge left in the paint could be a problem
    so why give advice to leave it and paint over it.

I didn't.

I didn't.

Sorry you asked why not just paint over it.

I gave an opinion of why it would'nt work and you did'nt like it.

Heres a filling knife for €8.60
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=2663&loc=P&catid=2.19.6

Hes a poly filler that would do the job for €3.24
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=3328&loc=P&catid=2.13

It might sound more complicated than it is but for €12 the OP would have the tools
    and possibly already has the paint.

I didn't.

Sorry you asked why not just paint over it

Once again, I didn't.

Here's a section of my original post for your benefit. Even after my last post you STILL didn't read over it again.

'why not just sand the area smooth (with a fine sandpaper) and paint over?!'

This time I really do give up (rolls eyes).

Did you type that all out a second time just to add ( rolls eyes )

Theres a rolls eyes in the smiley section like this one :rolleyes:
    that you could find handy ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I'm with Robbie on this one. If the blu tack removed some paint, as the OP suggests, just painting over it will leave a ridge that will always be visible. Sanding it back is not a good solution either, you will end up creating a larger depression in the wall surface that will also always be visible, unless the walls are in a generally poor state and one more dip won't make it any worse!

The filler approach is the only way to restore the surface to remove all traces of this issue having occured. If the area of paint removed is small, I'd recommend using decorators caulk (available in all builders proveders and DIY sheds). This is an acrylic based filler that dries quickly and can be smoothed to a very smooth finish. Being acrylic (the same material as emulsion paints), it will blend perfectly with the surrounding area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

get a small tasteful photo and blu-tack it back in the place where the blu-tack has removed the paint.
    job done.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd agree with Robbie on this too, though I would not recommend caulk for the job (mentioned by lgk) - better to use the standard filler that can be sanded flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Robbie's advice is correct.

Advertisement