Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad breath new house mate. eh?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Ok, so last night a new house mate moved in, nice Italian chap.
    To cut a long story short, I was in my room for an hour or two while he was setting up his room, I walked out to the hall and the smell of bad breath was so over powering! I thought to myself, that is mank but maybe its just cause he was busy moving etc. But I woke up this morning, and the smell was even stronger even tho his bedroom door is closed! I sprayed fabreeze in the hall but it didnt help much to clear it up. It is an apt so no windows in the hall way. I can see this smell sticking to clothes drying in the sitting room very quickly!

Little back story. I have been here for 6 months, sharing with another 2 people, they moved out last week, so just myself there for the week until last night and as soon as he moved in the smell appeared.

What do I do here? I am aware he may have a problem but its only 12hrs since he moved in and Its on my mind all last night and this morning, making me a littel sick! How do I say this to him and what do I say it to him without making things difficult for us or embarrassing him!

Ugh, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Leave bowls of mints everywhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭sexymama

Just a thought.Him being Italian he probably eats food with lots of garlic. Maybe that is what the smell is.The smell of garlic breath can be a little bit :eek:

SM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yeah I thought that too, but a French girl lived here up until last week and she ate a lot of garlic, but the smell of that was gone within an hour or so and never stunk the place up in the hallway for the night and the next morning.
    This is bad bad breath.

Like I only know the guy 12hrs so I could just say it to him now and get it over with, recommend mouth wash or flossing but there is no way I can say nothing at all!

I mean, I am in work now an hour and I can still smell it! Like its already stuck to my clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bad breath stuck to your clothes? You sure youre not over exaggerating this at all...?

Best thing to do is say it to him. If its as bad as you are making it out to be then you dont really have a choice. Its not pleasant but its obvious he has a problem that he needs to get sorted.

Nope not exaggerating at all, its that strong and bad.

Feck it, only know him a few hours, will say it to him tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It could be a tooth problem or some kind of sinusitis or throat problem.

If it's that bad, you might actually do him a favour by mentioning it to him.

Solair wrote: »

Thats my main worry, it could be something he can do nothing about.

I hope he is a little aware of it so I dont come across as a d!ck :(

My Landlord has a girl coming over this evening after 8 to view the final room, the landlord and the girl viewing will get the bang as soon as they come through the door, thats not good for the person viewing the room. I know I have been put off by weird smells when I went to view one or two places over the years.

Also, this isnt really something the landlord would deal with, I'm sure he'd like to keep well away from a situation like this, weird one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Light some incense sticks, might neutralise the odour. Best thing to do is have a chat with him about the problem, he probably doesn't even realise it. But for goodness sake, don't mention garlic :rolleyes::)

old hippy wrote: »
    Light some incense sticks, might neutralise the odour. Best thing to do is have a chat with him about the problem, he probably doesn't even realise it. But for goodness sake, don't mention garlic :rolleyes::)

Lol, I wont. Its not a bad breath garlic smell its really just bad breath. God the power of it! Its mighty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Stop kissing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Find out why he moved: last people he shared with may have kicked him out?

testicle wrote: »
    Stop kissing him.

Well he's ruining that plan with his smellyness! :rolleyes:
    the_syco wrote: »
    Find out why he moved: last people he shared with may have kicked him out?

He moved from another country for a job here. First time in Ireland for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I think it's a tad scary that you can smell his breath from across the hall with his room door closed.

I would leave it until the landlord and viewer call. If the smell is really as bad as you imagine, the landlord will be on it like a tonne of bricks, then you can express the general direction it's coming from and let the landlord deal with it. If neither of them notice it, then it's safe to say you're the only one who can smell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

op, how do you know so 100% it's his breath that's that smelly?? I'm asking because it could be anything else in his stuff, clothes, whatever..and if you approach him and telling him it's his breath and it's not, it's even more embarrassing for everybody.:D
    I would approach him and tell him sorry, but since he moved in there's some terrible smell in the apartment, if he has a clue what it could be. go from there and see what he answers...

(and sorry, I know it's not funny for you although you seem to take it with humour either, but this post made my day...thank you:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

it is a bit funny alright :) but obviously not for the OP! Seriously, I'd say he has to be aware of how bad it is. I'm sure others who have had closer contact to him have surely said it to him before. Interesting to hear what the LL says although they probably don't care as long as the rooms are filled. I'd say give the poor guy a night or two to settle in and then approach it in a tactful manner. I don't envy you. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

just move out op, realistically his breath isn't going to get better any time soon and there is a chance it could spread to you when he talks to you

Oh I totally know this is pretty damn funny, talked ot one or two in work about it and they laught, so did I. Just last night it was pretty strong and double strong this morning.

I'm back home now. No smell. He came in from work a few mins later and there was no bang off of him. I will give it a few nights and see how it goes. But for the moment I can breath easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Solair wrote: »

I agree op you might actually do him a favour by mentioning this tactfully. A really bad smell could be indicative of a bacterial infection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

This is one of the funniest threads I;ve ever read. To think that anyone could smell someone's breath without being up close, in their face.

And to think the smell of someone's breath could stick to clothes. HAHAHAAH

OP is either:

1) a troll
    2) a comedian
    3) a simpleton
    4) a lunatic

Either way, highly entertaining stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

he prob has rotten teeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ok, so last night a new house mate moved in, nice Italian chap.
    To cut a long story short, I was in my room for an hour or two while he was setting up his room, I walked out to the hall and the smell of bad breath was so over powering! I thought to myself, that is mank but maybe its just cause he was busy moving etc. But I woke up this morning, and the smell was even stronger even tho his bedroom door is closed! I sprayed fabreeze in the hall but it didnt help much to clear it up. It is an apt so no windows in the hall way. I can see this smell sticking to clothes drying in the sitting room very quickly!

Little back story. I have been here for 6 months, sharing with another 2 people, they moved out last week, so just myself there for the week until last night and as soon as he moved in the smell appeared.

What do I do here? I am aware he may have a problem but its only 12hrs since he moved in and Its on my mind all last night and this morning, making me a littel sick! How do I say this to him and what do I say it to him without making things difficult for us or embarrassing him!

Ugh, thanks!

Any chance you might be pregnant?! ;)

Ok, I may have jumped the gun here.
    No smell in the apt this morning.
    I think he just had something really smelly in his bags or something and got rid of it.

@gosuckonalemon: I am not a troll. If you had this smell in your place, the first thing you would think is 'jesus christ thats really bad breath! eek', I panicked cause never come across something like this, ever. Was rank!

I will give the guy a few days but if the smell reappears again I will mention it.

Thanks for all the replys and some of the funny ones too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Ok, I may have jumped the gun here.
    No smell in the apt this morning.
    I think he just had something really smelly in his bags or something and got rid of it.

@gosuckonalemon: I am not a troll. If you had this smell in your place, the first thing you would think is 'jesus christ thats really bad breath! eek', I panicked cause never come across something like this, ever. Was rank!

I will give the guy a few days but if the smell reappears again I will mention it.

Thanks for all the replys and some of the funny ones too!

If not

1) a troll

then you must be

2) a comedian
    3) a simpleton
    4) a lunatic

Which is it? To think that the smell of someone's breath can get on your clothes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

bad-breath.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

old hippy wrote: »
    bad-breath.jpg

so funny:D:D:D

Advertisement