Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Mod Post #61)The news we've all been waiting for....

Options
  • 09-02-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Lance to race IM in 2012...:)

tunney will be thrilled - showdown in Roth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I hate you that you made me click on that link and read all those sickening sycophantic responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not a chance. Will be an IM Branded race. Dope testing in Roth is too strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lance always makes me feel better about my bike position... if thats the best a pro can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

tunney wrote: »

Yep - makes sense. IM branded races already change the rules by shortening the distance of the run so it would be no trouble to "go easy" on the testing.

Massive mutual advertisement and revenue for Livestrong and the IM brand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

mloc123 wrote: »
    Lance always makes me feel better about my bike position... if thats the best a pro can do.

He broke a bone in his back when he was younger IIRC so he had to ride in that position, didnt effect him too much obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

didnt effect him too much obviously.

Drugs are good like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm so dissapointed, thought this thread was going to be about Chrissie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I don’t get why all you guys are against finding a cure for cancer? ;)
    Be interesting to see how he goes.

How is drug testing in Ironman? <<Snip>>

<<Snip>>

Lads, lets not wonder about Doping on this thread please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Apologies Shotgun.

Just thought it would be ok to discuss since he received a ban. No worries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

tunney wrote: »

Ya think?:rolleyes:

You can imagine how long they've been chasing him - massive bucks for the WTC and an opportunity to make it even harder to get into a US IM...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Izoard wrote: »
    Ya think?:rolleyes:

You can imagine how long they've been chasing him - massive bucks for the WTC and an opportunity to make it even harder to get into a US IM...

latest news...

lots of 70.3s, IM Nice and target Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I suspect any IM branded race which Lance graces with his presence will probably double it's entry fee:rolleyes:

I suspect he'll do well racing as an AG'er in IM France, he does now how to climb a hill a two.

edit: just seen Mloc's post.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    I suspect any IM branded race which Lance graces with his presence will probably double it's entry fee:rolleyes:

I suspect he'll do well racing as an AG'er in IM France, he does now how to climb a hill a two.

edit: just seen Mloc's post.........

He raced Xterra as a Pro - would think he'd do the same here?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pro sportsman does sponsored racing thing. Yawn.

Race with Lance and wear his colours. Why? I'll wear me Oryx colours ta very much. Do people really do this? Go out to beat him or something, or to say 'we're team Lance, go us!' It's bad enough that Ive been suckered into the IM brand (first and last, btw, its a money pit). Dont try to make me into a feckin groupie as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

In the press release, Armstrong also announces that he will be competing at Ironman 70.3 Panama, Ironman 70.3 Texas, Ironman 70.3 Florida, Ironman 70.3 Hawaii and Ironman France. The release also states Armstrong’s goal is to qualify for the 2012 Ironman World Championship, to be held in Kailua-Kona on Oct. 13.

Panama is this weekend afaik so be good to see how he measures up.

You know Macca and co would love to race against him on home turf so to speak (triathlon vs Cycling).

Looking forward to seeing how he goes

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

He did start as a triathlete so probably no surprise really.

I dont get the cynicism around him to be honest. At least he's using his fame for a good cause. I don't really care if he makes a few quid out of it - he is a professional sportsman.

Cancer awareness & research benefit more from him doing this sort of thing than not so that's it as far as I'm concerned. Plenty of people in a position to do good don't bother.

Maybe it will raise the profile of triathlon too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

onimpulse wrote: »
    He did start as a triathlete so probably no surprise really.

I dont get the cynicism around him to be honest. At least he's using his fame for a good cause. I don't really care if he makes a few quid out of it - he is a professional sportsman.

Cancer awareness & research benefit more from him doing this sort of thing than not so that's it as far as I'm concerned. Plenty of people in a position to do good don't bother.

Maybe it will raise the profile of triathlon too?

Oh dear. i ll say no more for fear of being banned. Open your eyes and mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Well for anyone interested you can track him here.

A savage swim IMO. Perhaps it was short.

• Advertisement

Well for anyone interested you can track him here.

A savage swim IMO. Perhaps it was short.

1:01/100m :eek:

Down stream?

Edit: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5295995 - short

Only one time split for the bike, not even a timing mat at the turn :confused: but I reckon he will be first coming off the bike, or second to Christ Lieto. Wonder what his run is like.

Only one time split for the bike, not even a timing mat at the turn :confused: but I reckon he will be first coming off the bike, or second to Christ Lieto. Wonder what his run is like.

His run seems decent so far.. He is on for a 69min

As predicted, second starting the run Lieto first. Lieto bike split - 2:10:08, Armstrong 2:10:18.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I love you Bevan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

2nd place. Beaten by Bevan Docherty in the last km of the run.

Not a bad first race at all for him.

2nd place. Beaten by Bevan Docherty in the last km of the run.

Not a bad first race at all for him.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Does anyone know the strength of the pro field for that race? afaik the guy who won it is preparing for london, and while both him and armstrong are undoubtedly savage competitors how does it reflect the standard at these events that a superannuated peddler can turn up and beat most of the full time triathlete pros with minutes to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The field was pretty good, but I'm not sure that you can compare the different athletes too closely in this kind of event. They're all at different stages of the year- the ITU guys are probably aiming for a bit of a training hit-out as they focus on London. Docherty has a big race in Sydney in April to even qualify. The IM athletes are at the very start of their season and probably only want to get some points and races in to qualify for Kona.

As for Lance, who knows? The cynic in me would say the IM lot probably don't mind the whole media frenzy around Lance coming second: more media=more interest in IM=more money/sponsors etc. He'll get smashed in the longer distance anyway- his run will be exposed much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Oh, and the first three were not dope tested. Very unusual apparently.

Advertisement