Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Mod Post #61)The news we've all been waiting for....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

He's not really wrong though is he when he's talking about the ITU races? It's rare there's a decisive break made on the bike and a significant lead taken into the run. 8/10 times it comes down to a foot race and who the fastest 10k runner is.

If you watch alot of bike racing you know that the group will never let a potential racer winner off the front. Pharmstrong knows that too. He also knows that road racing isn't easy.

He is bitter and frustrated that he has finally twigged that in an olympic year no one *really* gives a toss about Kona.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Hah, now I know what Noble meant by his 'Shampoo Swim' tweet this morning.

Read that too but figured that was something to do with having boy band style hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Well then he better do some decent run training or HTFU and stop whining like a little girl. Does he want the sport to change to suit him?

I think he was making the comparison between draft legal and non draft legal and replied to Whitfield about the ITU not being the "race of truth". In a non-draft race it's all about you vs the clock. If you can draft then the cycling suddenly becomes easier and it's how fast the peleton goes.

He has chosen the longer distances so isn't asking anything to change. He also first made those comments 3 years ago and with the Brownlees and Gomez the mens racing has changed a bit with those 3 cyclists willing to take the risks to make the breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

He's not really wrong though is he when he's talking about the ITU races? It's rare there's a decisive break made on the bike and a significant lead taken into the run. 8/10 times it comes down to a foot race and who the fastest 10k runner is.

Agree with this. Drafting has to go. It makes the race a bit of a joke sometimes, turns it into a 10km race and neutralises the swim and bike element. Gains on the swim are eroded in no time, and gains on the bike are almost impossible to make, when you have a peloton tracking your every move.

Having said that, Lance is still a pr1ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

to add a bit of fuel in those stupid lance discussions
    i always thought that triathlon was invented by rich lazy white people that cant run as fast as the africans;-)

and here some hawaii pics
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150340581444223&set=a.84544904222.77579.34894109222&type=1&theater

hardly the test ........

anyway love it that all the Itu guys seem to fall for smart lance marketing

ps in the USA nobody cares about Itu racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

tunney wrote: »
    If you watch alot of bike racing you know that the group will never let a potential racer winner off the front. Pharmstrong knows that too. He also knows that road racing isn't easy.

He is bitter and frustrated that he has finally twigged that in an olympic year no one *really* gives a toss about Kona.

'Pharmstrong'
    Love it...havent heard that one before!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

peter kern wrote: »

Really? Lukas Verzbicas might disagree with you.

A lot of athletics fans went nuts when he changed discipline.

Clum wrote: »
    Really? Lukas Verzbicas might disagree with you.

A lot of athletics fans went nuts when he changed discipline.

have you heard about him since lance?

Nobody on slowtwitch has an Idea how Itu works not even the USA federation itself by the looks of it.
    ps he is not american anyways ;-)

Nobody on slowtwitch has an Idea how Itu works not even the USA federation itself by the looks of it.

The USA doesn't have an idea about a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

have you heard about him since lance?

ps he is not american anyways ;-)

No doubt Lance is filling most of the Tri related media headlines in the States with his IM racing but that doesn't mean nobody in the US cares for or understands the ITU.

I have heard reports about Verzbicas since Lance jumped on the IM scene. In fact, slowtwitch (who are not the only Triathlon specific website or magazine in in the States) refer to Verzbicas and his ITU racing on a number of occasions in an interview with another emerging American talent just a few days ago here.

I'd agree IM is probably bigger news than ITU in America but ITU has a very big following there. There's a good chance young Verzbicas could become a bigger name in triathlon than any Brownlee, Gomez, MacCormack or Armstrong and it's the draw of ITU competitions that will do that for him.

• Advertisement

Americans generally don't care about things that they are sh1t at.

04072511 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Drafting has to go. It makes the race a bit of a joke sometimes, turns it into a 10km race and neutralises the swim and bike element. Gains on the swim are eroded in no time, and gains on the bike are almost impossible to make, when you have a peloton tracking your every move.

And how do you remove the drafting? When everyone swims the same, when everyones T1s are perfect.............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Decent enough attacking break at Sydney in the first race. Agree though bike section usually boring enough especially the women's. Non draft would probably turn into a 50 man pace line and be just as boring. There will be some fun tactics in the Olympic race though and Ill predict some break attempts and teams trying to block the brownlees from chasing

I am not that happy that you put Armstrong in the same league as Gomez the Brownlees and Mc cormack when it comes to triathlon ;-)
    Armstong has not won a world champ titel in triathlon ;-)

tunney wrote: »
    Americans generally don't care about things that they are sh1t at.

Tunney, the USA has a good chance to medal in triathlon in London. Sarah
    and Gwen are defo in the group of serious medal contenders...

So are you saying they are male dominated society ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Non-drafting is utterly boring. 15 years too late for that argument.

It'd be pretty simple to make the bike more interesting if the bike courses were harder. Plenty of the pros have been asking for tougher courses for a while now. Alastair Brownlee made the point a few years back when they were in Kitzbuhel, saying here we are in the middle of the alps and the bike course was pancake flat.

I know they need lapped courses for TV, but the Madrid course manages to get in a nice climb on each lap, and this year's Auckland course for the final world champs race is very undulating.

One of the problems in the men's fields at the moment is that the best cyclists are also the best runners, and so probably content to truck along in a big group when they know they'll be cranking out 30mins for the run.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Non-drafting is utterly boring. 15 years too late for that argument.

It'd be pretty simple to make the bike more interesting if the bike courses were harder. Plenty of the pros have been asking for tougher courses for a while now. Alastair Brownlee made the point a few years back when they were in Kitzbuhel, saying here we are in the middle of the alps and the bike course was pancake flat.

I know they need lapped courses for TV, but the Madrid course manages to get in a nice climb on each lap, and this year's Auckland course for the final world champs race is very undulating.

One of the problems in the men's fields at the moment is that the best cyclists are also the best runners, and so probably content to truck along in a big group when they know they'll be cranking out 30mins for the run.

What would make it properly exciting is to have the bike course containing one giant H Category Tour de France type climb, followed by a sharp desent. That would seperate the men from the boys and drafting wouldn't be an issue. Obviously this could only be done in certain locations however.

Tunney, the USA has a good chance to medal in triathlon in London. Sarah
    and Gwen are defo in the group of serious medal contenders...

So are you saying they are male dominated society ;-)

THERE IS WOMEN'S TRIATHLON!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I think you are the 3rd fastest Irish Ironman female ;-)
    but the fastest with powermeter . ;-)

Good third place finish by Lance in St Croix today.

Looks like his 'C' races are going well and hopefully he should peak for IM France.

• Advertisement

how do you now they are C races are you in close contact with him or Jimmy Ricatelo ?

how do you now they are C races are you in close contact with him or Jimmy Ricatelo ?

I don't. This thread is full of banter about Lance and those who are "with him" and those "against him". God forbid we only had factual, evidence based threads on here.

But anyway... I reckon most people would agree that it looks like IM France is his 'A' race. That along with Hawaii if he qualifies. If he's building towards that then perhaps Hawaii 70.3 or Florida 70.3 are his 'B' races. St Croix was added late so if it didn't factor in his original race schedule I'd think it's pretty low down on his list of priorities. That's not to say he didn't give it his all though.

there has to be a few that like me , are totally suspicious of his "clean"cycling record , but are also extremely interested what he does right now and recognize his hard work and talent ( and his placings are slightly better than what I would have thought he could do)

I am looking forward to see how far he can go and 2013 i think a top 7-10 place in hawaii is not beyond him. top 5 i can not see

the people that think he will do great in france seem to forget that he already seems to struggle a lot at the run over an half and thats nota good sign for the full. its a bit like to expect a junior athlete that is good over the sprint to knock out a good oly distance run. Most of the times it takes time. benjamin shaw would be a good example he has a fast 3k tt time but this weekend was most likely his first proper ( in proportion to his talent) 10k run in a tri.

Good to see lance finally getting the hang of triathlons. His first win in 3:45 at Florida 70.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good to see lance finally getting the hang of triathlons. His first win in 3:45 at Florida 70.3.

Very impressive result in the heat though it was on a flat course. Flay play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Heard the bike split was 2.01 while the run was 1.15 (reported 20.7km on his gps)

Seriously impressive performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

ecoli wrote: »
    the run was 1.15 (reported 20.7km on his gps)

Where did you find that info?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Where did you find that info?

bit.ly/JZQp3z

• Advertisement

Second 70.3 win for Lance in Hawaii today beating Greg Bennett and Chris Leito. Completed the 70.3 in 3:50:58 beating Macca's 2007 course record of 3:57:18.

Whatever you think about him to come back to triathlon at 40 and start winning like he is doing is pretty impressive.

Saying that I think I'm know getting an understanding of the Lance factor after TriAthy today. Russ White puts in a fantastic performance to win and all the talk and press is about Jenson Button. Is Jenson going to inspire anyone to race next year? Doubt it. Not saying Russ White will either but he looks like he's a bright future ahead of him.

Advertisement