Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Mod Post #61)The news we've all been waiting for....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Some of the big boys must be getting a wee bit worried now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I hear ya...

To gap lieto by 3mins + in a 90k Bike on a windy course....

What's gonna happen in Kona?? Similar course!
    He's gonna have 10+ mins ahead onto the run course you'd imagine..

So can he run a 2:55-2:57 to win it?
    He's gonna be close that's for sure.

Great that Macca is now back and focussed in on it too.
    Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Fazz wrote: »
    So can he run a 2:45-2:47 to win it?
    Given that he found it so hard to go sub-3 for the NYC marathon, while solely focusing on running and with an unbelievable team of pacers, how can he possibly run 2:45-2:47 after the swim and bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Given that he found it so hard to go sub-3 for the NYC marathon, while solely focusing on running and with an unbelievable team of pacers, how can he possibly run 2:45-2:47 after the swim and bike?

Sorry meant 2:55 as in that's what he'll need to run as Crowie and Macca likely to be 2:45'er/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Fazz wrote: »

Sorry meant 2:55 as in that's what he'll need to run as Crowie and Macca likely to be 2:45'er/s.
    For the pros, what's the usual increase in marathon time for a straight marathon vs at the end of an Ironman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

He subsequently ran a 2:46 marathon bout a year after. I imagine he is close enough to a 2:55 off the bike as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Gringo78 wrote: »
    He subsequently ran a 2:46 marathon bout a year after. I imagine he is close enough to a 2:55 off the bike as things stand.

Without having followed this much, but its taken him what, 5/6 races to get his half run off the bike right, can he really be expected to get his full marathon run off the bike right in the second attempt? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

He's doing Nice in a few weeks so should have a better idea then.

How about Macca's comments?

"There’s a lot of hype. I want to smash him. Look at his times. He’s probably a minute down on the swim on the fastest guys. I know he will ride to the front, he should – he’s best the cyclist in the world and has seven Tour de France wins to prove it, but this is triathlon and he has to run. I look at my strengths and his, and he won’t be able to run with me. Look at the performances in all his races. His run has fallen apart in the latter stages of the run in every race. I run for dough and he doesn’t run as well. I look forward to it. You can’t do that if you want to win Kona. Lance I am better than you. Bring it on. I can’t wait to race him."

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/06/01/interview-chris-mccormack-on-the-olympics-and-beating-lance-armstrong/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

has any male won Kona first time out in the last 20 years?... from reading macca's book it would appear impossible. race in Nice will tell us a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

luc van lierde 15 years ago the same year when he went 7.50 in roth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Washington Post article on new doping charges against Lance:
    The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against former cyclist Lance Armstrong in an action that could cost him his seven Tour de France titles, according to a letter sent to Armstrong and several others Tuesday.

As a result of the formal charges, Armstrong has been immediately banned from competition in triathlons, a sport he took up after his retirement from cycling in 2011.
    More here

Statement from Armstrong here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Interesting........so a ban without guilt being actually being shown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Amz wrote: »
    Washington Post article on new doping charges against Lance:

More here

Statement from Armstrong here

Haha, classic. So to answer the question everyone was asking on twitter... road bike or TT for Nice? Neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Bizarre - Surely the lawyers will sort that out within days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Izoard wrote: »
    Bizarre - Surely the lawyers will sort that out within days...

Unless its Ironman organisers who have said no race with this pending ? I'd say they wouldn't want this over shadowing Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

872dfafde6d7fe0c3eef20a7d5c52b5d.jpg

Can I get my money back on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Don't this the rules let you race while formally charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

USADA side:

The agency alleges that Armstrong used EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone, steroids and masking agents, the Post reported, citing the letter. It also alleges that he administered drugs to others.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47803607/ns/sports-cycling/

Alleged longterm slippery like an eel to catch cheat Armstrongs comment:

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstrong-responds-to-usada-allegation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »

Don't this the rules let you race while formally charged.
    Cant wait to see ironmans response to this. #eggonface

Cant wait to see ironmans response to this. #eggonface

What? This isn't an outrage? or a disgrace??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ouch!

I do like the idea that if you cheated you'll be pursued relentlessly in the US.

Surely these guys have no jurisdiction outside the US, so he'd be OK for IM France?

Lawyer-fest.

Possible merge with main thread required...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Its easy to make allegations, substantiating them is the tricky bit.

Izoard wrote: »
    Surely these guys have no jurisdiction outside the US, so he'd be OK for IM France?

Lawyer-fest.

USADA -> UST
    UST -> ITU
    ITU -> WTC

gottarun wrote: »
    Its easy to make allegations, substantiating them is the tricky bit.

Years long criminal case wrapped up recently for reasons unknown, politics suspected.
    Federal investigators to USADA "hey this stuff could come in handy for you YEARS of data"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Proof that he was EPO doping in 2009 & 2010 and proof that he was blood doping also......will he never learn!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I hope the ST servers can deal with all the new Lance petition threads, he is great, let him race, such an outrage, speak to your senator threads:)
    Lance fan boy heads exploding all over the place.

tunney wrote: »
    USADA -> UST
    UST -> ITU
    ITU -> WTC

Impressive brevity, if lacking in clarity.

Still not clear to me what jurisdiction USADA have over WTC...

My understanding of USADA's charter - has the authority to suspend dopers from competition in Olympic sports and it can take back awards, but it cannot press criminal charges.

Givne IM is not an Olympic sport, nor is he a *confirmed* doper, it seems a big stretch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

If he hadn't made his comeback 2.0 none of this would have happened I reckon.

Still, isn't it sad to see the career of a novice triathlete being pegged back by bureaucracy.

Advertisement