Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Mod Post #61)The news we've all been waiting for....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Very good article explaining how EPO is used as a masking agent for blood doping and will help explain how the authorities looked at Armstrong's 2009-10 blood results.

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2012/behind-scenes-contador-cas-hearing-michael-ashenden

The article refers to Contador but as it's largely the same folks indicted with Armstrong that were with AC at Astana. Same methods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

None of this is, in fact, true. Armstrong is not banned from triathlons. Not yet. Rather, USADA's 15-page letter, sent to Armstrong's attorneys, laid out its thesis that Armstrong was part of a team-wide conspiracy to dope, and concluded with, "at this time, we are forwarding this matter to a panel of USADA anti-doping review board for its consideration and recommendation as set forth in the USADA protocol."

And, "... if this case proceeds beyond the anti-doping review board USADA will recommend a sanction..."

There is therefore no ban yet. Armstrong is free to compete in triathlon, or cycling, for that matter, assuming the race organizer will allow him into its race. And there's the rub.

"Armstrong is therefore suspended from competing in WTC-owned and licensed races pending further review," wrote the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) in a statement. This, because, "Our rules, as stated in the WTC Professional Athlete Agreement and Waiver, dictate an athlete is ineligible to compete during an open investigation." WTC owns and produces the Ironman brand of triathlons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

There's a thread on this on the cycling forum and it's been suggested that if Armstrong were to loose his 7 TdF titles for whatever reason the titles would go to: Zulle, Ullrich, Ullrich, Beloki, Ullrich, Kloden, Basso - all great ambassadors for drug free cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    None of this is, in fact, true. Armstrong is not banned from triathlons. Not yet. Rather, USADA's 15-page letter, sent to Armstrong's attorneys, laid out its thesis that Armstrong was part of a team-wide conspiracy to dope, and concluded with, "at this time, we are forwarding this matter to a panel of USADA anti-doping review board for its consideration and recommendation as set forth in the USADA protocol."

And, "... if this case proceeds beyond the anti-doping review board USADA will recommend a sanction..."

There is therefore no ban yet. Armstrong is free to compete in triathlon, or cycling, for that matter, assuming the race organizer will allow him into its race. And there's the rub.

"Armstrong is therefore suspended from competing in WTC-owned and licensed races pending further review," wrote the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) in a statement. This, because, "Our rules, as stated in the WTC Professional Athlete Agreement and Waiver, dictate an athlete is ineligible to compete during an open investigation." WTC owns and produces the Ironman brand of triathlons.[/QUOTE]

Just as i thought, its Ironman thats stopping him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

This is getting interesting!

MrCreosote wrote: »
    If he hadn't made his comeback 2.0 none of this would have happened I reckon.

I 100% agree with this

Just as i thought, its Ironman thats stopping him.

WTC renege and let him in and its curtains for any credibility of IM distance racing

I 100% agree with this

I 100% disagree.

USADA were always going to use the evidence from the Federal Investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

If they haven't proven anything by now what makes them think they can do it at this late stage.

• Advertisement

I 100% disagree.

Why did the USDA not move earlier so, why 5/6 months after the Federal Investigation was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I 100% disagree.

Comeback 2.0 being the 2009 one. Federal Investigation started in 2010. If he'd stayed quietly in retirement the Fed investigation would prob never have happened, and USADA wouldn't have their evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why did the USDA not move earlier so, why 5/6 months after the Federal Investigation was closed.

I'm sure they had to go through documentation they received from the feds with a view to analysing it with regards to how they would approach the case differently than a federal one and rework it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

He's still free then to enter the Hy Vee ITU rules event then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

from slowtwitch

AFP - Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong will be denied entry to the Nice leg of the Ironman series due to an ongoing doping investigation into the American, the event organisers said Thursday.
    Armstrong, whose career has been dogged by unfounded allegations of doping, is the subject of fresh allegations by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) which could lead to the stripping of his titles.
    Organisers of the Nice Ironman, to be held June 24, said through spokeswoman Delphine Vivet: "The rules governing the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) state that no athletes under investigation can participate in the event."
    The decision, of which Armstrong had already been informed by the WTC, ends the American's plans for the French race following his victory at a recent, smaller triathlon event.
    Armstrong had recently rented a villa in the region, at Cap d'Ail, and had been spotted at a pool used by some of France's top swimming stars including Yannick Agnel and Camille Muffat.
    The eighth edition of the Nice Ironman is set to welcome 2000 athletes from 57 countries.
    It begins with a 3.8 km swim in the Mediterranean, is followed by a bike race on a 180 km circuit and concludes with a full marathon over 42.195 km.
    USADA chief executive Travis Tygart issued a statement Wednesday confirming "that written notice of allegations of anti-doping rule violations was sent yesterday to him (Armstrong) and to five additional individuals all formerly associated with the United States Postal Service professional cycling team.
    "These individuals include three team doctors and two team officials.
    "This formal notice letter is the first step in the multi-step legal process for alleged sport anti-doping rule violations," Tygart said.
    Armstrong -- who has vehemently denied using performance-enhancing drugs during his career -- angrily said the new "baseless" charges stem from "discredited" allegations from the past.
    "I have been notified that USADA... intends to again dredge up discredited allegations dating back more than 16 years to prevent me from competing as a triathlete and try and strip me of the seven Tour de France victories I earned," Armstrong said in a statement.
    He slammed the agency as "an organization largely funded by taxpayer dollars but governed only by self-written rules."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Loving the fact that WTC wiped the main page of their website of lance as soon as it broke....abandon ship abandon ship...lance..lance who?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just merging the threads lads.. do carry on

Jolly good'n now eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

To balance the slowtwitch article... The ultimate lance fanboy Paul Kimmage :)http://t.co/MgZJWohq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

A like this blog, and he articulates better can I could.

http://worldwidecyclesblog.com/2012/06/14/there-is-a-bigger-picture-than-just-lance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fionn_mac

I hope the ST servers can deal with all the new Lance petition threads, he is great, let him race, such an outrage, speak to your senator threads:)
    Lance fan boy heads exploding all over the place.

You won't be signing their petition?;)

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/stop-investigation-usada-lance-armstrong/FX0pVTLL

fionn_mac wrote: »

As Miley used to say in Glenroe, well holy god!!

Anyone who signs that petition needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

peter kern wrote: »

That video was made for it, lots of people on ST calling out for someone to do it:)

I do hope that she is right and Spain will be ok ;-)

What do we think are the chances of him now lining up in Roth instead of IM France. Do we think Felix would take the risk? Its not as if the race needs Lance to promote it.

What do we think are the chances of him now lining up in Roth instead of IM France. Do we think Felix would take the risk? Its not as if the race needs Lance to promote it.

Standard in Roth WAY higher than Nice. Is he ready to race against the actual Tier 1 pros?

absolutely 0

ps that for him being allowed to enter roth.

peter kern wrote: »
    absolutely 0

Right so then Ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

So the WTC were happy to let Michi Weiss race while there was an investigation pending?

Seems odd, they would then get on the moral high-horse with their golden goose.

Advertisement