Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer surf - student budget

Options
  • 09-02-2012 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Some advice please?
    Myself & my GF are thinking about heading away surfing for a few weeks in June(Maybe even all of June lol). We're both postgrad students so budget is mediocre. Also both beginners but with Bens help come June we should be semi decent!

2 options:
    1 - Fly to feuraventura/portugal/south of france. Rent gear, car & appartment. Travel about locally & get a couple of days lessons here & there.

2 - Ferry to UK bringing our own boards & gear. (Car gives 58 mpg) Surf the South of UK for a couple of days. Stay in hostels. Ferry on to France & maybe even Portugal repeating same. Get some lessons here & there

Number 2 is very appealing to me. Might help to keep the costs down while adding to our freedom.

Any opinions?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Price the ferry to France form Roslare for end of May early June, if you can retrun before the primary schools close it would be much cheaper as would be the first two weeks in september (lots of places further north close up in september but far south you will be fine). Bring a tent, also if you can tint or make curtains for the car so it's an option. Go as far south as can and make your wayback up slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Surf holidays do have some good deals from time to time. I've never gone with them myself but had a mate that claims they were brill, very helpful over the phone too if you have any queries:

http://www.surfholidays.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Are flights and board hire included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

rodento wrote: »
    Are flights and board hire included

You've to organise your own flights, but board hire, lessons (if needed), return airport transfers to the accommodation are generally included in their packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I think they once offered boat trips and chile

• Advertisement

FRANCE ROAD TRIP GO ON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO !!!!

254736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

FRANCE ROAD TRIP GO ON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO !!!!

254736.jpg

Jesus Christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Well now my better half has decided she wants to go in March.
    Looking at faro, Portugal for a Thursday to Monday.

Any recomendations for surfing there? Lagos & surfexperience.com seem to be the place to go. 68euro for gear for a wk.
    Any comments?

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Well now my better half has decided she wants to go in March.
    Looking at faro, Portugal for a Thursday to Monday.

Any recomendations for surfing there? Lagos & surfexperience.com seem to be the place to go. 68euro for gear for a wk.
    Any comments?
    Pitty a month in France would ge better, go to Portugal but later suggest that it was to short ....

Any way Lago is a cool town, lots of great places to eat and it's near lots of good surf spots, 25 or so km to Arrafina. I've never done the surf camp thing always rented a car and got out own place pm me if you want the number for a lady who rents appartmentins in arrafina , one half way down the hill over looks the beach. It's small perfect for two and well cool. But you'll need to rent a car. If you go to a surf camp you can't go far wrong with Lagos as a base.

Faro & Lagos it is then. End of March for 5 days.

Staying here http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Lagos-Escape-Hostel/Lagos/49797#availability

Car rental for 25 euro

Any recommendations on surf gear/lessons so?
    Surf experience rent gear for 67 euro
    Can we surf in Lagos town itself?

• Advertisement

Only place I know of is a rocy reef and it will be very small and shallow.

Best places are on the West Coast.

Take advice from one of the surf schools but Carrapateira and Amado or beaches at the back of Via do Bispo would be good in a small to mid sized swell. Further north Arrifana is good if the swell is about 2 meters up, if Amado is to big go there (unless it's huge)

If there is a big west swell then on the south coast Zavial will be big enough but still it has a lot of power so watch out, Burgau will be much smaller and cleaner but still good fun. There was talk of good waves at other beachs near there but I didn't find them.

One thing to wathc out for is mozzies they come out at dusk and you alway see the locals leaving just before that. Maybe in March it's on but in september October I've been eaten alive. A good tip I got which worked in Thailand was to take vitiman B 1 they don't like your blood. Got some in H&B for 17 quid took two a day and had no problems, also used 20% DTE repellent.

Anyone know what the temp will be like in Lagos at the end of march? Googling give a range of 9 to 22 degrees which is pretty big?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Anyone know what the temp will be like in Lagos at the end of march? Googling give a range of 9 to 22 degrees which is pretty big?

could be 9 at night 22 during day?

Advertisement