Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gold upgrade - what to go for?

• 09-02-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

This is probably the wrong place to ask:

I've got a Gold upgrade with O2 due now, but am unsure of what Android to go for?

It has to be small(ish)
    Form factor has to be bar
    I would prefer Wifi
    It would have to have Navigation/Maps on it.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its android it has wifi. If you plan on using maps a lot then get something with full gps not cellular gps like many phones have.

O2 Online shop isnt that hard to use....
    Samsung S5830 Galaxy Ace
    Prepay
    €209

Bill Pay from free

Motorola DEFY+
    Prepay
    €249

Bill Pay from free

Samsung I8350 Omnia W
    Prepay
    €329

Bill Pay from free

HTC Rhyme Clearwater
    Prepay
    €389

Bill Pay from free

Samsung Galaxy S II White
    Prepay
    €519

Bill Pay from free

Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
    Prepay
    €519.00

Bill Pay from free

Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570
    Prepay
    €99

Bill Pay from Free

GSII is a top seller, but could be considered large. Having the X10 I'd likely choose the Arc S myself. SE are getting better and better by the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hi guys

This is probably the wrong place to ask:

I've got a Gold upgrade with O2 due now, but am unsure of what Android to go for?

It has to be small(ish)
    Form factor has to be bar
    I would prefer Wifi
    It would have to have Navigation/Maps on it.

Any suggestions?

Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray, without a doubt. I have it, and love it.

sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/xperia-ray?cc=gb&lc=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

manual_man wrote: »

That's a gorgeous lookin' phone. I'll have to go and take a look at it? It should be free with my upgrade??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

That's a gorgeous lookin' phone. I'll have to go and take a look at it? It should be free with my upgrade??

That would be €29 on a Gold upgrade.

jenno86 wrote: »
    That would be €29 on a Gold upgrade.

I wonder would I get anything off if I brought in my current phone? I still have all the equipment in the box.

• Advertisement

It really is a beaut. I went for the black myself, but I'm nearly sorry I didn't go for the gold, it's not too bling, but looks classy. The phone itself is well built and just slips in your pocket, you,d hardly know it was there. It has all the features you'd expect and performance is good. You can totally customize the home screen which is nice too. Camera is surprisingly good too, considering the size. I'm sure if you go into your O2 shop they'll have one to look at.

It really is a beaut. I went for the black myself, but I'm nearly sorry I didn't go for the gold, it's not too bling, but looks classy. The phone itself is well built and just slips in your pocket, you,d hardly know it was there. It has all the features you'd expect and performance is good. You can totally customize the home screen which is nice too. Camera is surprisingly good too, considering the size. I'm sure if you go into your O2 shop they'll have one to look at.

I have one of those Golla wallets that I carry my phone and some other stuff in(money, cards etc), so would it fit easily into this?

I have one of those Golla wallets that I carry my phone and some other stuff in(money, cards etc), so would it fit easily into this?

I'd have to see it! But it (the phone) is under 10mm thick so I'd be surprised if it didn't! the phones dimensions etc should be on the link provided under the specifications width height etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I wonder would I get anything off if I brought in my current phone? I still have all the equipment in the box.

What type of phone?

In my hand!

20120209_133607.jpg

Bit of a dodgy picture quality I know, but maybe it can give you an idea of the size... I have small-medium size hands

• Advertisement

I'd have to see it! But it (the phone) is under 10mm thick so I'd be surprised if it didn't! the phones dimensions etc should be on the link provided under the specifications width height etc...

http://www.golla.fi/#/en/products/preview/G927

I currently have something similar to that for my Nokia 5230. Would the phone mentioned be bigger/smaller than my 5230?

jenno86 wrote: »
    What type of phone?

Nokia 5230

http://www.golla.fi/#/en/products/preview/G927

I currently have something similar to that for my Nokia 5230. Would the phone mentioned be bigger/smaller than my 5230?

SE Ray dimensions: 111 x 53 x 9.4 mm

5230 dimensions: 111 x 51.7 x 14.5/15.5 mm

So they're the exact same in height, width very similar too, the Ray is just thinner

Think you're on to a winner

SE Ray dimensions: 111 x 53 x 9.4 mm

5230 dimensions: 111 x 51.7 x 14.5/15.5 mm

So they're the exact same in height, width very similar too, the Ray is just thinner

Think you're on to a winner

I'll go take a look at it

In my hand!

20120209_133607.jpg

Bit of a dodgy picture quality I know, but maybe it can give you an idea of the size... I have small-medium size hands

I have small-ish hands too. I'll go to my local CW shop and try it.

In my hand!

20120209_133607.jpg

I have small-ish hands too. I'll go to my local CW shop and try it.

Cool. Good man

Cool. Good man

Sorry to be a pain in the ****, but could you post a pic of it with the screen lit up?? :D

Cool. Good man

Sorry to be a pain in the ****, but could you post a pic of it with the screen lit up?? :D

Ah Jesus man

:D

Give me a minute

20120209_160811.jpg

Take into account I took that with a pretty grainy (translate=sh**e) camera

20120209_160811.jpg

Take into account I took that with a pretty grainy (translate=sh**e) camera

Nice...............oh, and great song you got playing there too!!!!:D

• Advertisement

There ya go. Taken with a proper camera :p

P1011347.JPG

There ya go. Taken with a proper camera :p

P1011347.JPG

Very nice. Nice bright screen on it. I did a search for it on Carphone Warehouse site, but they don't have it there?

Unless I'm going blind?? :D

Just to reaffirm the above, its a good choice. I have the X10(Predecessor) and the OH has the Neo(?). The panel is gorgeous, touch screen is really responsive.

Some more questions(lol)

How good is the battery life? How long do you get from a full charge?

Also(lol), my Nokia 5230 used to keep unlocking itself and dialling numbers every time I put it back in my pocket(in the wallet), will I be able to lock the phone, and not fear it unlocking and dialling numbers on me....?

Some more questions(lol)

How good is the battery life? How long do you get from a full charge?

Also(lol), my Nokia 5230 used to keep unlocking itself and dialling numbers every time I put it back in my pocket(in the wallet), will I be able to lock the phone, and not fear it unlocking and dialling numbers on me....?

you'll be able to lock it fine, it won't unlock in your pocket. battery is a little above average for smartphones, but be aware that will be less than your nokia. using the internet (3g) and the screen are what will drain the battery the most, so you can save a bit by turning off 3g and lowering the screen brightness, if needs be. Alternatively you can get a portable battery charger, if you find you need one of those search for the threads started by myself, you'll find a link to one on amazon, that will give you a full 2+ charges on the go

you'll be able to lock it fine, it won't unlock in your pocket. battery is a little above average for smartphones, but be aware that will be less than your nokia. using the internet (3g) and the screen are what will drain the battery the most, so you can save a bit by turning off 3g and lowering the screen brightness, if needs be. Alternatively you can get a portable battery charger, if you find you need one of those search for the threads started by myself, you'll find a link to one on amazon, that will give you a full 2+ charges on the go

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................................? That's put a doubt in my mind now.:o

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................................? That's put a doubt in my mind now.:o

That's par for the course with smartphones mickey. You can't have it all. But I believe the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks. There's so much the phone can do. Awesome widgets,thousands of apps, GPS, so much more. And mine's a Heineken, I think I deserve one for all the advice :p

on the subject of 3G(?)

The screen on my Nokia 5230 has something on the top left handside - beside the clock that reads 3.5G. What does it mean? Would this be draining my battery?

How can I turn this off?

on the subject of 3G(?)

The screen on my Nokia 5230 has something on the top left handside - beside the clock that reads 3.5G. What does it mean? Would this be draining my battery?

How can I turn this off?

it probly means the network is connected to 3g. if you want it just connected to 2g (ie calls and texts) you should be able to change it, probly in your settings under network settings

• Advertisement

it probly means the network is connected to 3g. if you want it just connected to 2g (ie calls and texts) you should be able to change it, probly in your settings under network settings

Ta. I have been surfing the net on it, so that's why it's probably showing up as "3.5g"?

can't find it....?

Ta. I have been surfing the net on it, so that's why it's probably showing up as "3.5g"?

Exactly

Exactly

I edited my previous post as you were typing that.:D

Exactly

I edited my previous post as you were typing that.:D

I'm sure its under your settings somewhere, but I can't say exactly as I can't see the phone. When are you due your upgrade??

I'm sure its under your settings somewhere, but I can't say exactly as I can't see the phone. When are you due your upgrade??

They've approved it for me, so I can claim it now. Am going up either tonight or sometime over the weekend!!!:D

They've approved it for me, so I can claim it now. Am going up either tonight or sometime over the weekend!!!:D

Ah deadly. Its always nice getting a new phone. Hope you enjoy it

• Advertisement

Cheers. I got a missed call from a private number the other day - I wonder was it o2 trying to talk to me about stuff??

Cheers. I got a missed call from a private number the other day - I wonder was it o2 trying to talk to me about stuff??

Could have been..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The s2 is a great phone Mickey but the GPS is totally shQte on it. It can never tell you the exact location for a constant period. Superb phone otherwise though...

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The s2 is a great phone Mickey but the GPS is totally shQte on it. It can never tell you the exact location for a constant period. Superb phone otherwise though...

The Galaxy s2? I'm not going for that one. My bro has one and, while it's a nice phone, it's too big width wise and length wise.

I ended up going for the Samsung Galaxy Ace. :o:rolleyes:

Oh, and I got my Gold upgrade and switched to Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did you not try blagging a decent data allowance out of O2 and you a Gold customer Mickey??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Did you not try blagging a decent data allowance out of O2 and you a Gold customer Mickey??

Nah. Tbh, I was p***ed off with o2 and their absolutely s*** customer "service", so I decided to jump ship.

I got a cheaper deal anyway.

Right lads n lassies

I have a major problem on my hands(bear with me - this is a loooooooooooong story):

I got my new phone up in Carphone Warehouse on Saturday. Sales person transferred everything from my old phone onto my new phone(or so I thought??).

Went up to him earlier today, he checked it out for me - no photos on it. So, he suggested that I change to the SD card that he gave me with the phone. I have done that. But what I also(stupidly)did was:

I took out the Meteor SIM card and replaced it with my old 02 card(I was absolutely knackered). When I copped this, I took it out, and attempted to put back in the Meteor SIM(are ya still with me?). I had photographs of my late mother on the old phone, and I thought that the sales guy transferred them to the new phone(SIM), but they aren't there??

What I did was: I put back the Meteor SIM card without the little black holder it came with, and now it's stuck in the phone underneath where the camera lens is!!!??

Any tips for getting it out?

DERP!

Yeah, sims only store your phone number, network info and contacts. They have a very small memory.

Can you not see it if you pop the back off?

ED E wrote: »
    DERP!

Yeah, sims only store your phone number, network info and contacts. They have a very small memory.

Can you not see it if you pop the back off?

LOL thanks. I can just see the edge of it, yes. Have already tried to get it out using a paper clip, but it won't budge - it does wiggle around a little inside where it is, though?

try getting a pin and super glue. Dip the pin in the glue and then leave it sit on the sim(balance however needed) for an hour, then gently see if that'll pull it out.

Dont do this if you can only get at the metal contacts though.

ED E wrote: »
    try getting a pin and super glue. Dip the pin in the glue and then leave it sit on the sim(balance however needed) for an hour, then gently see if that'll pull it out.

Dont do this if you can only get at the metal contacts though.

OK ta.

One of the IT boffins where I work is going to take a look at and see if they can get it to come out....?

This'll learn me!!! :rolleyes::o

One of the IT boffins where I work is going to take a look at and see if they can get it to come out....?

This'll learn me!!! :rolleyes::o

No success:(. Back to the shop I go with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement