Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did the Cool Vids and Pics and Links subforum go?

• 09-02-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

Where did the Cool Vids and Pics and Links subforum go?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Here.

No longer a subforum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It got too big for its own boots and was chucked out.

Let that be a lesson to you...to ALL of you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

CV&P has come of age. It deserves to stand on its own to feet and call itself a man and not rely on its parent(s) (After Hours) any more. But rest assured, it'll probably come back to its daddy (After Hours) looking for support, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It grew up and AH wasn't interested anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

phasers wrote: »

Parental neglect, I call it. There was only one way it could go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Like all adult children. If they don't leave on their own when the time is right, they end up getting kicked out after much debate for the better for both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Rabies wrote: »
    Like all adult children. If they don't leave on their own when the time is right, they end up getting kicked out after much debate for the better for both parties.

:eek: Rabies, you're not a CMod anymore!

oddly enough you can only access it through the subforum menu option still

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Works fine on the beta skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

So the internet rumours that it is dead are not true??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh it's dead alright, dead cool that is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

:eek: Rabies, you're not a CMod anymore!

Eh?
    Never was.
    *dreams of power*
    Works fine on the beta skin.
    and on Cloud skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

What a sneak off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

OMG this is great news. So when I get perma banned from AH does that mean I can still access Cool Vids and Pics?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

OMG this is great news. So when I get perma banned from AH does that mean I can still access Cool Vids and Pics?? :)

Depends on what mood dr.b is in and his level of sobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

oh leaving after hours is it? fine! we'll make our own cool vids and pics and links forum, with blackjack! and hookers!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

FatherLen wrote: »
    oh leaving after hours is it? fine! we'll make our own cool vids and pics and links forum, with blackjack! and hookers!

In fact, forget the forum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Great it's moved thanks for letting us all know! Where is it?

Under Rec, like AH is, just a bit further down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

So when is that Irish sub-forum getting the boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Níl aon tinteán, mar do thinteán After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't like change... *sharpens hatchet* *hums*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Níl aon tinteán, mar do thinteán After Hours

This is Ireland. In Ireland we speak English!

:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

but but KYN should be in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

but but KYN should be in AH.
    she makes a good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I liked how it was so easily accessible from After Hours. Now I actually have to leave the forum to go look for it in a bigger list. Do you even realize how much energy that takes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I liked how it was so easily accessible from After Hours. Now I actually have to leave the forum to go look for it in a bigger list. Do you even realize how much energy that takes?
    This!

The effort of it all and using up precious band width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I don't like change... It scares me...
    I'm not allowed anything sharp..
    I like sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I think if it's out on its own now, it needs a catchier name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I agree.

What is the actual benefit of detaching it from AH? If anything it's probably going to decrease traffic to CVP&L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Wow. it's no longer a sub-forum of After Hours but now sub-forum of Collectables and Antiques

Can someone explain the logic of that?

It's still a sub forum but under Collectables and ANTIQUES

Is someone trying to say something?

Oblomov wrote: »
    Wow. it's no longer a sub-forum of After Hours but now sub-forum of Collectables and Antiques

am, no it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

That's a crazy statement. Crazy!
    Sinfonia wrote: »
    I think if it's out on its own now, it needs a catchier name.

Reddit +1 ?

FTGFOP wrote: »
    That's a crazy statement. Crazy!

Reddit +1 ?
    Reddit 2: Electric Boogaloo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Reddit 2: Electric Boogaloo

Reddit 2: Reddit Harder
    Reddit 2: Pig in the City
    Rereddit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I don't visit AH as much now. Most of the reason I came here was to open the CV&P subforum. AH isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be.

• Advertisement

I don't visit AH as much now. Most of the reason I came here was to open the CV&P subforum. AH isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be.
    We don't miss you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well, we get so many old reposts, some of them qualify as Collectables & Antiques! HA!

No, but seriously, we're not a sub-forum. We're a proper forum and can be found under Collectables & Antiques because of alphabetical order

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Why has know your nerds been unstickied?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Why has know your nerds been unstickied?

It is an After Hours thread that was shunted to Cool Vids when pics were banned from AH

There is no point in moving it back to AH and there is no need for it to be stickied in Cool Vids, if people post in it then it will survive but it shouldn't need to be stickied to do that

I have an aversion to stickies so removed it

You Laugh, You Lose isn't even stickied, and that is basically the main thread on the forum. Keeping the stickies down to the two needed for the Photoshop Competition and the Charter is just easier, tidier an makes more sense. We didn't lock KYN or anything though. People are still free to post their pics there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

later12 wrote: »
    I agree.

What is the actual benefit of detaching it from AH? If anything it's probably going to decrease traffic to CVP&L.

I havent really visited it at all since.

I havent really visited it at all since.

yeah it's so easily forgotten about now

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If the whole thing turns into a ghastly disaster we can get g'em to move everything back. I just have to buy an expensive enough bottle of wine.

When CVPL (Or cool visible panty lines) was originally under after hours it was there to separate the links to the more interesting side of the internet today from threads in after hours.
    When I started modding there it was pre-moderated.
    IE if you posted a thread there it had to be approved. So if you look over the threads made in there for months and months it was me or javaboy checking and approving each one. That process had huge delays. It sucked. It was tedious and nobody visited there. It's average number of posters was less than SFA.

It was an unloved subforum. A tumour that grew out of the bloat of AH. It was managed by AH mods alone and to be honest after hours is often enough to be worrying about.

Between 2008 and now certain things have changed. It stopped being pre-moderated. Photoshop competitions were started. Cool vids dedicated mods have been brought in because they understood the cool vids forum and were regulars there regardless of their AH input. People like frada and bondvillain and yekahs and the recliner and penn have come in and helped the forum grow as threads like you laugh you lose, photos that shook the world, countless photoshop comps etc. began to make the forum very very popular.

Memes have a new home now once they're shat out from reddit or 4 chan or digg or wherever else on the net people find them. Often they find them right here on boards.

It has become a very popular forum in its own right with its own demands and its own culture. It has a poster base which exists independently of after hours. We cool vids mods even have our own mods forum. In trout's words it is "all grown up and ready to leave the nest."
    So while it no longer exists as a linked sub-forum under AH, it is there, in rec in its own right and mostly things haven't changed.

This change right now might be the first time that many posters have noted a significant change but significant changes in the culture of that forum have been ongoing for years and years and basically ever since I started moderating after hours and cool vids.

Right now there are 135 or so active posters in cool vids... About a 5th of AH numbers right now. After hours represents statistically around 10% of boards as a whole so for a forum in rec to be doing that well is pretty good IMO.

I love that forum.

All us mods there love that forum. After years and years of pushing and pushing it has this stance now in rec on its own two feet and I think that that is deserved. If you're not checking in as much sub the forum up. There's always something new there. There's always something which will make you glad you checked it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Tl;DR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

It only looks like a sub-forum because the title isn't in bold. You'll notice the sub-forums have bullet points before them. Forums in bold are the forums with sub-forums in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Why are some forums written in bold and others not???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Why are some forums written in bold and others not???

That'd be forums with sub-forums attached, and categories such as Rec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It has a poster base which exists independently of after hours. We cool vids mods even have our own mods forum. In trout's words it is "all grown up and ready to leave the nest."
    When you say 'ready to leave the nest', what is the benefit of this decoupling?
    Right now there are 135 or so active posters in cool vids... About a 5th of AH numbers right now.
    Any idea what the typical user traffic would be on CVP&L before and after the move?

Inevitably AH users will tend to be the kind of user who enjoys CVP&L. And I'm not sure what the benefit of removing this sub-forum from the AHer's 'dashboard' could possibly be?

later12 wrote: »
    When you say 'ready to leave the nest', what is the benefit of this decoupling?

Any idea what the typical user traffic would be on CVP&L before and after the move?

Inevitably AH users will tend to be the kind of user who enjoys CVP&L. And I'm not sure what the benefit of removing this sub-forum from the AHer's 'dashboard' could possibly be?

CVPL was the dumping ground for pics, links and videos that weren't worth a full thread on After Hours, but gradually, CVPL has become so much more. The Photos Which Shook the World thread has been regularly called the best thread on Boards, and if I recall, some national radio DJ even mentioned it on his show. The Photoshop Competition has been mentioned by a national newspaper. YLYL is one of the most subscribed to threads on Boards, and the post of the day is usually a post from YLYL.

I'm sure most of the AH regulars are CVPL regulars too, as they are two of the top forums on Boards. But it just doesn't make sense to have CVPL as a sub-forum of AH when it hasn't had any real connection to it for quite some time. Sub-forums are supposed to be the same as the parent forum, but focused moreso on one particular aspect of the parent forum's topic. This doesn't happen between AH and CVPL. If AH is the parent forum of CVPL, then CVPL was adopted.

I don't know what the figures have been for traffic through the forums, but I haven't noticed any slowdown in CVPL, and I doubt any slowdown to either will last very long. If people want to see funny sh*t, we're still here.

Also, if people were banned from AH, they were also automatically banned from CVPL. Now that this is no longer the case, we could get more visitors to CVPL. So there's a plus right there.

Ok, most people will have noticed this now, unstickied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement