Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show us what you got!!

Options
  • 09-02-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

as above just out of curiosity and maybe give idea's to other people, if you can throw up pic's of your BOB,knives, survival gear &/or what ever you would keep for a survival situation or camping gear.

when i get home i will take photo's of mine and throw them up. its not complete but then again when is a BOB complete lol there is always stuff to add:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

And make sure you don't have geo-tagging if you want to keep your cache off the map! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

We have a thread for bug out bags here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056435301

So bug out bag specifics should go there.

Here is my Survival tin that rarely leaves me:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76294096&postcount=76

Here is my lightweight kit:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76428239&postcount=85

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

i dont really have a bag as such, just a stash of survival stuff for when the SHTF scenario comes about:D if mods want me to delete this topic and move my post elsewhere i have no problem with that:)

so here is my stash:D

HPIM1133.jpg

my emergency fishing kit
    HPIM1134.jpg

my knives and sharpener's, small LED light, compas.
    HPIM1135.jpg

flint and magnesium fire starter, balliclava for hunting. also cotton coated in vaseline(excellent for catching fire and burns for a good 3-4min)
    HPIM1136.jpg

part of my first aid kit:thermometer,lots of antiseptic dissinfectant,plasters,cotton,bandages and 60 vitamin C 1000mg tabs(extreemly good for keeping imune system in top condition and other benefits)
    HPIM1137.jpg

rest of my first aid kit: solpadol for sore throat/infection, arcoxia 120mg(prescription anti-inflamatory), melcam 15mg (prescription anti-inflam), diaphene 75mg(month supply). basic first aid kit bought in aldi. also i have my medication for chronic pain i suffer, zydol 100mg tabs (synthetic opiate) and Lyrica 100mg (nerve pain)
    HPIM1138.jpg

my knives for skinning and gutting game
    HPIM1139.jpg

my survival knife(excellent knife and will be getting a second one soon)
    HPIM1140.jpg

machete for cutting up game cutting threw big bones ect... carbide and ceramic knife sharpener, diamond knife sharpener course,medium,fine,super fine.
    HPIM1141.jpg

flint and magnesium fire starter again
    HPIM1142.jpg

cotton balls and vaseline(excellent fire starter + cheap )
    HPIM1143.jpg

everything i need for fishing in two small vitamin bottles and tin
    HPIM1144.jpg

another fishing set
    HPIM1145.jpg

balliclava for hunting and also keeps head and face warm hunting in winter months.
    HPIM1146.jpg

gloves, one thick warm set, one fingerless set and normal set.
    HPIM1150.jpg

overview of it all
    HPIM1148.jpg
    HPIM1149.jpg

my food stashbiggrin.gif
    HPIM1152.jpg
    HPIM1153.jpg
    HPIM1154.jpg
    HPIM1155.jpg
    HPIM1156.jpg
    HPIM1157.jpg
    HPIM1158.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

robdsherlock... you really are prepared ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

@robdsherlock, one thing that strikes me about your food supply (and combined with your "bug out" gear) is that it is heavily water dependant, but I see no water bottles and no way of getting clean drinking water? It may be something to consider (or you may already have that angle covered?).

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

@robdsherlock

Do you have a plan for rotating your food supply so it stays in date? How do you manage storage? Interesting topic to raise btw, thanks.

CamperMan wrote: »
    robdsherlock... you really are prepared ;-)

lol my girlfriend thinks so too, but i keep telling her there is more to get:D thankfully she doesn't think of me as a nut with all this stuff, she is quite understanding.
    i also have use to a over and under shotgun but i aint taking pictures of that for obvious reasons.

@tabnabs,
    yes you are correct, basicly everything is water dependant in there, i wouldn't call my water stash adaquate really for what i have, i just keep 6 2ltr bottles at all time while i use them for normal drinking. but that obviously wouldn't be enough for emergency.

that is something id like to address, also i have no way of making rain water or other water found to be drinkable, ie, purification tablets.
    anyone know where and how much these would be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Water purifiction tabs are cheap enough and easy to ger, any camping shop will have em! If your in an area with water, rivers/streams all you need to do is boil it before using it.

• Advertisement

that is something id like to address, also i have no way of making rain water or other water found to be drinkable, ie, purification tablets.
    anyone know where and how much these would be??

Rain water colllection...quick solution a tarp or sheet of clean plastic, angle it so it drips into a container...
    Longer term solution, rain water barrels on guttering.
    (presuming you can't dig a well or have a stream of whatever.)

Purification...tablets widely available in camping out door shops and online...but these should not be used continuously for more that three months, and cautions around pregnant women too...so only a temporary solution. Milton sterilizing fluid can also be used for this, read instructions carefully!

Using a rain barrel with sand filter and hypogeal layer is a longer term solution.

Some here posted about a great little filtration device not cheap but would get you and family through the worst probably, till you were settled somewhere with a decent well

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-bottle

Its on my 'love to have' list.

bonniebede wrote: »
    @robdsherlock

Do you have a plan for rotating your food supply so it stays in date? How do you manage storage? Interesting topic to raise btw, thanks.

yup i just checked everything yesterday and replaced a few things with what was in my normal food cabinate in the kitchen.
    i would check everything monthly or second month.
    i think the main thing to do is mainly use stuff that you would normally buy on a weekly shopping, then you can replace stuff that may be out of date in a few months with the stuff just bought recently.

i keep them in bags in the spare room, i have dehuminifyer's(spl) in the bags too but, ideally i would like to get airtight boxes for them. and maybe oxygen soluble packets to put in with it too as oxygen is the biggest food spoiler.

its by no means finished and perfect but thats why i made this thread so maybe people can show what they have and other people point out things that might improve their stash of suggest things, i dono, just thought were all in this forum because we all want to be prepared for whatever is throwin at us and we all get advise from one another:)

there is a shop near me actually, i may pop in and see if they have them.

sand filtration i have seen before too actually but would need boiling after too.:confused:

a river would be a pretty good cycle from me, maybe a 15min drive so the rain water barrel would prob be the better choice for me.

rain is fairly plentyfull here in this country lol

yup i just checked everything yesterday and replaced a few things with what was in my normal food cabinate in the kitchen.
    i would check everything monthly or second month.
    i think the main thing to do is mainly use stuff that you would normally buy on a weekly shopping, then you can replace stuff that may be out of date in a few months with the stuff just bought recently.

i keep them in bags in the spare room, i have dehuminifyer's(spl) in the bags too but, ideally i would like to get airtight boxes for them. and maybe oxygen soluble packets to put in with it too as oxygen is the biggest food spoiler.

its by no means finished and perfect but thats why i made this thread so maybe people can show what they have and other people point out things that might improve their stash of suggest things, i dono, just thought were all in this forum because we all want to be prepared for whatever is throwin at us and we all get advise from one another:)

Exactly right, thats what I love about this, I have picked up so many useful tips, or been made to think about things in other ways.:)

Airtight boxes... try googling suppliers of plastic food buckets, they can be useful

something like this

http://www.aicplasticpallets.com/ProductViewer.aspx?cat=70f13692-0fd9-416f-a63c-dcdf51132695&prod=16

and there are various techniques for stroing grain long term with CO2 yuo could consider.

With respect to multiplying what you already use, that is a sensible approach. One problem is however that there is no way I would eat a diet of tinned food or a grain based diet in normal circumstances... so there is a limited amount of overlap between my normal diet and my planned survival diet.Not that it contqains things I don't eat... like I do like porridge and include it in my prepping storage. but it is too high carb for my eating plan at the moment. Also things like sugar which have a great long shelf life will be very valuable as a calorie supplement, but for obvious reasons I try and limit my intake now.

I think the best part of my strategy is to try to grow the crops I do eat now, so that if I had to I would know how to do it, and have a seed bank to start from.

That includes growing potatoes, so that i build up a store of seed potatoes. I don;t eat spuds at the mo, but they are an obvious survival planting, but not if you don;t have seed.

that would be very usefull thanks:)

i never thought of sugar!! one to add to the list:D
    yes also some stuff i wouldn't be eating every week either and may go stale but the most of my food here are bought in aldi so replacing them aint too expensive.
    the likes of canned food, most of the cans i looked at yesterday had expiry date of 2016, so still a while to go and i also would eat the canned fish fairly regulary.

last season i have grown my own veg garden but this year i havent, mainly because of my back, i have chronic back pain and it was really hard to do things. but i stuck it out for a year and was able to feed myself for a while off it so i was happy enough with that. if i had the choice i would do it again this year and try improve myself but that is not happening:(
    also i did keep some seeds in case i ever need to restart it again:)

bonniebede wrote: »

Some here posted about a great little filtration device not cheap but would get you and family through the worst probably, till you were settled somewhere with a decent well

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-bottle

Its on my 'love to have' list.

nice but these are much cheaper Sport Berkey® Purification Bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Good tip on the sugar as it's always useful to have for both flavouring and keeping up calories. Another useful thing to keep is honey. I'm not it's biggest fan by a long stretch, but it's a lot healthier than sugar and, if stored correctly, has NO SHELF LIFE!
    I read recently that honey was found in a pharaoh's tomb in Egypt that was roughly 300 years old and would still be perfectly edible and healthy.
    Definitely keeping my eye out for one of those purification bottles, as my long-term plan is to collect rain water, but you never know where you might need to purify too.

In all honesty I have very little stocked up, but definitely find this forum great for ideas and inspiration on where to go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

@Robdsherlock I freaking love that machete!

I also like how you have 1 pack of Koka noodles in there for a special occasion, the post apocalyptic version of a bottle of champagne :)

here in Germany, you can get large 800 gram can of soup for 69 cent.. so we have plenty of them stocked up just in case ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

CamperMan wrote: »
    here in Germany, you can get large 800 gram can of soup for 69 cent.. so we have plenty of them stocked up just in case ;-)

Thats a interesting point, in Germany you can buy many 800g cans like goulash soup from even the smallest stores. I dont think I have seen a 800g can in Ireland in normal super markets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

krissovo wrote: »
    Thats a interesting point, in Germany you can buy many 800g cans like goulash soup from even the smallest stores. I dont think I have seen a 800g can in Ireland in normal super markets.

Lidl normally have something along those lines but afaik bigger cans and much much more expensive. Tried one a while back for lunch, it was OK but not great and I decided that with the cost it wasn't a good item to stock up on as I could get more "calories" for less money and wouldn't really want to go eating them to keep a date rotation going.

krissovo wrote: »

I think they do 1600g cans here

Once again I was wrong, the cans are wider and shorter but are 500g - Pork Goulash.

Found it here http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-4CB2A90B-20166111/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/4182_18103.htm normally €2.99 can't work out when the offer I googled is/was?

IE_4785wk07_01_b.jpg

Update:15/2/12 just noticed that this 2euro offer is on this week. Checked the best before dates on these and they were all xx/10/14 so good to store for at least 2 & half years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭whippetgood

omg. all i've got in prep is a chicken coop, 2 hens and an eggs recipe book!!!!

omg. all i've got in prep is a chicken coop, 2 hens and an eggs recipe book!!!!

I can offer a free cockrel if you want to up your game a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

For food storage ive got about 4 weeks supply can make it last longer if i really need to No pictures as yet but here is the list

12 mixed boxes of breakfast cereal
    20 liters of uht milk

40 mixed cans of mixed grill, all day breakfast, beans, peas, sweetcorn
    Ive a large chest freezer with mince meat, bags of chicken breast peices, burgars, fish ect...
    40 mixed packets of curry, pasta bake, soups, shepards pie

20 mixed packets of biscuts, crackers
    tins of tuna chocolate spread jam
    tea coffee (forgot the sugar until i seen this)
    20 mixed 2lt Minerals
    Junk food crisps chocolate ect
    40 5lt bottles of water
    3 55 gallon drums for rain water
    Going to get some packets of scone / bread mix as they seem to have longer dates on them

grapeape wrote: »
    For food storage ive got about 4 weeks supply can make it last longer if i really need to No pictures as yet but here is the list

12 mixed boxes of breakfast cereal
    20 liters of uht milk

40 mixed cans of mixed grill, all day breakfast, beans, peas, sweetcorn
    Ive a large chest freezer with mince meat, bags of chicken breast peices, burgars, fish ect...
    40 mixed packets of curry, pasta bake, soups, shepards pie

20 mixed packets of biscuts, crackers
    tins of tuna chocolate spread jam
    tea coffee (forgot the sugar until i seen this)
    20 mixed 2lt Minerals
    JunkMorale boosting food crisps chocolate ect
    40 5lt bottles of water
    3 55 gallon drums for rain water
    Going to get some packets of scone / bread mix as they seem to have longer dates on them

fyp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

fyp :D
    Dumb ass question whats fyp:o
    Also making up some tool kits ie
    pocket tool kit
    pack tool kit
    House tool kit
    any ideas on these please

grapeape wrote: »
    Dumb ass question whats fyp:o