Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show us what you got!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

grapeape wrote: »
    Dumb ass question whats fyp:o
    Also making up some tool kits ie
    pocket tool kit
    pack tool kit
    House tool kit
    any ideas on these please

Lidl have still got their 125piece tool kit for €59.99 that comes in its own plastic storage box. While its more of a mechnics (car) tool kit it has a lot of basics including some plumbing type tools and is very good quality for the money, a mate bought one a couple of years back and its still going strong. Good starting point for a house hold tool kit, add a hammer, hacksaw and woodsaw to cover a few more eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Folks,
    Just my 2cents worth.In the long run you are better off buying LESS tools of better quality than alot of tools of shoddy quality.EG Lidil socket sets.
    I wouldnt let them near anything like my car.Simple reason is the heat treating ,if at all there... In a socket can cause the steel to shatter under pressure and cause injury to you.When you get a set of extreme mashed knuckles off an engine block,etc you wil know what I mean,when a Lidil socket wrench ratchet mechanism failed on me once.:eek:

I wont buy anything now but Gedore,Sealy or Dargan for heavy work[which is what a car is going to be anyway] I've busted up too many screw heads with shoddy screwdrivers,that I spent over 50euros on a good set of screwdrivers.
    Even hammers or saws or pliers,etc.
    Nothing worse than cheap tools failing at a critical moment. "Vice grips " made in China /Pakistan are notorious for this.Worse they damage the item you are working on.:mad:
    Buy a brand name that a pro uses who makes his/her living from their hand tools.None of them would be found dead with Lidil stuff.They will onlly buy the power tools because of the grauentee of replacement or for the "dump factor" IOW bought for a very rough job ,that if it is broken after the job.. dump it!
    FWIW Id go to a motor factors and order the basic SEALEY[industry standard] DIY mechanics kit.
    www.sealey.co.uk
    Its about 80 /100 euros.But it is ,if you look after the stuff a once off life purchase.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Its a good point about quality Grizz but the last tools I bought in Lidl were Dutch made and sound quality.

That would be good to hear Doc...What were they??
    I know their electrical tools can be product overruns,over stock from the likes of Bosch ,etc,rebranded under their Parkside brand.
    Guess once bitten twice shy in my case.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Well generally I'm a believer in you get what you pay for, nobody spends the best part of €500 on a Caledonian Edge folding knife from Cold Steel (now a collectors item) without understanding that, but that's a core piece of kit. Knife, rope, firemaking equipment, everything else I can work out by myself.

With that said, I picked up a shovel and pitchfork from Lidl a while back and they've been doing trojan work so far. Likewise if you recall I put an end to a door a few weeks ago using a Lidl axe-hammer multitool, Dutch made and solid, which goes with the European brand. I suspected they might be overruns alright. I'm impressed with the value you can get from these items. Their hexi stoves were wobbly but I'd provisionally trust any load bearing tools they sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Was lucky enough to put a nice tool kit together, KLANN and Gedore make up the most of it like screw drivers, pliers, half inch socket set and a few torx sets. Toped off with a couple of genuine vice grips and there is not much i cant do with it on the car and thats only limited by me. All kept in a stanley fatmax waterproof toolbox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive picked up alot of the Workzone tools from Aldi hand and power now i dont use them daily or anything like it but they havent let me down as yet and they are alot cheaper than the main brands. If like myself you only do basic DIY id recommend them

pocket tool kit
    pack tool kit
    House tool kit
    any ideas on these please[/QUOTE]
    What I ment by this was I want to make
    an EDC tool kit
    a BOB tool kit
    and the house tool kit for when SHTF ie hand tools like the old hand drills and stuff like that back to basics kit

This is a small tool kit i carry for airsoft
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/19739587@N07/6898664314/in/photostream
    just to give an idea of what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

grapeape wrote: »
    pocket tool kit
    pack tool kit
    House tool kit
    any ideas on these please
    What I ment by this was I want to make
    an EDC tool kit
    a BOB tool kit
    and the house tool kit for when SHTF ie hand tools like the old hand drills and stuff like that back to basics kit[/QUOTE]

How back to basics do you want to go with your SHTF kit? I keep a lot of stuff for green woodworking, like bill hooks, weird axes and even an adze but they won't help if you want to knock up some from of modified plumbing.

If you use tools now then just take a look at what you use power tools for and find suitable alternatives. Some examples

Router - Rebate plane and chisiels
    Electric Screwdriver - Hand Brace - great torque
    Electric Drill - Hand drill and Hand Brace
    Angle grinder when used for cutting thin metal sheet - Tin snips, aircraft snips and or sheet metal nibbler.
    Angle grinder used to cut thicker metal - hacksaw
    Angle grinder used for grinding - files
    etc

• Advertisement

More importantly ..You have to PRACTISE alot with these old tools to be proficent with them.:),as well as keeping a supply of tools to maintain those tools.
    IE tooth setters for a handsaw or crosscut.Would anyone know how to sharpen a crosscut or handsaw anymore ??That was a job in itself done by a "saw doctor"[Not the band from Galway!:)]
    A specific lost skillset/profession with the advance of chainsaws and throwaway handsaws.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

tooth setters for a handsaw or crosscut.Would anyone know how to sharpen a crosscut or handsaw anymore ??That was a job in itself done by a "saw doctor

Croppyboy of this parish knows how to restore old saws, as seen in this thread! Makes a lovely job of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64958267

I could have a go with my file sets and a template, would be much easier with the proper kit though. Tooth cutter that can be set for tooth per inch and some tooth setting pliers, must keep an eye around car boot sales and farmers yards. :D

My auld lad was a building contractor all his life. Think he'd loan me his good tools? :eek:

His DeWalt kit is good and all, but a Big Yankee pump action screwdriver is pretty old school, and he won't be parted from it!
    Cordless drivers and nail guns vs. 24oz. Stanley hammer and elbow grease.

One will still work even when there's no electric grid about...

Advertisement