Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement boiler costs / grant value

Options
  • 09-02-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a house, and the boiler was nicked by the previous owners. I've been pricing a new one and getting vastly different prices.

I spoke to the company (N Ireland) who did the original installation in the house and they quoted me £1350 to replace the boiler and get the system back on track. I didn't check with him yet what kind of boiler he's on about though.

Also spoke to a local fella who was going to install a high efficiency condensing boiler to qualify for the grant etc but he has quoted me €4400! That is also including the heating controls etc.

How much are the grants for the boiler and heating controls? Is it worth paying nearly 3 times the price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Also, would I even qualify for the grant? Is it not for upgrading old boilers with high efficiency condensing ones? I'm not strictly speaking replacing a boiler as I don't currently have one! And the one that was there was only about 7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just bought a house, and the boiler was nicked by the previous owners. I've been pricing a new one and getting vastly different prices.

I spoke to the company (N Ireland) who did the original installation in the house and they quoted me £1350 to replace the boiler and get the system back on track. I didn't check with him yet what kind of boiler he's on about though.

Also spoke to a local fella who was going to install a high efficiency condensing boiler to qualify for the grant etc but he has quoted me €4400! That is also including the heating controls etc.

How much are the grants for the boiler and heating controls? Is it worth paying nearly 3 times the price?

Full details here:

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/What_Grants_Are_Available/

Another idea; would you not get onto the estate agent and/or solicitor and see what the story is with the boiler being removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Another idea; would you not get onto the estate agent and/or solicitor and see what the story is with the boiler being removed?

House was bought "as is", I knew this was the situation. Got the first quote before we bought, second one I had to chase the guy a bit but didn't expect such a jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had a condenser boiler installed nearly 3 years ago and also got the walls pumped/attic insulated and with a combination of all 3 I have noticed a considerable drop in the amount of oil I was using.

Regardless of a grant the additional cost for a condenser boiler will probably be saved over a 4 - 5 year period so look on it as an investment.

With regards to the difference in the prices I would advise getting the quotes based on the same work and the same boiler and stats etc.

Advertisement