Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Liability of Company re criminal matter

• 09-02-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help me on a matter...

-Company A makes an official Garda Complaint about Company B re theft of property belonging to Company A.

- Garda happy to apply for warrant to seize property in question but

-if no evidence of theft found...could Company A be liable in a civil context for loss of business to Company B or falsely making allegations even though acting in good faith as an injured party and not maliciously??

Would any possible suit be against Company A or the authorites?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Most unlikely. The communication with the garda would be privileged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ericdogg

Cheers thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

ericdogg wrote: »
    -if no evidence of theft found...could Company A be liable in a civil context for loss of business to Company B or falsely making allegations even though acting in good faith as an injured party and not maliciously??

Would any possible suit be against Company A or the authorites?

Nope, Nope and Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Nope, Nope and Nope.

In fairness now I wouldn't be so quick to say never. Obviously we don't and wont have enough detail here to make a judgement but is quite possible (depending on a range of factors) to sue a person making a malicious prosecution where damage is sustained.

It is also possible to sue the State for the Garda's actions again depending on a factors such as reasonableness and indeed having the requisite proof to obtain a warrant and as well I would look at how that warrant was executed.

The onus is quite high on the plaintiff however.

OP I would say if you have concerns speak with a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

OP's question specifically stated that Company A acted in good faith without malice. That being assumed to be so the answer to the hypothetical is correct (sorry that sounds very stuffy).

I'm assuming from what he says that Company A can demonstrate the reasonable grounds for its complaint.

If this relates to a real world situation and words like 'malicious prosecution' and 'frivolous complaint' and 'only did it to ruin our business' are being tossed around yup go to a solicitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement