Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMM Programming/ questions

Options
  • 09-02-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering about co-ordinate measuring machines. Are they programmed using just hard language (i.e. C++) or is it more software based similar to SolidCam in Solidworks?

Are there training courses available in Ireland? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dara2009

I don't think theres courses in Ireland. Recently I was sent on 5 day course with Mitutoyo in Coventry (MCOSMOS CNC Basic) which covered running and programming a CMM.

The Programming software is fairly straightforward. In my company, our machine was idle for about 2 years, and no-one could run or program it! On returning after the course I was able to create programs for various parts. Running programs is fine, any operator can do it, but with programming theres a few tips and shortcuts. Its a great machine to have in use, often I have to check PCD of holes or distances between hole centres, impossible without it.

I would recommend the course, it probably could have been squeezed to 3 days, but its very thorough. You get a CMM to work with from the get go, and the facilities are excellent. Although theres better places to visit then coventry...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Dara2009 wrote: »
    I don't think theres courses in Ireland. Recently I was sent on 5 day course with Mitutoyo in Coventry (MCOSMOS CNC Basic) which covered running and programming a CMM.

The Programming software is fairly straightforward. In my company, our machine was idle for about 2 years, and no-one could run or program it! On returning after the course I was able to create programs for various parts. Running programs is fine, any operator can do it, but with programming theres a few tips and shortcuts. Its a great machine to have in use, often I have to check PCD of holes or distances between hole centres, impossible without it.

I would recommend the course, it probably could have been squeezed to 3 days, but its very thorough. You get a CMM to work with from the get go, and the facilities are excellent. Although theres better places to visit then coventry...

Hi Dara, do you mind me asking how expensive the course was?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dara2009

I never actually got a price, work booked it. Mitutoyo give quotes for the courses if you contact them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alanjames

I was checking the same thing about cmm courses. i found that dcu on collins avenue have a course. i didn't check out anything about it with them, a link popped up when i checked.

[EMAIL="e-mail.....info@cse.dcu.ie"]e-mail.....info@cse.dcu.ie[/EMAIL] for more about it.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rolrocket

is there a book or books on mcosmos (mitutoyo) software programming lang?

• Advertisement
Advertisement