Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To people who give LC Grinds... (Math, Physics)

• 09-02-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm interested in giving LC grinds in Maths & Physics. I have a first class honors degree in Physics and math has never been too difficult for me.

I was hoping to get some feedback from others who give grinds.

I find that there is HUGE amount of material to know for the LC Higher Level Maths.
    Would you know ALL of it, or would you revise a chapter or two before each grinds session with a student?
    How do you approach a situation where you cannot answer the question that comes up (however unlikely :p)?
    I did my LC in 2007. I understand there is a new element called Project Maths, some applied statistics etc. Is there new material I should be aware of?

I haven't given grinds before so I'm just a bit apprehensive! Cheers folks! :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

Since your not a teacher most people will look over hiring you unless you charge less than average. Teachers may not have the same maths knowledge as you but they are more familiar with the Leaving.

I doubt you'd have the same problems trying to teach physics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are plenty of after schools study classes for kids who are always looking for volunteers.

I would advise you to volunteer for one and when you have some experience with those kids then charge other people. You'll soon find out whether you're suited to giving grinds or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Joza

Well I'm struggling to find work since graduation, I was hoping to use it to make ends meet.

I'm just kind of put off by the size of the math syllabus!

Advertisement