Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music pet peeves

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

LH Pathe wrote: »
    can appreciate but to affiliate with wholly contrasting things to me means being into nothing in particular

Why should someone have to restrict themselves to one particular genre? That makes very little sense to me. It's not a matter of identity by any means, the music you listen to doesn't define you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't think it's impossible to be into two wholly different areas of music. Personally, I can't stand dance, techno or pop style music, and I love metal, but if someone likes a combination of those, then that's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Denny M wrote: »
    I don't think it's impossible to be into two wholly different areas of music. Personally, I can't stand dance, techno or pop style music, and I love metal, but if someone likes a combination of those, then that's fine too.

I tend to agree, there are people who have a wide range of tastes and fair play to them, but I think everyone has a preference for what genres they listen to most. I'm not ashamed to say that yes, I barely listen to classical music even though I play it. I'd rather listen to Fight Song by Marilyn Manson than Mozart because I identify with the atmosphere in the song more. I don't care if that marks me out as a musical luddite (because I know I'm not). But I am comfortable admitting that I listen mostly to two genres, rock and metal, even though I will occassionally dip into different genres like rap, classical and funk and some dance, specifically The Prodigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

You can definitely be a rock and disco fan. I'm a massive fan of metal and a huge fan of pop. I would listen to Between the Buried and Me one minute and throw on a Britney tune the next, and enjoy each song equally. Not that Britney can really be considered 'disco' but you get my point.

As for music pet peeves, I hate songs that don't make an effort to have distinct melodies or sounds that make them unique. Songs that sound like the writer didn't even try... genericism I suppose.

Insta-quoted for truth. The man has a point! Latter day Britney is nothing to be sniffed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

specifically The Prodigy.

But the prodigy is like the doors everyone has a fondness for em regardless. even though we know they're naff not even I will go against the grain on that

.. what I fear is scanger by image, apparent rocker at heart. Or both yet just looks skanger cos that's all I see. let's get a townie/banger war going again and reclaim the streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I tend to agree, there are people who have a wide range of tastes and fair play to them, but I think everyone has a preference for what genres they listen to most. I'm not ashamed to say that yes, I barely listen to classical music even though I play it. I'd rather listen to Fight Song by Marilyn Manson than Mozart because I identify with the atmosphere in the song more. I don't care if that marks me out as a musical luddite (because I know I'm not). But I am comfortable admitting that I listen mostly to two genres, rock and metal, even though I will occassionally dip into different genres like rap, classical and funk and some dance, specifically The Prodigy.

Agreed, I listen specifically to Rock and Metal and most of their genres. But I occassianly dip into artists/bands from other genres like Radiohead and The Prodigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

to drop in 2c on the metal v dance topic and stuff like that .......
    metal was my first musical love and seldom a day passes without me listening to some metal and I'm happy to have a son who's grown up loving metal too. Result. At the same time, I've worked almost full time in the area of beatless ambient electronic music for 20+ years and also absolutely love techno. I've never had a problem resolving metal + ambient + techno.

As an interesting (to me anyway) coincidence, I performed at a major ambient music festival in France last year in company with some artists who's music I'd happily have bought in the past. One night we sat around talking about the music we listen to when not working. In every case the answer was metal. For the some it was black metal (an easy jump from ambient for obvious reasons), for me it was death metal. The artist's after-party was an all metal affair. Similar thing happened at a dance music festival I played in Transylvania a few weeks later.

In the last few years I've become good friends with some of the folks on the electronic music forum. A few of them enjoy metal as well. In no case would anyone suggest that if you like techno you can't like metal or any such self limiting expression.

I reckon if you love music you'll be open to what comes your way and decide then if it's for you or not. My pet peeve is intolerance when it comes to music.

All just personal experience and not saying it works for everyone nor would I suggest it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

If anyone can enjoy old-school grind as much as classical, or ambient techno as much as underground indie rock without missing a beat then the more power to them. They are a rare example of a true music fan and something that I strive to be.

This idea of only listening to one or the other is a load of bull. It's okay if you're a teenager and you want to fit in somewhere and share an identity. But if you're 30 years old, all you're listening to is metal and you are still holding onto the same identity you've had since your teens you are seriously missing out on so much great music and growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Like I say can appreciate, but not affiliate its the usurping of honest hands-on musicality by way of computers grates with me, and modern digital methods of recording particularly with the rave > hip op crowd n how that profoundly changed society for the worse so much I put up my walls n became a strictly oldskool analogue man. The only music of today I'll tolerate is via live performance, for various reasons but that's one - bn through just about everything am currently immersed in the techno punk analog electro of the 80s the general underground of that time is the most productive original edgy and intelligent in history in my assessment, even read it as 'scientific evidence' in a paper recently hmm.. we need to believe the musical scientists!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Chavez

Riddle101 wrote: »
    (1)Songs with long intro- I hate songs that have those long intros before the song actually starts to begin. An example would be Damage Inc by Metallica. The intro to it goes on for about over a minute, and I just think it's unnessary and too long. 10 seconds is all you need, then just f*cking start the song.

I only hate this when I'm driving. I love it other than that. I just wanna bloody sing when I'm driving...so start already!
    (2)Songs that just repeat the same sound over and over- There's one particular song that Courtney Love sings. Can't remember the name, but the song just has her singing the same lyrics over and over, and the sound dosen't change. It's almost like listening to a song that constantly repeats after 10 seconds. I'm not a fan of Courtney but listening to it was mind numblingly boring. I think there are some others song like it too, where it just dosen't change.

I do believe this is a track called Doll Parts by Hole? It's overly repetitive but I think it's pretty :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement