Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture etc for rental place

Options
  • 09-02-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Tenant moved out and now I have to make the place into a palace for someone other nobody to live there free under the RAS scheme.

Was wondering can anyone recommend somewhere I could go to get beds, couches and tables that are decent but cheap?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi there,

Tenant moved out and now I have to make the place into a palace for someone other nobody to live there free under the RAS scheme.

Was wondering can anyone recommend somewhere I could go to get beds, couches and tables that are decent but cheap?

Thanks

Super Savers up in Tycor industrial estate. Thomas is the mans easy to deal with and with very good prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can I just point out one thing, the RAS scheme isnt free for the tenant, a relation of mine lives in a RAS house and pays rent every week.

Actually, can you clarify what you mean by someone other nobody to live there free?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Hi there,

Thanks

How rude and illiterate you are. Waterford has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the country and to describe people who are struggling financially as 'someone other nobody' sic is disgraceful. You should be grateful that such a scheme exists to pay your mortgage for you. I also doubt your idea of 'decent but cheap' would represent most people's image of palatial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Hi there,

Thanks

You sound just like one of the nightmare landlords that are out there these days. Have a think about the amount of people laid off in Waterford recently. I lost my job in TalkTalk, Had been in employment and paying tax since I was 16 and if I was needing assistance under the RAS you'd look down on me an assume I was a sponger.

God help whoever is unlucky enough to rent from you. Be decent and give a full deposit back when they move out and don't try and screw them over like most landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I's not take it personally. Landlords like this usually have little respect for anyone regardless of income. Bottom feeders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

What is ras scheem i heard about this b4 i taught council had to buy your house first or pay morgage for number of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

shebzie wrote: »
    What is ras scheem i heard about this b4 i taught council had to buy your house first or pay morgage for number of years
    rent allowance scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

They don't pay all your mortgage. One of the girls is paying 160 a month for her house that she rented out on the ras scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

seanybiker wrote: »
    They don't pay all your mortgage. One of the girls is paying 160 a month for her house that she rented out on the ras scheme.

Really I was under the impression that the home owner gets 650 a month into their account (depending on the property size/type etc Im sure the figure differs)

I suppose if the mortgage was more than that you would have to contribute, makes sense really

Just for some reason I thought the council were paying the full mortgage!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Micheal Crowe in Johnstown has excellent furniture at good price's,I got a great deal on a bed there before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Thanks for the tips, must check them out.

Me a bad landlord? Look until you start renting out a place please hold off critising me because I am just sick of dealing with tenants who have no respect for other's goods. Obviously not all are bad but I would say the majority are and if you deal with people who let in other countries you will hear that it is an Irish thing. Lack of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Me a bad landlord? Look until you start renting out a place please hold off critising me because I am just sick of dealing with tenants who have no respect for other's goods. Obviously not all are bad but I would say the majority are and if you deal with people who let in other countries you will hear that it is an Irish thing. Lack of respect.

My only problem was that you referred to tenants as 'some(one) other nobody'. This is highly disrespectful and a generalisation. For me a 'nobody' is someone who put their welfare of their family at risk through trying to be a somebody and buying four houses that they could ill afford. The same person then has the cheek to ask through boards.ie how to have his mortgageS written off while simultaneously having the cheek to criticise the very people who are helping him pay them.

I am not on an RAS scheme but as a taxpayer would much rather see my taxes used to house those who cannot afford housing than to write off the debt of a failed property speculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 caroline32

ras in not rent allowance scheme, its rental acommodation scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

You are RUDE. To tar everyone with the same brush? shame on you. Thank god I don't rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

You could try Trotters Independent Traders in by the park in town. Their in the unit Maison Cheateau occupied. It's second hand stuff but you could furnish a house pretty cheap. Renting out a house is tough going at the minute. On my street, an unfortunate landlord rented out his house to what he thought was a genuine tenant. She then passed the keys straight to someone else who was known as a trouble maker. Without getting in to too much detail, no rent was paid, house was damaged and the landlord ultimately had to give them a cash incentive to get them out. The alternative was to wait a year for it to be heard by the PRTB

Advertisement