Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Experience in Longford Arms Hotel

Options
  • 09-02-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

I was on the phone to my boyfriend on Tuesday night. He was staying in the Longford Arms Hotel. During the call, he mentioned that the curtains were moving and he checked the window which wasn't open and he couldn't really feel a draft with his hand. That in itself isn't that weird, I'll give ya that. Shortly after he said that his lampshade was moving. I thought he meant swaying, as if a breeze had caught it, but he said that it was very jerky, in that it would slowly rise, hold, and then drop again in a non-swift movement.

I told him not to worry about it, I'm sure there was a good explanation etc. Oh I should mention he said that when he had come back into his room that evening after work he could see the remnants of steam in the bathroom, which he thought odd seeing a he hadn't been there all day.

Now, he came home last night and he told me that the night before he had been woken up at about 3am because the radiator was making a banging noise (it had done this the previous night too even though it was turned off). He said he got up to hit the radiator, to calm it down or whatever, and realised he was looking out the window, i.e. the curtains were open. I don't know about ye but I know him and myself even would never ever sleep in a room with open curtains. He definitely had closed the curtains and now they were open.

Next, he noticed that his laptop lid was down. He specifically remembers that when he shut down his laptop it had to do updates and he wanted to go to bed, so he left the lid up. Also, he said the bathroom door was wide open even though he's pretty sure he had closed it (again, wouldn't like the idea of an open door).

He'll be staying there again tonight and I'll report back if anything else strange happens. I'm just wondering has anyone here got an explanation or has anyone stayed there and had a similar experience? I don't know how he's going back there, I'd be ****ting it :eek:!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'd be bricking it too. Can't really explain the lamp shade or the curtains (unless that was a draft). But could it be the cleaners that would have left something running or the curtains open and closed the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    During the call, he mentioned that the curtains were moving and he checked the window which wasn't open and he couldn't really feel a draft with his hand.
    You'd be amazed at how much movement can be caused by a puff of air that can hardly be felt.
    Shortly after he said that his lampshade was moving. I thought he meant swaying, as if a breeze had caught it, but he said that it was very jerky, in that it would slowly rise, hold, and then drop again in a non-swift movement.
    Hmmm, would probably need to see it. Shame he didn't take a video. Again, I'd suspect it was caused by a draft
    Oh I should mention he said that when he had come back into his room that evening after work he could see the remnants of steam in the bathroom, which he thought odd seeing a he hadn't been there all day.
    Condensation is caused by temperature difference between the room and the window pane; even if no one had used the shower the fact that the room is warmer than outside, through central heating, would cause condensation.
    Now, he came home last night and he told me that the night before he had been woken up at about 3am because the radiator was making a banging noise (it had done this the previous night too even though it was turned off).
    I'd suspect a problem with the central heating. Bleeding the radiators would be the first step. Any amount of air in the system can cause banging in the pipes.
    He said he got up to hit the radiator, to calm it down or whatever, and realised he was looking out the window, i.e. the curtains were open. I don't know about ye but I know him and myself even would never ever sleep in a room with open curtains. He definitely had closed the curtains and now they were open.

Next, he noticed that his laptop lid was down. He specifically remembers that when he shut down his laptop it had to do updates and he wanted to go to bed, so he left the lid up.
    It's possible that he opened the curtains in his sleep, people do crazy things if they sleepwalk, especially in an unfamiliar place. The laptop could be the same thing, or he may just have absentmindedly closed it out of habit and not realised.
    Also, he said the bathroom door was wide open even though he's pretty sure he had closed it (again, wouldn't like the idea of an open door).
    For that I'd suspect a crappy lock and uneven hinges.

All in all, it sounds like a fairly crappy hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'd be bricking it too. Can't really explain the lamp shade or the curtains (unless that was a draft). But could it be the cleaners that would have left something running or the curtains open and closed the laptop?

No no, I stopped talking to him about 1.30, then he went to bed and woke up a couple of hours later, I don't think any hotel has cleaners clean in the dead of the night :)
    kylith wrote: »

It's possible that he opened the curtains in his sleep, people do crazy things if they sleepwalk, especially in an unfamiliar place. The laptop could be the same thing, or he may just have absentmindedly closed it out of habit and not realised.

I've been living with him for the past two years, spent lots of time away with him and never once has he sleep-walked! So I really would doubt that that's what happened. Everything else is valid enough.
    kylith wrote: »
    All in all, it sounds like a fairly crappy hotel.

You wouldn't believe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Did anything else happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

C'mon there has to be an update on this . . . . no???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I heard they found a videotape......

.......coming Fall 2012. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Sorry about the delay, ghost stole our internet :P Ah no, nothing happened last thursday night that was of note, and he hasn't been staying in the hotel since. However, he's back there tonight and I've told him to take pictures/videos of anything strange. I don't want anything bad to happen, and I don't want him to be scared but I still kinda want something to happen :D So I'll let ye know how it goes when I hear myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    He was staying in the Longford Arms Hotel.

Out of everything you said, this is possibly the strangest.

But on a more serious note, banging radiators is common in older buildings.

Steam in bathroom? Cleaner.

The other stuff?

I'd have told my other half to hang up and record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Xcellor wrote: »

I'd have told my other half to hang up and record it.

Good Luck! I would of gotten me sleeping bag and moved out in the lobby for the night!

Advertisement