Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other parent's children "hooked" on Moshi Monsters !

Options
  • 09-02-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Series 1

moshi-monsters-collectible-figures.jpg

Series 2

Moshling%20series%202%20set%20including%20rares.jpg

I noticed this morning they now have Moshi Monsters Jellies (90 cent a packet).

Worth starting a thread here to see if prices of this stuff vary and where to pick them up perhaps cheaper - as it seems every child in Ireland has been sucked in by the Moshi Monsters :D:D

I'll start -

Tesco -

4 pack MM with secret Moshi - €5.99

2 piece blind bag - €2.49

Super Moshi Gold Collector Tin - €11.99

Ken Black -

2 piece blind bag - €2.49

Local Garage/Newsagent -

Super Moshi cards - €1.20 per packet

MM stickers - €0.99 per packet

Amazon -

Single Duvet Cover with Pillow - Circa €25.00

Super Moshi Collector Tin - €10.99

It seems as though the characters (or Moshlings excuse me;)) in the blind bags at €2.49 are the ones to have - the ULTRA RARE ones are in big demand (6 of them in series 2 - I won't name them :D), at €2.49 a pack of two it can become quite expensive to collect them all, I've noticed that a lot of the packets are scrunched up as people (adults like me !) tend to "feel" there way around the packet to get the characters they want ! In Tesco at one point they put the blind bags into those dvd clear plastic cases so one couldn't feel them !!!

So there you go, Moshi Monsters are taking over Ireland and our children's imagination !!! There is a website too where you can sign up but in my experience BE ULTRA careful as there are chat rooms on this, worth running over it yourself before letting your children on it.

PS - If anyone has an Ultra Rare Lady Goo Goo or Ultra Rare Dustbin Beaver please let me know, I'd be willing to part with Ultra Rare Plinky or an Ultra Rare Whurly (the helicopter fella !!)

Ok, stop laughing at my post and get back to work ! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Our kids' cousins are all mad about these things alright. I've never like the idea of the "Gotta Catch Em All" crap of Pokémon or it's myriad of spin-offs. The collecting cards back in my day when the packs were 30/40c was one thing but €2.50 for a lump of plastic that can't really be played with is something I actively try to discourage.

Ours occasionally get the Lego mini-fig surprise bags but that's because they already play Lego a lot and know that they're not getting to "collect" them all. New toysare for Birthdays, Christmas and the occasional treat for when they've been extra good imho, not something they can get every week and end up pestering mammy or daddy for (they know well what happens when they pester for things!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

yeah we've a moshi addict too :) has alot of the toys and is very into the cards and moshlings, I hear alot about his trades :) Don't think he's quite grasped the concept that he has to keep 1 of each to get them all, he trades what he has constantly :)

in fairness, he gets very little paid for him, only the website membership which is constantly under scrutiny to ensure he's earned it and everything else he buys with his own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

a lump of plastic that can't really be played with

Says who, you or a child ? :D:D What's the difference between a Moshi Monster and a Lego Character, they are both lumps of plastic in an adults eye? :rolleyes:

Come on, we all had this collect em all stuff growing up, didn't you ever collect Panini football stickers for example?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

vicwatson wrote: »
    Says who, you or a child ? :D:D

Come on, we all had this collect em all stuff growing up, didn't you ever collect Panini football stickers for example?

Kinder egg toys, I had a bucket full of them and they were all rubbish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Ahh this brings me back to the days when I collected Pokémon, had the entire card collection, had a lunchbox and all. :o:D

Not sure what Moshi is, haven't heard anything about it, is it anything like Yoshi? Heard the boyfriend (25) mention that a few times, he hasn't got a collection (that I know of anyway).

Anyone remember those Pokémon chewing gums? The ones that were around 5p, you got a sticker or tatoo with them? I loved them, my mother hated them, only my teenage years did I realise why, the smell.

• Advertisement

Not sure what Moshi is, haven't heard anything about it

Showing your age :D:D

I've posted some pics up for you on the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Showing your age :D:D

I've posted some pics up for you on the original post.
    :D:D :pac: 20yo.

Cheers for the pics, never seen Moshi before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Says who, you or a child ? :D:D What's the difference between a Moshi Monster and a Lego Character, they are both lumps of plastic in an adults eye? :rolleyes:
    Lego is, and has been since it's invention, almost inarguably the best toy in the world. It helps with the development of co-ordination, imagination, spatial awareness, logic, maths, physics and in more recent sets for older children: computer programming. Yes, the minifig on it's own is limited as a plaything but the new characters help spark the child's imagination to build things with their existing blocks e.g. a skatepark for the skateboarder, a castle for the evil witch etc.
    I had the batman stickers, turtles cards and the Italia '90 stickers as a child but my mother hated the idea of them as much as I do now so I never got even close to completing a set of those, which even adjusted for inflation (against the price of a mars bar) would cost maybe 60c a pack nowadays.

This "collect them all" stuff promotes consumerism and that wonderful marketing creation: "pester power". Neither traits I want to encourage in my children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

My daughter is hooked the other 2 kids not so much but one thing it's really done is made. Her interact with her peers she was quite introverted and she is like a different kid, she was in to collecting Lego and it's hard to avoid moshi monsters even if the school don't allow them but I only have a positive experience even her teacher commited on her change

Had the ultra rare lady goo goo only some little **** took it on her

• Advertisement

Lego is, and has been since it's invention, almost inarguably the best toy in the world. It helps with the development of co-ordination, imagination, spatial awareness, logic, maths, physics and in more recent sets for older children: computer programming. Yes, the minifig on it's own is limited as a plaything but the new characters help spark the child's imagination to build things with their existing blocks e.g. a skatepark for the skateboarder, a castle for the evil witch etc.

Yes, to an adult they can be both all of the above and they can also be a "lump of plastic". Moshi Monsters and the likes also create and help nuture the imagination and are also fun, fun, fun. MM and lego are more than a lump of plastic to a child though.
    I had the batman stickers, turtles cards and the Italia '90 stickers as a child but my mother hated the idea of them as much as I do now so I never got even close to completing a set of those, which even adjusted for inflation (against the price of a mars bar) would cost maybe 60c a pack nowadays.

This "collect them all" stuff promotes consumerism and that wonderful marketing creation: "pester power". Neither traits I want to encourage in my children.

Horses for courses I say :rolleyes:
    Lego is, and has been since it's invention, almost inarguably the best toy in the world.

And also arguably the best selling toy in the world also.

gcgirl wrote: »
    Had the ultra rare lady goo goo only some little **** took it on her

Noooooo, that's NOT on !, A swap is a swap but no thieving allowed. :)

That Lady Goo Goo (as well as the real Lady Ga Ga) has already caused consternations !!!:D

Lady goo goo seems to be the most elusive ultra rare of all of the 6.

Still no luck on lady goo goo
    Hopefully one of the blind packs comes up thrumps for you

Don't you know series 3 will be out by the time, and then all of a sudden Lady goo goo will appear in it's millions and the next set of ultra rares will become just that :D:D :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

My daughter has just started going on about these yokes....whats the craic with them? I've asked her and to be honest I dont think she really knows either, but becos EVERYONE in school has them she NEEDS them too :)

My daughter has just started going on about these yokes....whats the craic with them? I've asked her and to be honest I dont think she really knows either, but becos EVERYONE in school has them she NEEDS them too :)
    It's like the kids answer to crack cocaine ;) basically well the 2 nd series are little celeb characters eg lady goo goo is lady gaga, dustbin beaver is justin bieber, smyths & Argos are prob the best places to get cards n figures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

My little one is also addicted to them she recently got Lady go go and she said it was the best weekend she ever had just because she got lady go go.

My daughter has just started going on about these yokes....whats the craic with them? I've asked her and to be honest I dont think she really knows either, but becos EVERYONE in school has them she NEEDS them too

Check www.moshimonsters.com and www.moshimusic.com - there is an interactive website where you can log in and get new Moshi's etc, up to you whether you allow children on it but if I were you I'd run through the website myself beforehand. There are collector cards to be bought and swapped and then there are the little Moshling characters you can buy in "blind bags" i.e. you cannot see what you are buying but there are two to a bag - the pics of the Moshlings are on the back of the bag so you can feel the bag and try work out the shape of some of them but a lot of them are all a similar roundy shape but might be different colours or facial expressions, see the pics at the start of the thread. Children can swap them for ones they don't have with their friends, there are 6 ultra rares in series 2 and they are just that - ultra rare, with in my experience, Lady Goo Goo being the rarest of them !!
    gcgirl wrote: »
    It's like the kids answer to crack cocaine ;) basically well the 2 nd series are little celeb characters eg lady goo goo is lady gaga, dustbin beaver is justin bieber, smyths & Argos are prob the best places to get cards n figures

Smyths have a "sale" on some items at moment, Super Moshi Gold Collectors tin €9.99 (Tesco €11.99 and Hamleys €14.00 !!)

Collector cards are €0.99 cent in Smyths, €1.20 elsewhere

Bah Humbug, what a killjoy ! My one won't listen to her music since she took the case !:eek:
    campo wrote: »
    My little one is also addicted to them she recently got Lady go go and she said it was the best weekend she ever had just because she got lady go go.

My one just completed the collection of series 2 today but swapping Whurley for Lady Goo Goo, to say there is one happy camper in our house is a major understatement :D:D

• Advertisement

Funny pricing out there -

Was in Hamleys at weekend and they are a RIP OFF.

Blind Bag (2 Moshi Monsters) Hamleys - €5.00, yes €5.00 :eek::eek: these are €2.49 everywhere else. Everywhere else, cop on Hamleys.

Gold Collectors Tin, Smyths €9.99, Tesco €11.99, Hamleys €14.00 :eek::eek:

Poppet Bag - Play.com €6.99, Hamleys €11.00 :eek::eek:

So obviously Hamleys IS NOT the place to go buy Moshi Monsters unless you are really rich or really stupid :D

Series 3 out March 19th :o

There was a piece on today fm about the moshie monsters site being a dodgy chat room. Did anyone hear it last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Series 1

PS - If anyone has an Ultra Rare Lady Goo Goo or Ultra Rare Dustbin Beaver please let me know, I'd be willing to part with Ultra Rare Plinky or an Ultra Rare Whurly (the helicopter fella !!)

Ok, stop laughing at my post and get back to work ! :D

Have Dustin Beaver if you are still looking for a swap for Whurley

There was a piece on today fm about the moshie monsters site being a dodgy chat room. Did anyone hear it last week?
    Nope it's actually for a website I would prefer to detest very educational and even the teachers back in in my daughters school

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Plus 10

Hi - young lad hooked on this - list below of spares he has at the moment - anyone interested in swapping - pm and we can arrange a swap

Mr Snoodle, Peppy, Mini Ben, Fumble, Sweet Tooth, Scamp, White Fang, Kate Giggleton, Tyra Fangs, Luvli, Squiff, Bruiser, Freakface, Luvli, Pooky, L8, L5, R1, L2, R4, R7, R3,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I started buying the ones my daughter wants on Ebay - has worked out much cheaper - she was getting the same ones in the packs over and over again - at least this way we can collect the series - but i guess it does take the fun out of it a little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Plus 10

Plus 10 wrote: »
    Hi - young lad hooked on this - list below of spares he has at the moment - anyone interested in swapping - pm and we can arrange a swap

Mr Snoodle, Peppy, Mini Ben, Fumble, Sweet Tooth, Scamp, White Fang, Kate Giggleton, Tyra Fangs, Luvli, Squiff, Bruiser, Freakface, Luvli, Pooky, L8, L5, R1, L2, R4, R7, R3,

Bump - anyone interested in swapping spare moshi cards - prob not a full list but

Spare:Mr Snoodle, Peppy, Mini Ben, Fumble, Sweet Tooth, Scamp, White Fang, Kate Giggleton, Tyra Fangs, Luvli, Squiff, Bruiser, Freakface, Luvli, Pooky, Blurp, Broccoli Spears, Rocko, Art Lee, Tiki, Whurley, Fumble, Super Luvli, Mr Snoodle, Snookums, Mini Ben, Tyra Fangs, Goo Fighters, EctoScamp, Coolio, Rocky, Peppy, L8, L5, R1, L2, R4, R7, R3, R5, L6

Still looking for a good few

Advertisement