Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever stood in more than one country at a time??

• 09-02-2012 2:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭

Like having one foot over a border and the other foot in another country??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sat in a chair on the border of north and south korea, in one of the blue huts in the demilitarised zone. so, no, i haven't stood.
    thought i may as well use the chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I've had one foot in South Korea and one foot in North Korea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Does walking into an embassy count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

yes, up a mountain which shared the boarder of Togo and Ghana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can't say that I have :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭i_am_job

North and south korea ?? thought that was a dangerous and most heavily guarded border?? :eek:

also thats interesting ...does an embassy count?? anyone wanna shed some legal light on the topic ??

afterall eamon de valera was born on an american ship and he was regarded of being born on american soil so was granted citizenship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Once I stood in Laois and pissed into Kildare, but then realising I am from Kildare, walked over the border, still pissing, and started to piss into Laois.

Once I tried to piss over my own head. Didn't end well......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i_am_job wrote: »
    North and south korea ?? thought that was a dangerous and most heavily guarded border?? :eek:

also thats interesting ...does an embassy count?? anyone wanna shed some legal light on the topic ??

afterall eamon de valera was born on an american ship and he was regarded of being born on american soil so was granted citizenship

you can get tours to this place

http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.955697,126.676826&spn=0.001719,0.002789&t=h&z=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

There is a place in the Sahara where the borders of Tunisia, Algeria and Lybia meet.

Perfect spot for a game of twister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

France and Belgium, never put any thought into it until now. It wasn't too exciting. Smokes were cheaper in Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Been in America and Petoria at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I stood in a wardrobe and had one foot in Narnia and the other foot in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Well i live near the border so yeah. Its not that amazing:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I've had both feet in different counties to my arse before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

A mere foot in each country? Bah!
    I visited Kenya years ago and stood on the equator with one foot in each of the Earth's hemispheres! Ooooh-yeah, feel the win! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I've done it a couple of times.

One foot in The United Arab Emirates and one in Oman.
    One foot in Poland one in the Czech republic.
    One in Portugal one in Spain.
    I would live to do the same but with the equator, as in north/south...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I've stood with one foot in the eastern hemisphere and 1 in the west (Grenwich meridian in London) and done the same with the northern and southern sides of the equator (Quito in Equador).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

conorhal wrote: »
    I visited Kenya years ago and stood on the equator with one foot in each of the Earth's hemispheres! Ooooh-yeah, feel the win! :D

I'd only be impressed if you managed Australia and New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I've stood with one foot in the eastern hemisphere and 1 in the west (Grenwich meridian in London) and done the same with the northern and southern sides of the equator (Quito in Equador).

what about foot in east and north while other foot is in west and south.

hah! back you go

and pics to prove it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I've stood in Spain and Portugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Had to walk across the border between Cambodia and Vietnam near Ha Tien last month, a bit dodge with nothing but a dirt road at the crossing and officials trying to scam money out of you.

I've also stood with one foot north of the arctic circle and one foot south!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've crossed land borders of about 50 countries. Always made a point of getting a photo at the border line. In Basel you can stand where Switzerland, Germany and France meets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i_am_job wrote: »
    Like having one foot over a border and the other foot in another country??

yes with one foot in the republic of ireland and one in Northern ireland

also did one foot in canada and one in usa at the border checkpoint near niagra falls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Was 7000ft on top of a mountain that borders with Poland and Slovakia. Kept getting those roaming/welcome texts every few minutes for each different country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stood on the Argentina Paraguay Brazil border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This might answer the previous Embassy Legality question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I have visited many countries by either air, road or water. During one of those it is inneviteble I was in more than one country at the same time.

Whether I was standing or not I'm unsure of. But I have crossed international borders while sitting on the shitter if that's any consolation.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 wololo

one foot in northern ireland and the other in the republic :D

Standing in two countries at the same time is awesome and all but how about this interesting one?

Bir Tawil is an 800sq. mile area in Africa (between Egypt and Sudan) that isn't part of any country. It is one of the few land areas on earth that is not claimed by any state. No laws maybe? Could you commit murder there and be allowed away with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bir_Tawil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I've consciously done one foot each in Zambia and Zimbabwe.
    Also stood in the northern and southern hemispheres at the equator in both Kenya and Uganda

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Yep North and South Korea and also Thailand and Cambodia! I'm not sure if I did between Cambodia and Vietnam, I was mostly just thinking get me the f**k out of Cambodia!!

Sorry for the nerdiness but I've long been fascinated by things like this.

It's not exactly two different countries but how about being in four different States of America at the same time? The Four Corners Monument marks where Arizona, Colorado, Utah and New Mexico meet. This link actually has a couple of good photos of it, including someone inhabiting all four states at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners_Monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i took a piss in the north while my feet were still safely in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We use to play hopscotch while on border duty with the Irish army ie,hopping in and out between both sides.On different occasions while on a trip to Arnhem and Friesland in Hollond , I stuck one foot over in Germany.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Kenya and Tanzania was the only place I've done this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

ireland-UK
    Vatican-Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Northern Ireland and Rep of Ireland.
    Wales and England.
    Canada and USA.
    German and Austria.
    French Alps.
    Not a country, but the Meridian Line in Greenwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Did you do the real one? It's about 100m away from the middle of the world monument. They discovered that was wrong when they got GPS.
    Basically, it's not this, it's this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.
    Scotland and England.
    Wales and England.
    Slovakia and Czech Republic.
    Slovakia and Ukraine.
    Iran and Turkey.
    Dutch St Maarten and French Saint Martin in Caribbean Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

England / Ireland a few years ago. Was the one and only time I was up north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    There is a place in the Sahara where the borders of Tunisia, Algeria and Lybia meet.

Perfect spot for a game of twister

You'd need three legs for that.

In before the ... "I've a middle leg does that count?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sorry for the nerdiness but I've long been fascinated by things like this.

It's not exactly two different countries but how about being in four different States of America at the same time? The Four Corners Monument marks where Arizona, Colorado, Utah and New Mexico meet. This link actually has a couple of good photos of it, including someone inhabiting all four states at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners_Monument

A bit like the State of Confusion whe rafting down the Potomac/Shenandoah where West Virginia, Virginia and Maryland meet.

Tell me he didnt just say that.....

Must have have some Stretch Armstrong legs on ya to be able to stand in England and Ireland at the same time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've stood in:

England/Wales
    France/Monaco
    France/Belgium

And of course I've stood over the Meridian Line in Greenwich. (Being from Sarf London, this is done as a matter of course!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Switzerland/Germany at the Konstanz Beerfest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yore ma and yore sister.

Oh wait country, nah, Iv'e never left Doooblin.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

conorhal wrote: »

Did you do Twig in water thing?? or what ever it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

So you've never been to England then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Stood on the bridge at Niagra Falls between USA and Canada. There was a white line on the bridge marking the border and I have a picture I took showing a foot either side of the white line.

BTW, is it possible for the public to stand on the spot were Dublin, Meath, and Kildare meet or is it in a private field ?

chughes wrote: »
    Stood on the bridge at Niagra Falls between USA and Canada. There was a white line on the bridge marking the border and I have a picture I took showing a foot either side of the white line.

BTW, is it possible for the public to stand on the spot were Dublin, Meath, and Kildare meet or is it in a private field?

Is that on the backroads between Leixlip and Dunboyne somewhere?

• Advertisement
Advertisement