Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are vegeterain or vegan then why?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭

Which one are you and for what reason?

Animal rights or health?

How do other people judge you?

What do you eat in lieu of meat for protein?

Do you think people who are vegetarian but eat cod liver oils are hypocrites?

OI am not veggie or vegan btw?

And do you find the term veggie offensive?

regards

i_am_job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm a vegetarian, for animal rights reasons.
    Not SO much because I think people should never ever kill animals, but more because I think they shouldn't do so needlessly, and should not inflict unnecessary suffering on the animal while its alive.

I'm not sure anyone judges me, to be honest. Curiously, most people seem to judge themselves the moment I tell them I'm vegetarian, and get very defensive about them eating meat (I NEVER judge anyone, this reaction is usually caused by the simple sentence "I'm vegetarian"), either telling me why they do it, or telling me they'd always wanted to eat less meat/be vegetarian themselves, but just can't seem to do it....

I don't think people who don't eat meat, but might wear a leather belt, or take cod liver oil, or anything like that are hypocrites. the choice of what to do or not should be up to each individual, a lot of people would be vegetarian cause they don't like the taste of meat, why shouldn't they take cod liver oil?
    That said, if they then give out about other people eating meat, the ARE hypocrites.

No, I don't find the term veggie offensive. I never thought there might be people who do?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i_am_job wrote: »
    Vegetarian because I aim to minimise the amount of suffering I cause.
    I have no idea and I don't really care. Most people don't care, some non-veggies get very defensive and aggressive about it and feel the need to challenege it. That's about it.
    Eggs, milk, cheese, nuts, pulses, tofu, vegetables, the list is endless. Meat doesn't have a monopoly on any nutrient.
    No, they're just not vegetarian.
    No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

vegetarian but former vegan for 2 years
    Animal rights or health?

health

i never tell people.

eggs, chickpeas, beans, soy (sparingly), lentils

no. there not vegetarians but allegedly healthier since they're pescestarian

no
    regards

i_am_job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Vegetarian. It's simply the rational and ethical choice not to eat meat. There are compelling ethical and practical reasons not to eat meat. There is no reason to eat meat apart from indulgence.

Animal rights or health?

Animal rights. Environmentalism too. Health is a bonus.

I try to sell it. The last person to try to persuade me to eat steak has been following a vegetarian diet since.

Beans/lentils/chick peas/quinoa/tofu. I consume milk and eggs too, but I favour vegetable protein. Compensating too much with other forms of animal protein might be missing the point a bit.

Vegetarians dont eat fish oil by definition.

okey dokey. This question confuses me.

no. I'm surprised at the suggestion someone might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Vegetarian. I can live without me eating meat. Animals can live without me eating meat.
    Animal rights or health?

Animal rights mainly. I wouldn't kill an animal to eat it even if I was starving. Health - like blatantrereg said - is a nice bonus.

They don't. And I wouldn't care what they think anyway really.

Eggs, cheese, Quorn, Fry's vegetarian range.

A vegetarian wouldn't eat them.

That's easy for you to say

No. Should I?
    regards

Thank you
    i_am_job

I am Nyum Nyum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Animal rights or health?

Vegan. Eating animals is unnecessary and cruel. I think killing something for your appetite is unjustified.

People are fine. When they find out, they're usually surprised but realise I'm not a freak after we talk.

Pulses, nuts, seeds and occasionally fake meat. This is a lot more varied than it might sound since there are many types of each. I get plenty of protein.

No. They're not vegetarians.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Vegetarian. I went off the taste of meat from when I was about 12 and went fully veggie when I moved out. I reckon humans are omnivores so we have a choice to eat meat, I choose not to.

Animal rights or health?

Now it's a certain amount of animal rights too, I think it's too easy for people to eat meat without considering how the animal lived or died and what quality of life it had. I think people need to have far more awareness of factory farming and factory slaughter houses

People start justifying why they're not vegetarian or why they eat meat if I say I'm vegetarian so mostly I say that I don't eat meat, it seems not to have the same reaction for some reason.

Now that I'm raising a veggie child though I get a bit of disapproval, mainly from public health nurses and the like, I go in depth to how I replace protein and normally leave them a little goggle eyed :D

Quorn, quineoa, dairy, seeds and nuts, tofu, and wide mix of veggies

Like others have said, they're not vegetarian they're pescetarian

No! Mind you hubby calls me a herbivore!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Animal rights or health?
    Animal rights.

Some think I'm weird or gay!

Milk products, lentils, chickpeas, beans.

No. Cod liver oil is a very healthy product and provides nutrition that a veggie might find hard to get elsewhere like omega 3s. Also for vitamin D during winter months. Any veggie might eat might very occasionally because there is little else available, but that is understandable in difficult circumstances. I eat fish twice a year maybe, for example.

Yes. It makes a mockery out of my eating habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Animal rights or health?

Neither. Eating (most) meat disgusts me (I can stand to eat mince, that's about it) but I can do if I've no other option. To be honest, eating quite a few types of veg disgusts me too unfortunately, which complicates things greatly.

They think I'm weird. If it was an ethical or health position they'd understand it, if not agree with it, but the idea of someone just being repulsed by the idea of eating meat is weird to many people.

Pulses, Nuts, Grains.

No, I think they just have an odd definition of vegetarian. Which is fine. To each their own. If vegetarianism is about harm reduction then they're doing their bit etc.

No, but I'm generally not called one since I don't hold the ethical position and I don't really think of myself as a veggie either because of this. Then I don't have a problem with the terms semi-vegetarian or flexitarian either so I'm not very sensitive about these terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Which one are you and for what reason? Vegan

Animal rights or health? Rights

How do other people judge you? They make fun of me sometimes but it's all just bant.

What do you eat in lieu of meat for protein? Nuts, quinoa etc..

Do you think people who are vegetarian but eat cod liver oils are hypocrites? They're not vegetarian..

OI am not veggie or vegan btw? .... righto :P

And do you find the term veggie offensive? Not really :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement