Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mom Gift Bag

Options
  • 09-02-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All

I want to put together a 'New Mom' gift bag full of goodies for a friend of mine who is due her first baby soon. Would love suggestions on what to put in it please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

racram wrote: »
    Hi All

I want to put together a 'New Mom' gift bag full of goodies for a friend of mine who is due her first baby soon. Would love suggestions on what to put in it please.

I gave a present to a friend of Clinique/Clarins shower gels and shampoos etc. after she had her first. She loved it.

It was also the only present anyone got for her, everyone else bought loads of stuff for the baby.

Might not work for you but it's a suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Not meaning to sound like I'm criticizing your idea but is your friend really into creams and lotions. I ask because I know after my daughter was born last year I was lucky to get a 5min shower so even the 1 bottle of nice lotion I was given as a present is still sitting unused a year later. Now I'm not big into creams and moisturisers but would have put on a bit of body lotion after a shower before she was born.

However I was given a wonderful present of delicious ready meals from Avoca and they were really appreciated. I've never been so happy to be given a lasagne. It meant I had a delicious dinner that required a minute's effort on my part.

You know your friend best though so maybe she'd love a gift bag like you suggest in which case ignore me:P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

Thanks for the replies, Mr Magners I like the idea of shampoo and lotions. annamcmahon I completely understand where you are coming from, being a new Mom you have no time for yourself, that's why I was trying to think of a few items that would be just for the Mom and maybe a little outfit and nappies for the baby. Everyone buys for the baby and I just wanted some little token ideas for the Mom.

The dinner idea is great though, Hmmmmm.....Thinking hat on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I'm the same as annamcmahon, potions and lotions would be the last thing I'd want.

But you know your friend best. What's she into?

What I would love (ring sling, cloth nappies... you get the idea) is going to be completely different from what someone else might like.

The ready meals are a great idea, cooking is one thing that every new Mum is going to struggle to find time for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I think lovely smelly shower/bath things are a great idea. She may not be able to use them immediately...but you never know her o/h might give her a night off where she can go have a steaming hot soak and pamper herself. She'll feel so good afterwards. It's good to get practical presents, but it's also good to get something just for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would have loved a nice fancy shower gel and everyone showers! Clarins do a lovely one suitable for sensitive skin and also baby skin.
    A friend got me a pretty plant and bubble bath, I loved it.

I think a take away voucher is a great one,there are not enough minutes in the day to cook in the early days,nice biscuits cause you have never ending visitors.

A shopping hook for her buggy is handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

My friend got me a voucher for a restaurant and made a lovely babysitting voucher too. This was a fantastic present and we were delighted to put it to use. We didn't use it straight away but something to look forward to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my best present after a baby was a bag of ikea meatballs and and bag of mash, hand lotion and a game for the older two. my friend hit all the bases.

dinner, hands get washed a lot in the early days and the other two needed amusing while i fed.
    My mom bought me a bundle of lovely soft towels as a hospital bag pressie.

potion and lotions are great but I am an organic girl and am fussy about what i use so be careful.

Other good bits and bobs are muslin squares (ikea do the best), some little baskets for bits and bobs, a baby sleeping bag, a nice, snuggly, robe for mommy, multi-mam nipple balm, a big soft scarf or shawl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Nappies, wipes, baby pack with nail clippers thermometers etc, soothers, bibs, chocolate, wine, crisps, smelly candle, bubble bath... all or some of the above... i got one like this and i loved it.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

lynski wrote: »
    my best present after a baby was a bag of ikea meatballs and and bag of mash, hand lotion and a game for the older two. my friend hit all the bases.

dinner, hands get washed a lot in the early days and the other two needed amusing while i fed.
    My mom bought me a bundle of lovely soft towels as a hospital bag pressie.

potion and lotions are great but I am an organic girl and am fussy about what i use so be careful.

Other good bits and bobs are muslin squares (ikea do the best), some little baskets for bits and bobs, a baby sleeping bag, a nice, snuggly, robe for mommy, multi-mam nipple balm, a big soft scarf or shawl

This! My sister in law made a hamper with nappies/nappy creams for baby/sponges/bibs/vests/cotton wool balls... but the thing I used the most (the cotton wool balls haven't even been used yet!) is the little basket it all came in, with three in nappies at the time (now two, yay for potty training!), I use it to store nappies/wipes/nappy bags in for quick changes in the sitting room and just refill it with whatever is needed when empty, saves me looking in the press in the hall for the nappies all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i too would advise to be cautious with lotions and potions,

a lot of people have personal preference so if you know hers by all means go for it,

personally in the first few weeks my daughter was born i didnt want to leave her side, she was 1year old before i even got my hair done, had a bath (it was only because i had to quick showers while she napped), bought new clothes and put on makeup again. :o and i had an other half who would have taken her off me in the evenings. all i wanted was more time and sleep.

for the first year it was all about her and she was the most important thing in my life,

going on that basis i would advise long lasting gifts that wont expire or go off because chances are the first few months will fly by and she might not get to use them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I'm the same January. I got a basket of stuff from my huband's aunt but as most of it was Johnson and Johnson I didn't use the stuff. Over a year later I still use the basket for hold all the changing stuff though and find it brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I got a friend a voucher for a nice clothes shop. She didnt use it for about 4 months but said she loved having it to look forward. Also gave perfune to a couple of friends but again only to close friends who I knew what they wore.

I have also done cinema Voucher and added one in for someplace to get get a bit to eat as well. Again they didn't use it for a number of months.

Another one is a years subscription for tatler and a vocher for a coffee shop.

Love the one for a take away voucher, will be using that one!!

Advertisement