Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 mystery reaveled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I see reference markers but no references!

How do I know what you say is real, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

It's how people start conversations on Boards.

Or is that answer too sarcastic even for AH?

Nah id say your about rite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Conbhar wrote: »
    I doubt manbearpig would be subtle enough to pull of something like this

You sir underestimate the cunning of a being with the intellect of not one, not even two, but three species on which to draw from.

The grooming habits of a pig, the ferocity of a bear, and the intellect of a man.

Makes for a cunning adversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It is does sound pretty freaky, though there's a fairly convincing explanation here.
    The trauma and the destroyed tent points to an avalanche. Their state of undress can be explained by paradoxical undressing, a known behavior of hypothermia victims when their brains start to freeze and malfunction. In other words, it's the kind of behavior you'd expect from a group of injured avalanche victims wandering around in the middle of the night in the freezing cold.

Surely if there had been an avalanche there would have been signs of it and things like footprints and the tents would have been covered up?

Sindri wrote: »
    You sir underestimate the cunning of a being with the intellect of not one, not even two, but three species on which to draw from.

The grooming habits of a pig, the ferocity of a bear, and the intellect of a man.

Makes for a cunning adversary.

Ha, i see your manbearpig and raise you my goatfishdog!

All the aquatic know how of a fish, the obedience of a dog and the manic jumping madness of a goat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

It'd have to be the JFK assassination. It's the only big conspiracy theory I entertain and actively endorse. I'd love to know what really happened.

Conbhar wrote: »
    Ha, i see your manbearpig and raise you my goatfishdog!

All the aquatic know how of a fish, the obedience of a dog and the manic jumping madness of a goat!

I see...manbearpig can go invisible at will, and he can taste I can't believe it's not butter and actually believe it's not butter.:P Looks like manbearpig wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I'd love to know what this post means.
    gamgsam wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I see...manbearpig can go invisible at will, and he can taste I can't believe it's not butter and actually believe it's not butter.:P Looks like manbearpig wins.

Cant feckin beat that, you win:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Surely if there had been an avalanche there would have been signs of it and things like footprints and the tents would have been covered up?

That does seem a bit strange, but it might not have been such a big avalanche. Enough snow falling at speed to hurt them, but not to bury them or the tents.

I'm just typing as I think here, but I suppose that even if they were buried a bit, some of the snow might have melted by the time the bodies were found.

• Advertisement

That does seem a bit strange, but it might not have been such a big avalanche. Enough snow falling at speed to hurt them, but not to bury them or the tents.

I'm just typing as I think here, but I suppose that even if they were buried a bit, some of the snow might have melted by the time the bodies were found.

No I think that's unlikely. Hypothermia is the most likely possibility as you already said. Avalanches aren't consistent with the evidence. And there was a huge inquisition into it, an avalanche would have been noticed I think, you can usually tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The seemingly obvious answer to this mystery is that it was an avalanche. Why don’t people believe that this is the case?

The answer to this question has been compiled by a combination of review, first hand testimony and personal investigation. The evidence against an avalanche is as follows:

At the time of discovery, the specific location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place. Many people have assumed that because the search and rescue party seen in old photographs had snow prods there must have been considerable movement of snow. In actual fact the snow prod is merely standard rescue equipment.

A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics has revealed that the location is not conducive to the formation of snow build up of the kind that causes an avalanche.
    * "More than 100 expeditions to the region have been held since the event took place and none of them have ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche in this location."

The first bodies were found within ten days of the event and only covered with a shallow layer of (atmospheric) snow. Had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party then these bodies would have been swept away as well.

The condition of the tent when it was discovered indicated that it had not been impacted with any form of snow flow of sufficient strength to knock over the poles. Put another way – it had collapsed laterally not horizontally. This is clearly visible in the photographs.

An avalanche would have left “Flow” patterns and other “debris” distributed over a wide area. Neither of these indicators were ever found.

Dyatlov Pass - Vertical Tent Poles

An avalanche of sufficient strength to “sweep” four people into a ravine – beyond the tree line – some 1.5 kilometres from their tent should have produced two results. Firstly it would have caused far more serious and different injuries and secondly it would have damaged the tree line at the point of impact. Neither of these conditions were ever observed.

The "dangerous" conditions sometimes referred to by proponents of the avalanche theory were observed in April and May when the snow falls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions. In addition, the so called conditions were observed in a different location with significantly steeper slopes and cornices.

An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a “miraculous” avalanche, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent.

Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotarev was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been foolish enough to allow the camp to be established anywhere in the path of a possible avalanche.

There had initially been some speculation that the indigenous Mansi people might have attacked and murdered the group for encroaching upon their lands, but investigation indicated that the nature of their deaths did not support this thesis; the hikers' footprints alone were visible, and they showed no sign of hand-to-hand struggle.

“It is important not to make generalizations about ethnic peoples. It would be like saying that all Afro-Americans are criminals or that only Arabs are terrorists. In fact the Mansi people are the most peaceful people of the Ural and Trans-Ural regions. They had absolutely no reason to attack people – even for their possessions.”

Their behavior is more in line with people who have been blinded by
    something.

The victims’ tent was “cut from the inside”

"Reconstructions of the victims’ behavior indicated that they may have been blinded. An example is that the victims broke wet tree branches to start their campfire, though there was good dry kindling nearby."

"The Dyatlov Pass Accident is truly a horrible accident, and a fascinating story. But one doesn’t need to look at influence from UFOs, Yeti, or other supernatural explanations, or even an “unknown compelling force”. A bit of critical thinking and skeptical analysis tells the story: A group of very unlucky people stumbled into some weapons testing. The Dyatlov Pass Accident was a terrible event, but hardly a mystery. Those nine people just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths.

The matter was classified by the Russian government until 1993.

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/08/...pelling-force/

No I think that's unlikely. Hypothermia is the most likely possibility as you already said. Avalanches aren't consistent with the evidence. And there was a huge inquisition into it, an avalanche would have been noticed I think, you can usually tell.

I thought a big avalanche at least would definitely be out of the question, and most of the rest of the evidence could be explained by hypothermia, but what would explain their injuries then? Animals at the dead bodies? Edit: probably not, it was crushing trauma. Hhm...

A group of very unlucky people stumbled into some weapons testing. The Dyatlov Pass Accident was a terrible event, but hardly a mystery. Those nine people just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths.

The matter was classified by the Russian government until 1993.

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/08/...pelling-force/

That's interesting stuff about the avalanches, but weapons testing seems like a big leap to make. Wouldn't there have been evidence of the weapons, like damage to the environment?

I thought a big avalanche at least would definitely be out of the question, and most of the rest of the evidence could be explained by hypothermia, but what would explain their injuries then? Animals at the dead bodies? Edit: no, it was crushing trauma. Hhm...

That's interesting stuff about the avalanches, but weapons testing seems like a big leap to make. Wouldn't there have been evidence of the weapons, like damage to the environment?

"Another group of hikers (about 50 kilometers south of the incident) reported that they saw strange orange spheres in the night sky to the north (likely in the direction of Kholat Syakhl) on the night of the incident.[1] Similar "spheres" were observed in Ivdel and adjacent areas continually during the period of February to March 1959, by various independent witnesses (including the meteorology service and the military)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident#Controversy_surrounding_investigation

Might not have been a weapons test though.

Pretty convenient for the Soviets to label the cause as "a compelling unknown force" and classify the case until 1993.

Their behaviour does strike me though of people who are blinded and panicked. Scary thought.

"Another group of hikers (about 50 kilometers south of the incident) reported that they saw strange orange spheres in the night sky to the north (likely in the direction of Kholat Syakhl) on the night of the incident.[1] Similar "spheres" were observed in Ivdel and adjacent areas continually during the period of February to March 1959, by various independent witnesses (including the meteorology service and the military)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident#Controversy_surrounding_investigation

Might not have been a weapons test though.

Pretty convenient for the Soviets to label the cause as "a compelling unknown force" and classify the case until 1993.

Their behaviour does strike me though of people who are blinded and panicked. Scary thought.

It might have been the light from some kind of helicopter, though it seems that there was no mention of the lights (or radioactivity) in the original report, so they might have been added on later and might not be so trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I told you it was manbearpig!!!

SHHHH

We Warned You.

Personally if they say by a compelling unknown force, I'd be of the opinion to discard that and wonder, under the disorientating effects of hypothermia that they posiblty did it to themselves by running into something possibly. But that's just highly speculative.

Personally if they say by a compelling unknown force, I'd be of the opinion to discard that and wonder, under the disorientating effects of hypothermia that they posiblty did it to themselves by running into something possibly. But that's just highly speculative.

I definitely think that hypothermia is the main cause of their deaths.
    We might never know what exactly caused the trauma, but I'm sure it was something mundane.

Or the results of a Soviet yeti-breeding programme.

I definitely think that hypothermia is the main cause of their deaths.
    We might never know what exactly caused the trauma, but I'm sure it was something mundane.

Or the results of a Soviet yeti-breeding programme.

I think everyone agrees they died of hypothermia , its the events leading up to that, that's in doubt.

Paradoxical undressing was dismissed because as people started dieing the survivors took their clothes, they also lit a fire to try and stay warm.

It's clear they were forced to leave their tent in a panic, there is no evidence for paradoxical undressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Why did I have the bowl,Bart? Why did I have the bowl?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes but what actually causes ageing, we can address, the maximum lifespan anyone can live is about 120 years, the oldest woman as far as I know was 122 years old. What causes it, the eventual inability of cells to reproduce as there is a finite amount of times that they can, could actually be solved.
    Most cells are programmed to die. When this program fails and cells start multiplying we call it cancer.

http://www.grg.org/calment.html

http://www.grg.org/images/DGenneryMaleFemaleMortality.jpg - straight line on a log scale means your chances of dying increase as you get older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Back on topic, I want to see what was really in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. I want to see it god damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

What became of Mr Pink,in Reservoir Dogs?:confused:

Most cells are programmed to die. When this program fails and cells start multiplying we call it cancer.

http://www.grg.org/calment.html

http://www.grg.org/images/DGenneryMaleFemaleMortality.jpg - straight line on a log scale means your chances of dying increase as you get older

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

My point had nothing to do with cancer or what is contained in your link. I'm referring to regenerative medicines and negligible senescence. Research done mostly by the SENS Foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Who dropped a deuce in the urinal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

justryan wrote: »
    Who dropped a deuce in the urinal?

Sounds like a job for the Hardly Boys...

Is there really such a thing *leans in and whispers* as the female orgasm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Is there really such a thing *leans in and whispers* as the female orgasm?

Oooh there is now, sindri... So sensual...

Oh; wait.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SA295, the Helderberg plane crash near Mauritius.

What was in the cargo, what started the fire, why despite attepts to put out a "computer parts" fire could it not be put out and the doors have to be opened, who in the Apartheid government put it there and why did the plane take three minutes from last radio contact to crash..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

pacquiao wrote: »
    RedXIV wrote: »
    seriously, how does a woman's mind work!?
    turn your mouse so the wire is facing you and try use it.
    DO IT NOW !!!!
    Easy. Next..?

• Advertisement

The mystery of the puppy who couldn't wag his tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Domo230 wrote: »
    Thats a strange one.

What do the conspiracy theory forum think of it?

I dare say they'd find a way to blame it on the Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

vicwatson wrote: »
    Who really did shoot JR?

Mystery solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Americans owning guns for protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I think everyone agrees they died of hypothermia , its the events leading up to that, that's in doubt.

Paradoxical undressing was dismissed because as people started dieing the survivors took their clothes, they also lit a fire to try and stay warm.

It's clear they were forced to leave their tent in a panic, there is no evidence for paradoxical undressing.

I think they were smoking crack in the woods and started doin some fcuked up sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Domo230 wrote: »
    Thats a strange one.

What do the conspiracy theory forum think of it?

They probably blame it on the jews.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It might have been the light from some kind of helicopter, though it seems that there was no mention of the lights (or radioactivity) in the original report, so they might have been added on later and might not be so trustworthy.
    My personal take on it would be this; Back then jet aircraft were rare enough sights. More to the point sounds. They bed down for the night in what looks like a good position and fall asleep. Later in the night a military jet or two jets doing night time training passes low over the camp site. Military jets even today are a lot louder in general than commercial. I've had an F16 go over my head and you know you've been tangoed.

They wake with a start, hearing an odd and very loud shrieking roar echoing off the mountains. Their experience may have doomed them. Half asleep they assumed it was an avalanche as they also roar. They panic and run away from the camp and this imagined avalanche. In the dark and sub zero temps they become totally disorientated. They didn't need to be blinded, it was after all the middle of the night. They succumb to falls and the cold. The missing tongue was a scavenging animal. They tend to go for the eyes and the tongue. Soft, easy to get at and tasty.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PS this might explain the "orange lights" seen by others, too far to hear. Two or more jets climbing and flying away from the observer would be seen as orange lights climbing vertically as you'd be looking down their exhaust, especially if they had afterburners. Also might explain a "cover up" as the air force would be naturally wary of being connected with civilian deaths/and or were secret planes for the time. More, they may have never realised they were to blame.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The Blair Witch perhaps?

Wibbs wrote: »
    My personal take on it would be this; Back then jet aircraft were rare enough sights. More to the point sounds. They bed down for the night in what looks like a good position and fall asleep. Later in the night a military jet or two jets doing night time training passes low over the camp site. Military jets even today are a lot louder in general than commercial. I've had an F16 go over my head and you know you've been tangoed.

They wake with a start, hearing an odd and very loud shrieking roar echoing off the mountains. Their experience may have doomed them. Half asleep they assumed it was an avalanche as they also roar. They panic and run away from the camp and this imagined avalanche. In the dark and sub zero temps they become totally disorientated. They didn't need to be blinded, it was after all the middle of the night. They succumb to falls and the cold. The missing tongue was a scavenging animal. They tend to go for the eyes and the tongue. Soft, easy to get at and tasty.

That sounds pretty convincing.
    I suppose the main mysterious element of the story is what caused them to leave their tent and not return, and then hypothermia and scavenging animals explain the rest.
    Jet engines would probably have the effect on them you described, especially if they were woken up. I guess any loud noise would do the trick, if they thought it was an avalanche or a wild animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This is one I'd love to know the answer to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_1962_Alcatraz_escape

I love the film Escape From Alcatraz and watched a documentary about the escape last night on the Discovery Channel.

Frank Morris and the Anglin brothers have never been found alive or dead and the documentary last night shed new light on the investigation, suggesting in all probability, they could well have managed to make it to the mainland.

What happened after that is a matter of conjecture, but secret FBI files revealed a car was stolen from the vicinity the next day and a witness made a statement saying that he believed the Anglin brothers were staying with a relative soon after the escape. That relative was not located, however.

Fasinating stuff altogether and they are still the only inmates ever to have 'successfully' escaped from Alcatraz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Back on topic, I want to see what was really in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. I want to see it god damn it.

It was a light bulb and some gold foil.......... check the extras on the DVD!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dfx- wrote: »
    SA295, the Helderberg plane crash near Mauritius.

What was in the cargo, what started the fire, why despite attepts to put out a "computer parts" fire could it not be put out and the doors have to be opened, who in the Apartheid government put it there and why did the plane take three minutes from last radio contact to crash..
    Computer parts that could catch fire - lithium batteries ( cmos battery )

nowadays I'd also add magnesium frames in laptops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Airways_Flight_295
    Reports from the Project Coast investigation suggested there was a weighbill showing that 300 grams of highly volatile activated carbon
    oh yeah
    activated carbon eh ?
    not particularly volatile, doesn't melt till you get to over 3550C , an oxy-acetylene flame only gets to 3500C
    activated carbon is the stuff you get in a charcoal filter for kitchen extractor

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

My point had nothing to do with cancer or what is contained in your link. I'm referring to regenerative medicines and negligible senescence. Research done mostly by the SENS Foundation.
    My point is that ageing is caused by regulated growth of cells.
    Cancer is what happens when the regulation ain't working.

http://scholar.google.com/ is a handy filter when looking up pseudoscience links, to get to peer reviewed links you also have to verify that the reviews don't come from sister sites. Maybe pseudoscience is the wrong word to use but we are so far from being able to safely manipulate what goes on in our body in relation to ageing that any claims other than basic research could be ignored without a significant burden of proof, mainly because of the potential to attract money.

Perhaps you should invest in orbo http://www.steorn.com/
    Since its foundation in 2000, Steorn has worked on innovative technologies in a number of areas, including e-commerce, anti-fraud, and energy for companies ranging from start-ups to multi-nationals.
    anti-fraud LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Does size matter? lolcatz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Why do the Scots talk funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Always wanted to know what happened the Ark of the covenant.Would'nt mind taking a peak inside.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Always wanted to know what happened the Ark of the covenant.Would'nt mind taking a peak inside.;)
    Looking inside the Lost Ark? That would explain what happened here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What do prions attached to brain cells do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭D_D

Is this thread not essentially 'What is your favourite mystery', which has been before in a very successful thread?

I'm not having this...

Advertisement